panama-small world on the hannibal bank

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fathom, Jan 11, 2009.

1. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

greetings from panama,

Fished the banco tues with Dave Irving and Bruno from Brazil. There where 10 boats fishing and all hooked black marlin. Our boat the lucky angler was Bruno. He managed to release a 300lb. black after a 18min. standup battle on avet t-rx 30. As we where slow trolling live bonito we pass near another one of the boats and there was Kil Song waving !

the fishing here is great and everyone has managed to get a cubera, rooster,mutton snapper,rock snapper and tuna! Sammi of Anglers Pro Shop managed to land the biggest tuna in the 170 lb. range and lost a bigger one after epic battle when rod failed. Yesterday he landed big sail on popper.
    I think the total for group was 3 sails on popper. Many photos to follow. Today we clean gear and pack for ride to David for plane to Panama City.

This is not a place you want to leave!

Tight lines to all from Paradise!

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Who wants to leave Paradise? It's unfortunate that we have to work. I'm glad to see everyone got to catch the fish they desired. A 300lb Black in 18 minutes using standuup tackle is a very respectable time. I've spent over two hours on a black before standing up and felt like checking into a hospital afterwords.

The black marlin fishing off of southern Costa Rica has been way above the normal numbers. John Brennen released a 500# one the day I left. He had just arrived to Golfido a few days earlier. It's sounds like the black marlin fishing off Banco was off the hook. Ten boats hooked up at the same time is very rare. Catching the pacific sails on spinning tackle is a blast. I hope all of your group got sore arms and many memories. Looking forward to some pictures and more reports.

3. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Steve please rush the photos.I am glad you had great time.It was 77 friday
    it is 54 hi today in Houston,this is our paradise...welcome back

4. fathom

enjoy

Attached Files:

5. fathom

A word about paradise lodge. Paradise Fishing Lodge The owner Chad Marquis whent out of his way to make our stay memorable. He listened to our every comment and has big plans to keep improving. The new Chef did an exellent job of preparing meals and kept the sashimi flowing....

Thanks to A.P.S. making it happen and special thanks to O.T.I. for providing exellent jigs and poppers....

Attached Files:

6. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Man that looks like some good fishing variety there. Thanks for the pics.

Are those cubera pretty good fighters?

7. fathom

Man that looks like some good fishing variety there. Thanks for the pics.

Are those cubera pretty good fighters?

Feeder,

Like all snappers they are hard fighters near the bottom and have a nasty set of dentures.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks,

In 1st pic what dressing did Glen have on the assist hook.

And did you fish OTI rod with Torque reel? Just asking?

Attached Files:

• penn.JPG
      penn.JPG
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  9. gman

gman Senior Member

Thanks,

that was sami and he has his custom feathered assist hooks he makes

10. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Sorry Glenn
    In the photo.
    I missed the beard, and the age, and the excess weight,
    and the bad hair, and well you know..............I got bad eyes.

What are your thoughts about the dressed up assist hook.

Kev

11. fathom

:D Thanks,

Kev,

I call Sami and Glen the twins :) You could not ask for better anglers to fish with! Both have the same infectious enthusiasm. Glen even managed to have mild mannered Edwin drinking red bull and hollering YEAAAA!!

I did fish the O.T.I. rod with torque 200. It made short work of the A.J. . It is my new favorite jigging setup. Capt. Chicho commented that that was as big as a.j.s get there and was impressed with the combo.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

Sorry Glenn
    In the photo.
    I missed the beard, and the age, and the excess weight,
    and the bad hair, and well you know..............I got bad eyes.

What are your thoughts about the dressed up assist hook.

Kev

He swears by it, I will tell you I got a lot of hits on a dressed up huge assist hook behind my popper when the tuna bite was on but I was missing too many hookups so i went to a treble hooks instead

13. gman

gman Senior Member

Glen even managed to have mild mannered Edwin drinking red bull and hollering YEAAAA!!

hahahahahahaha that is sooo funny, if you met edwin guys you would realize what an accomplishment that is. He is such a great guy but very very humble and quiet.

On wednesday Edwin and I were having great success with Roosters and Cubera and I said to him the only thing we need is TUNA! with that we get the call and in 20 minutes we pull up to Sami's boat where we see 3 men bent over the rail fighting fish hard.

Edwin gave me that ohh shit look and then we casted into boiling tuna and fought and fought and fought and fought. He looks at me an hour later and said how many more we have no more room in the boat I said "UNTIL YOUR ARMS FALL OFF" you dont see a bite like this very often.

He says I could go again if I had some of your red bull from the Lodge. I said I think I have some and when i pulled it out he was soo excited and was like yeahhhhhhh!

hahaha great company and thanks Steve for the compliment, your the best my friend

14. fathom

brunos marlin @ hannibal bank

Attached Files:

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Great pics!!

Did the YFT have any interest in jigs?

Scott

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Did you happen to catch the name of the boat in the background?

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Great pics!!

Did the YFT have any interest in jigs?

Scott

nope for some reason not much wanted jigs

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Glen.

Scott

19. fathom

Did you happen to catch the name of the boat in the background?

Mr. Bill,

I heard the name on the radio but can't recall it. Definitely
    a gringo boat.

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If you were on or near hannibal bank at the time, then I know the answer to my question.