360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at particular brand of line,and I note that what is called 80 is also called PE 6, the 100 is PE 8 and so on.Call me ignorant,but I was under the impression that the PE number pretty much corresponded to the LBs rating. I cant seem to find any advertised diameters for this line.We all know that generally LB test line breaks higher than the number on the spool, but if one had intended to go with 80 lb braid,would one go with PE6/ 80 lb or PE 8 /100lb?

·
1,657 Posts
PE is a diameter rating system.

A copy and paste below.........................

The Japanese way of doing things works much better for braids. They began with diameter, using a long-established numbering system that fits a small range of diameters into a number – for instance, a No. 4 Japanese line will be close to 0.35mm diameter, regardless of whether it’s braid, nylon, fluorocarbon or whatever. In gel-spun polyethylene braids, these Japanese numbers are commonly used from 0.6 (about 0.14mm) to 12 (about 0.7mm); and they’re usually prefixed with PE (for PolyEthylene), so now you’ll often see Japanese braids referred to as PE1, or PE4, or PE8 or whatever.

The extra good thing about this, is that one PE8 line is always going to be very close to the same diameter as the next PE8 line (at least when dealing with Japanese manufacturers, who take this sizing system quite seriously). So when you see that a reel has a capacity of 300m PE8, you can be confident that it doesn’t matter which PE8 line you get, that reel will take 300m of it. That was never true when trying to deal with pounds of breaking strain.

As to what a PE8 line will break at, well, you’re likely to see claims of anything from about 80lb to 120lb. Most times, that is of secondary concern to the angler, as all of these lines are immensely strong for their diameter compared to nylon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts