pe line

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jiggawhat, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

whats the deal with p.e. line ratings .Is that the rating or pound test. How do you know what line class or pe you need?

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

PE ratings all vary just like mono ratings. Some rate their line conservatively while other's don't. To answer your question in a simple way, multiply the PE rating by 10 to get the line rating.

Example: PE 6 = 60lb, PE 8 = 80lb.

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

4. CAP

CAP Junior member

From my understanding PE is the system used to categorize the diameter of silk twine. It has been transfered over to fishing line in japan to give the diameter of spectra lines.

In essence PE 6 may represent 60 lb strength with one brand of spectra and 80 lb with another brand. The strengths and diameters of spectra lines are highly variable when compared to monofilament. Most monofilament has a strength directly proportional to the thickness (most monofilaments that claim to have a much higher test strength do so because the line is thicker). This is not the case with the different brands of spectra because because both the number of strands in the line and the way in which the strands are braided will affect the strength and diameter. Higher quality lines will use more strands, a tighter weave and thus be more smooth and stronger for the diameter.

-CP

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

speaking of line thickness Vs. "rated" strenght..... very ture! Gunsmoke , i think, enlightened me on this. Now when I buy lightwieght line for freshwater fishing I look at the ratings and laugh!!! i go by line diameter now :)

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

The OTI DF line is braided with 8 fiber strands.

PE stands for PolyEthylene, fiber content.

The appx. breaking strengths are:

60 lb test - breaks 72#
    80 lb test - breaks 93#
    120 lb test - breaks 132#

The machine that performs the weaving is a beautiful piece of machinery!

I believe it limits out at 16 strands, but I could be wrong. I know of a 16-strand PE called Blackwater. It is expensive.

The higher the strand count, usually reflects stronger, softer, thinner line.

We determined that 8 strand was the best construction that gives the best combination of performance, suppleness, durability, and price.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Blackwater is insanely expensive. As you said, it is 16-strand.

When I re-spool my jigging reel I want to put some of the OTI line on, looks nice.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

oti line going on my jiggin setup for sure!

9. gman

gman Senior Member

I have tried them all, in all honesty the best I have tried is the OTI Depthfinder line. Its extremely soft but very strong under battle and its easy to mark because its dyed in feet. After a good session using it I spooled all my jigging setups with it

Personally I like using PE6 because you can spool more line, it breaks around 70 lbs, which is more than enough strength and you will get your jig down to the strike zone faster

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I had an opportunity to use the OTI depthfinder line in Venice this past weekend on Seadog's reel. I must say I was impressed.. WE had a kaikon w/ the counter and it was just as easy to drop down to a certain depth with the depthfinder line as is was on the kaikon.. I will be putting some on my 665 for sure..

11. gman

gman Senior Member

I spooled 2- accurate 665's plus about 4 stella spools with it. Better quality than YKG IMHO. I had alot of issues with the YKG

12. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

How much PE6 can I get on a stella 20000 spool [OTI depthfinder line]

13. gman

gman Senior Member

I would say somewhere near 400 yards. Which is perfect. When Im casting to big bluefins with my stella 10000 I only have around 280-300 on the spool but when Im jigging I have spools pre loaded that are maxed out

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

gman: Interesting to hear you say the OTI line is higher quality than the YKG-Jigman. I have not seen any OTI, but from the packaging and appearance, I have always suspected it might even be made by them. In any case, it is way more reasonable in price. I spooled up various spinners with PE 4, 5, 6, and 8. If memory serves, they (YKG) say the maximum breaking strengths are 57, 70, 80, and 105, with average breaking strengths somewhat less. It is definitely good line, but on the price point alone, if I had it to do over, I would almost certainly choose the OTI.

I have been drooling over the Varivas GT super max (I think that is the name) which is about 90 pound test but supposedly a whole lot thinner than you would expect. Only problem is that it is about $240.00 for 600 meters.

Russ

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Gman, the torsa I bought from you was spooled with fresh YKG-Jigman. You have me thinking about the YKG-Jigman. Some people have had issues with it, but all PE lines seem to have issues. I think a lot of it has to do with the angler himself. Improperly tied knots, guides with knicks, etc.

I just bought a 1200 yard spool of the OTI 80 and tied about a dozen Alberto knots with 50# Momoi diamond to it. All were very strong. I'll do the same with YKG-Jigman tonight. YKG-Jigman is a premium line so I would not expect any failures. I'll find out tonight.

Most people knock down PowerPro. For some reason, I have not had an issue with it. Maybe I have bought good batches but I have never had a problem. I still think it's more of a problem on the user end than the manufacturer. I've found Jerry Brown to very reliable also. I bought some of the blackwater a while back and have misplaced the line. If I find it, I'll test it also. It was very expensive.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

YGK is one of the premier RE line manufacturers in Japan. It is funny that several brand PE which YGK makes for other companies become famous while Ultra Jigman is the only succesful PE line among several PE lines under their own brands. :)
    My problem with YGK was I believed their claim of their line's breaking point.
    As long as you use the their PE6 as 60 lbs line and PE8 as 80 lbs line, you are OK. The most reliable Japanese PE line I've used is Sunline.

Japanese PE line is 8 stranded line while most American line is 4 stranded, so PE line is much rounder and softer.

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Gman, the torsa I bought from you was spooled with fresh YKG-Jigman. You have me thinking about the YKG-Jigman. Some people have had issues with it, but all PE lines seem to have issues. I think a lot of it has to do with the angler himself. Improperly tied knots, guides with knicks, etc.

I just bought a 1200 yard spool of the OTI 80 and tied about a dozen Alberto knots with 50# Momoi diamond to it. All were very strong. I'll do the same with YKG-Jigman tonight. YKG-Jigman is a premium line so I would not expect any failures. I'll find out tonight.

Most people knock down PowerPro. For some reason, I have not had an issue with it. Maybe I have bought good batches but I have never had a problem. I still think it's more of a problem on the user end than the manufacturer. I've found Jerry Brown to very reliable also. I bought some of the blackwater a while back and have misplaced the line. If I find it, I'll test it also. It was very expensive.

The torsa was spooled with a differrent thickness I believe its PE8, I was having the bulk of my issues with the PE6 and it was never used you should be fine. The batch I had an issue with was previous to spooling the torsa. Im pretty good with my knots and maintaining my gear so I doubt that the issue I was having was self inflicted but who knows. My breaks were no where near the knots.

Ill give you an example. I was pulling line off my reel to tie a knot, the drag wasn't high at all and the line parted in my hands. somewhere in that line was an imperfection

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Varivas lines?

I think one of the problems with testing breaking strength is that the way the line companies do it is way more complicated and involves God-awfully expensive equipment. The only way most of us have to do it is to put a load on it, either with weights or pulling on a scale--which is what I do now. But that seems like the best way to test it anyway--it simulates fishing--albeit without the sudden jerks.

Admittedly, most of my experience has been in my garage, but I have had excellent luck with JB lines in 50 solid and 80, 100, and 130 hollow and with the YKG lines. In all cases, I used 40-turn biminis with a regular 12-turn Albright, very carefully drawn up. With the 130 and 100, I also use 80 pound fluoro windons. I don't have the guts to pull more than about 60 percent of the rated breaking strength of the braid, and in a lot of cases, I use 80 pound mono on stronger line, so I adjust the pull accordingly.

But my thinking is that 60 percent of even, say 60 pound braid = 36 pounds, and that is more than I will usually have my drag set to.

I have had varying success on testing PP in 65 and 80 pound strengths, if I remember correctly. I stopped using it because of lack of confidence in it and no longer remember which I had trouble with--but I have had others say they had no problems. I used 50 for a long time on the jetties, casting for bull reds, and had no issues--but the rig I was using was the limitation--not the line.

Russ