PE line ?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by bighead, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bighead

bighead Senior Member

With all the talk about cool imported tackle I was curious about the PE lines for jigging. Is it a spectra line or something else? If it's not spectra do you loose the small diameter benifit of spectra? Bert

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

bighead
    ocean tackle international should have some of japanese spectre in the next few weeks. some of the line is a different color for each meter. cool stuff but it can be a little expensive as all spectre line tends to be....rick

4. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Cool Rick, I'll wait to hear from TJ before I make the purchase.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Unlike American braided lines, Japanese PE lines has the same diameter for same number of PE regardless who make. For example each company' PE 5 has the same diameter, but diffrent line ratings. Usually PE5 means 50 lbs, but YGK's Ultra Jigman PE's rating is 78 lbs though the line has PE5(50) lbs diameter.

It is another question that the advertized braking point is reliable.

6. bighead

bighead Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese lines were polyethlene. Is that the same as spectra?
    At any rate I look forward to the opening of the tackle shop venture and hope that it allows some hands on inspection instead of just pictures and specs.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese lines were polyethlene. Is that the same as spectra?
    At any rate I look forward to the opening of the tackle shop venture and hope that it allows some hands on inspection instead of just pictures and specs.
    Here is a good article about the braided line.

http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/PE_braided_lines.htm

8. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey bighead!

TJ has shared with me a lot if the info he's found regarding spectra and we'll have plenty to show everyone so you can see/feel the differences.

The main difference that's most important to me is the manufacturers' differing qualities, meaning the number of strands woven together to reach a specific line class.

The Dyneema that TJ showed me was similar to JB in texture.

We'll have more info soon as McGolfer said!

9. jedi243

jedi243 Member

Bert,
    Dyneema and spectra are trade names for high modulus polyethylene(HMPE). So the spectra is polyethylene but different than the poyethylene you would find in roto-molded products like a kayak etc. The difference lays in a linearization of the polymerization process which allows each strand to align in a common direction which increases the modulus(strength) over conventional polyethylene.

10. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation Jeremy. I want to try some of the marked line on a jigging outfit I'm planning. Bert