Parts Assembled for Popping Rod - St Croix

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Go Deep, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Go Deep

Go Deep Member

This will be my second rod build (first was a Gusa Dragon last year), first for casting(spinning) poppers and jigs for Tuna and Cobia in the GOM. I'm thinking 65lb braid on a top quality spinner. I purchased the following parts today from Mudhole as I'm in Orlando for 5 weeks in "training", I will say if you need top quality service, ask for Todd, as he was the most patient person that's ever dealt with me asking question after question!

St Croix 4M86HF-8' 6" SC4 blank, Cobalt Blue (nice!), 30/65 lb 7.5tip/.685butt
    (this blank only weighs 6.2 ounces!)

To keep with the "lite" theme I also went with the following hardware:

AmTak Titanium V-frame Gold Ring Guides in sizes: 40, 30, 20, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12 (these guides are so light they are unreal)

I used a Fuji Concept SiC top in Size 12 for the tip - doesn't match the other guides but AmTak doesn't make a tip in that size

Misc:

Perfection Ball Gimbal - Grey - tried to match the Pac Bay reel seat - close
    Pac Bay's new Channel Lock Spinning Seat in TiCh in size 20 (if this won't work for a large spinner - Stella/Saragosa/Accurate - please let me know so I can swap for a larger size)
    14" rear Black EVA Foam Grip
    10" front Black EVA Foam Grip

I'm looking for ideas on color choices for the guides with the "Gloss Cobalt Blue Pearl" rod finish. I do have to say it is sweeeeeeet!

Any and all comments welcome as I can still exchange parts before they are glued on this weekend! :)

Ed

2. red34

red34 Guest

show some pics of the components please

3. Go Deep

Go Deep Member

Here are a couple of pics, the pac bay aluminum spinning reel seat is sweet! The AMTAK Titanium guides are lighter than a feather.

Attached Files: