Paradise lodge -panama

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by uncle rico, Aug 6, 2017.

1. uncle rico

uncle rico Senior Member

made my first voyage to Panama two weeks ago for my 40th with my friend Dan. Arrived at the airport, picked up straight away by Alvin (driver) and up to the lodge after stopping for a few six packs for the journey. Arrived around 10pm. Warmly greeted by Kelvin and team who helped unload the gear and then cooked up a few steaks for a late dinner. Completely unexpected but completely awesome.

We fished three days offshore and 2 days inshore. Offshore trips started at the bank and then went further out looking for life. Found lots of dolphins,whales, and birds but no tuna, but it was late in the season. Inshore jigging and popping was phenomenal. Popped some nice roosters and big cubera, jigged everything from red snappers to pompanos to more large jacks than I care to admit. Inshore variety is great and we popped the first rooster 10 minutes from the dock. These fish truly love big poppers (125gr+). Heru skip jacks, heru cuberas, halco roosta poppers all worked. Never fished a salas jig but brought some 7x, suggested by Dan from cape may tackle, and caught eight species of fish on it.

Paradise is the most accommodating lodge I've visited, and Chad runs a great operation. Kelvin, Tito, Gonzalo (chef) were most helpful and there was nothing we ever needed. Thanks guys.

Special thanks to mike garone. I fed-exed my rods to Miami and the hold at location shipped the rods back and I didn't have for the trip. Mike lent me one of his personal hanta popping rods which I caught all my roosters and Cubera on. Thanks mike.

Attached Files:

2. CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM

CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM Senior Member

Killer! Nice snapper and roosters.
    Off shore did you guys catch anything?

3. uncle rico

uncle rico Senior Member

Nothing offshore. One day we went off almost 90 miles one way. At hannibal bank guys were catching Marlin slow trolling live bonitas but that's not our bag. We saw 2 that were hooked and jumping which is cool. Easy ride out to the bank. Hit Coiba, montousa, and beyond.

I love tuna but watching the fins of an angry rooster behind a popper or a large cubera coming up from below is great.

July is their rainy season and it rained most daysaround 3 or 4pm for a bit but actually feels good. Water temps were about 86.

lite-liner likes this.
  4. lite-liner

lite-liner distinguished membrane

love that Cubera!
    Thanks for the info, always thought rainy season would be a bargain...

5. cudaman

cudaman Senior Member

Nice report and awesome pictures. Too bad on the Tunas, but it's fishing not catching. They might be there next time. Good thing is that inshore looked like had a hot bite, must have been awesome.

6. uncle rico

uncle rico Senior Member

Some more pics.

Attached Files:

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Senior Member

Snappers on blackhole slow pitch rod made by rays custom works. I am pretty much a synit snob but love the blackhole slow pitch rod. It goes on every trip.