PE line and the number of carrier braids

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by linesider04, Mar 28, 2008.

1. linesider04

linesider04 Junior member

I'm curious about the benifits/advantages of the number of carrier braids in PE line? I know that Depth Finder PE and mant of the Japanese braids use an 8 strand weave thus resulting in a rounder line. Some other manufactures use 12 and 16 strand weaves. Is there considered and optimal number for body and strenght or the more the better?

2. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Great question and welcome to 360Tuna linesider04!

The more strands in a braid, the softer, more supple, and flexible the line is.

The individual strands also become much smaller as the thread count goes up in order for the resulting finished line to be at the correct diameter.

IMO, it's up for discussion and personal preference -and what your value quotient is- as to the optimum strand count in a braided line.

The 16 strand product feels like lush, silk thread, but with the additional strands (threads) comes increased costs. As far as I've seen so far, the 16 strand only comes in hollow. I think JB produces 16 strand but don't know if it's hollow or solid.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think the blackwater is a 16 strand weave. haven't seen it in person though. its quite expensive

4. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i think the blackwater is a 16 strand weave. haven't seen it in person though. its quite expensive

I was going to get it on an Avet SX, but I opted not to because it's hollow, the backwater is a 16 strand, JB comes in a 16 strand as well in a few tests as far as i know, but the standard JB is 12 as is Izorline

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I think JB is 8 strand, not 12 strand, I could be wrong.

jt2hunt likes this.
  6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

JB is 12 stranded and JB's 80 lbs is 16 stranded.

7. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil,

Do you find hollow line to be acceptable for jigging?

Russ

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

Do you find hollow line to be acceptable for jigging?

Russ
    I don't use hollow braided line much for jigging, but I used them when I target big cow on the Qualifier 105 out of San Diego and I don't see much difference for jigging.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

BTW blackwater fluro is the best stuff, very soft

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

do you like it more than varivas? i love the blackwater (stuff feels like mono), but figured i'd try that to see how it compares.

13. linesider04

linesider04 Junior member

Thanks for the info guys. I got a spool of large of Saltiga briad because I got a deal on it at 50% off. This stuffs fels like silk compared to other lines i"ve looked at. How would it compare with Izor, Blackwater, JB or OTI in terms of feel? Is there an added benefit for abasion resistance with more strands?

14. Pescador

Pescador Member

I have found that 4weave PE makes a grinding noise as it passes over the tip ring under load, and I have some concerns about the fish hearing this noise in still/calm sea conditions.
    I do not have this noise from WX8 a Japanese made 8weave PE which I find perfect for my jigging and very hard wearing.

Just a question, but has anyone ever counted the number of strands in a PE line or are we all just believing the marketing material?

15. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

I was going to get it on an Avet SX, but I opted not to because it's hollow, the backwater is a 16 strand, JB comes in a 16 strand as well in a few tests as far as i know, but the standard JB is 12 as is Izorline

I was trying to find the Izorline strand count to verify that it's 12 strand documented online somewhere but couldn't. Is anyone aware if there is a compilation of popular braided line and associated strand count?

From what I've read about braided line manufacturing one reason for the increase in price is the amount of strands. Some questions...

1. Does a higher strand count mean more strength as well as making it feel softer? More abrasion resistance?

2. Is there another reason VARIVAS 8 strand is as/more expensive as some 12/16 strand line on the market?

3. What is the main reason for people not wanting to jig with hollow core, and does this reason hold true for casting?

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

I was trying to find the Izorline strand count to verify that it's 12 strand documented online somewhere but couldn't. Is anyone aware if there is a compilation of popular braided line and associated strand count?

From what I've read about braided line manufacturing one reason for the increase in price is the amount of strands. Some questions...

1. Does a higher strand count mean more strength as well as making it feel softer? More abrasion resistance?

2. Is there another reason VARIVAS 8 strand is as/more expensive as some 12/16 strand line on the market?

3. What is the main reason for people not wanting to jig with hollow core, and does this reason hold true for casting?
    charkbaits site states that izor braid is 12 strand
    1. yes it is stronger and smoother.
    2. varivas is expensive just like all japanese pe lines. but its a very good line
    3. theres been debate with the hollow line catching too much current while jigging. i have no eperience with it but have discussed with a few people and thay seem to not have any problems with it. from many of rogers posts im starting to think there are more pros than cons with hollow.

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

a marked line will tend to be more expensive due to the more complex dying process. tougher to make sure the line is dyed every 10m or 25 ft or however you break it up than having it all the same color.

ive used that izor.....its nice, but for jigging i prefer marked lines. its very nice to be able to drop to the "strike zone" quickly and not have to guess.

18. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

ive used that izor.....its nice, but for jigging i prefer marked lines. its very nice to be able to drop to the "strike zone" quickly and not have to guess.

Agreed.

I'm currently looking at lines for casting. Have you casted with the Izor? The Izor seems appealing since it sounds supple, it's 12 strand opposed to 8, it's price point is a bit easier on the wallet, and it's made in the U.S. (I think).

Can anyone speak for the diameter differences between Boat Braid and Izor? I realize that PE number designations are an indicator of diameter, but are all PE#'s actual equivalent between different brands?

Is a 12 strand PE-6 have a larger diameter than a 8 strand PE-6?

19. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

The boat braid diameter definitely seems thinner. I have 65# Izor on a torium 20 and 80# boat braid on other reels... The 65# is thicker than the pe6 80#
    Keep in mind that Boat braid tend to break much closer to its rating than Izor.

20. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

The boat braid diameter definitely seems thinner. I have 65# Izor on a torium 20 and 80# boat braid on other reels... The 65# is thicker than the pe6 80#
    Keep in mind that Boat braid tend to break much closer to its rating than Izor.

I guess it only makes sense that a higher strand count would have a larger diameter. I'm trying to find a PE-6 line that will be able to pack as close to 300m on a Stella 10k spool as possible. We did accomplish this using a spooling machine and boat braid but the spool was slightly overfilled and I had to remove some so I'm guessing we got about 280m+/-.

Also been looking at the Daiwa Samurai High Vis line. Sounds basically like non metered boat braid.