Passport

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rtran, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

How long does it usually take to get your passport?

I did mine the second week of Feb and haven't got it yet. Should I go back to the post office and check or just wait it out?

Rich

2. Ricochet001

Ricochet001 Junior member

Rich,
    I got this off the trave.state.gov site:

"Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 10 weeks. "

It says 4 - 6 weeks but check this out, here's a link to check the status.
    Application Processing Times

Rick

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks Rick.

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

i applied a month ago and it came last week via priority mail. i would follow up.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Ok will do, I'll check the site first then head back up to the post office to check if I need to. Thanks Jared and Rick

6. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

speakin' of passports........ does anyone know for sure that if i don't get off the boat, i don't need one?

i'll be going across the pond to fish around the bay of campeche a coupla times this summer and'll probably be wandering around to honduras too,.... but if i stay on the boat am i okay with being in their waters?..... (as-long-as i don't set foot on their soil?)

this summer i'll be going with some friends on about a 100-footer totin' a 26' center console and a few jet skis just to do a little fishing........ from what i've heard, i don't need no stankin' passport

does that sound true?...

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

speakin' of passports........ does anyone know for sure that if i don't get off the boat, i don't need one?

i'll be going across the pond to fish around the bay of campeche a coupla times this summer and'll probably be wandering around to honduras too,.... but if i stay on the boat am i okay with being in their waters?..... (as-long-as i don't set foot on their soil?)

this summer i'll be going with some friends on about a 100-footer totin' a 26' center console and a few jet skis just to do a little fishing........ from what i've heard, i don't need no stankin' passport

does that sound true?...

As long as you dont get with in 12 miles of any country's shores you dont have to go thru that country's customs.

I would still have a passport in case you have an emergency and need medical or mechanical attention though

d-a

8. Bill Fisher

well crap............ i'll probably be in port somewhere along the line and from what i've heard, emergency/medical stuff was somewhat 'waived' as to a mariner's plight

yes, i'd prefer to have it just-in-case, but after reading this thread i have my doubts about receiving it before i leave (what-with current homeland security sh!t going on)

right now i'm busy'ern a one-legged-man in an ass-kicking contest trying to get my mom into assisted living and sell her condo.......... the wife wants me to get one and i'd like to get it too (sorta) but even tho i hate dealing with the post office, i plan on shootin' for one anyway

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

well crap............ i'll probably be in port somewhere along the line and from what i've heard, emergency/medical stuff was somewhat 'waived' as to a mariner's plight

yes, i'd prefer to have it just-in-case, but after reading this thread i have my doubts about receiving it before i leave (what-with current homeland security sh!t going on)

right now i'm busy'ern a one-legged-man in an ass-kicking contest trying to get my mom into assisted living and sell her condo.......... the wife wants me to get one and i'd like to get it too (sorta) but even tho i hate dealing with the post office, i plan on shootin' for one anyway

You can have it expidited and back in 2-3 weeks. Not to mention I believe that if your waiting on your passport when your travel plans arise they have a document that will act like a temporary passport.

d-a

10. Bill Fisher

hmmmm........ thanx!

11. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

mine took 4 weeks no expiditing. The man told me 2-4 weeks i applied march 5 and recieved it last week maybe weds.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

mine took 4 weeks no expiditing. The man told me 2-4 weeks i applied march 5 and recieved it last week maybe weds.

I got mine a year ago before a trip

d-a

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

mines wayyy overdue...going to check it out this weekend since the online site is not working

14. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

I am a passport acceptance clerk with the po in Greensboro,NC. Most apps have been taking around 3-4 weeks. May start to take longer the closer we get to June 1. That is when the law that says you must have a passport to travel out of and back into the US. You can get a passport card to travel to alot of the islands but if you fly you must have the book. I would call and check the statis if you have not got yours yet. Hope this helps out, if not I will try and help more if possible.

15. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

Thought I would let the rest of you know. If your passport expires within 6 months or less of when you travel you will not be allowed to leave the US or enter another country. So if you have plans of going somewhere this summer or fall check your passport and get it reneuw a few months early especilly if you need visas.

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks surfacegrinder

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Ok here's an update.

I called the online site to check the status and they said they haven't recieved my application and cannot find it? Remember I did it last week of Jan or 1st week of Feb. so it is past due.

So they told me to go back to the post office to check up and all they could tell me was call the number again because their supervisor was not there. Well the online number has no reps today so I am going back to the post office today in a little bit to talk to a supervisor.

What could of happened and what can I do in my situation?

18. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

That doesn't sound good. The post office that did the app should have sent it out priority with delivery confirmation. They should have a record of when it was recieved in Philadephia, PA where we send them. Ask the clerk that did your app to look it up and check when it got there. Also I would go ahead and get another birth certifacate and be ready to send again.

What office did you use? That would tell me where your app is being processed. All apps go to Philly and from there to different passport processing centers. I'm real sorry you have had bad luck with your app, hope they figure it out. I have not had a problem with any of the ones I've done(knock on wood) but it is the Post Office.

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I am going back Fri when I'm available so they can look it up. The offices they call are closed and I work Mon-Thur.

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Surfacegrinder,

Thanks for the input.
    My first was in 78 and am on my 4th several have been sent in for added pages also. From the old days it was a trp to down town Houston. But
    now just a trip to a regoinal Post office in Leauge city, Tx
    Never an issue for me,,But some times ...........

So plan ahead get one now
    It's good for 10 years....

My old ones are important to me with over 200 port of entry's in around 50 countries. Not enough of them fishing though.

K2