Pelagic Charters -offshore report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by captain william wall, Nov 11, 2008.

1. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

I just got in from a string off trips in Venice and Grand Isle

Nov. 3rd I had cody,kyle and Mike Lane along to do a little filming on the Invinsible out of Grand Isle. We made our way to the shrimpboats to check them out and put three blackfin 15-25lbs in the boat quick and then nothing. Rolled south to the floaters and we were marking fish but they were deep and didn't want the livies. Stayed at it all afternoon and started to chunk and ended up going three for five on yellows with the biggest around 60lbs. Tough day and rough seas but still was fun.

Nov. 5 and 6th I had Richard baudry along with his wife Becky and son Allen for an overnighter out of Venice. We left Wed. morning around 8:00am and headed downriver. One pitstop for mullet and headed offshore. First stop was dead and we went further south. Second stop looked good with no boats. I put a large mullet out and placed it in the rigger and was working on the second when richard yells look! The tuna left a huge hole under the poor mullet and I gave it a five count and put the hooks to him. This fish ran off about 400yrds of line on a 50w and pulled the hooks! This time i put out two live hardtails and five minutes later a fish in the 150-175 class launched 8ft. out of the water with the bait. This time the hooks stuck. Richard fought this fish for about 30 min. and passed the rod to allen and then to me. I gave the rod back to richard after he caught his breath and 1ht. 45min. later broke the fish off at the floro. I was starting to see red but stayed cool and repeated the process again. Darkness was soon falling after another swing and a miss on a large fish. The blackfin were starting to work over the flying fish
    and the crew were steady hammering them on butterfly jigs when richards
    Trevala rod double's over and the 4/0 Avet stating singing. Thiry minutes later a 80lber hits the deck. Cool deal. We fished for three more hours boating six more yellows in the 50-75 class on the chunk. Headed in and made one stop for a grouper and pulled a 45lb warsaw. Great trip and was a pleasure to fish with the Baudry's.

Nov 10 I had Chris Achinson along with his dad and uncle. Seas were rough, bait was easy. No tuna. Fished five differant areas hard with no luck. Tough day with only one srike on a livie. Came back in the dark with an empty box.

Nov. 11 Peace Marvel asked me to deckhand for him and we hit some differant areas out of the way. His crew was from Florida and were all captains. We spent the day catching jumbo blackfin behind the shrimp boats and these guys had a ball. Its nice to see people get excited
    when they see fish.
    The cool weather and the full moon should signal the arrival of the wahoo. The lump season is around the corner and should be good this year. Give me a call to book youir next trip.

Captain William Wall
    Pelagic Charters
    www.pelagicchartesllc.com

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

how much drag are you running for it to take 400 yards??

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

how much drag are you running for it to take 400 yards??

Not much, but daytime for YF I would imagine he was using 50lb or 60lb FC at most with live bait or chunks

d-a

4. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

rtran- My 50w's are set at 20lb at strike. I eased the drag forward about half inch forward to slow him down to no avail. I was fishing in 3500ft.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

maybe you hooked a giant bluefin as they are know to run through there, a giant bluefin will defiantely smoke a 50 for 400 yards either way great report. Peace is a good guy

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

maybe you hooked a giant bluefin ......

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

7. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I have seen a 140# yft almost dump a 50w at the lump. I am sure he knows what he hooked no offense guys.

As most of you guys know some tuna are meaner than others.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I have seen a 140# yft almost dump a 50w at the lump. I am sure he knows what he hooked no offense guys.

i just merely asked how much drag he had set...

for a fish to run off 400 yardw with drag set at 20 at strike and with it increasing as lines go out it must of been a giant

jareedchasteen, how much drag were you running when that fish almost spool that 50w?

9. gman

gman Senior Member

no one said he didn't know what he hooked, we were speculating ... I thought I hooked a Mako and it turned out to be a thresher ... point being if you don't see it sometimes you get surprised.

I was adding my personal opinion no offense meant to him. Personally I have never seen a yellowfin dump that much line with that much drag because as you know as the line leaves that reel the drag increase therefore his 20 pounds by 200 yards gone is probably 25 pounds by the time its 400 jesus thats a lot of drag

10. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I wasnt trying to start anything so i hope you guys arent angry with my comments.

gman,
    You have caught many more fish than me, and you know that you never know what you get when you put the line over. Thats why we do it right?

rtan,
    I dont know it was with a captain (he said 18#s)but i know the fish was done after that run, i simply cranked him right up. Piepuncher was on the reel first and after chasing it down he was to tired to reel anymore( already caught countless bonita, bfts, and two big yft). I took the reel from him and finished it total fight time 15 minutes. The first yft (140#) we hooked took 45 minutes and made circles bigger than ther glacier bay.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

I wasnt trying to start anything so i hope you guys arent angry with my comments.

gman,
    You have caught many more fish than me, and you know that you never know what you get when you put the line over. Thats why we do it right?

rtan,
    I dont know it was with a captain (he said 18#s)but i know the fish was done after that run, i simply cranked him right up. Piepuncher was on the reel first and after chasing it down he was to tired to reel anymore( already caught countless bonita, bfts, and two big yft). I took the reel from him and finished it total fight time 15 minutes. The first yft (140#) we hooked took 45 minutes and made circles bigger than ther glacier bay.

Jared absolutely not, Im sorry if it came out that way I wasn't even thinking along that lines I was just clarifying that no one was doubting what he caught

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

jareed, no offernse taken. i just have curiousity