Panama setups

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Wachtel, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Hi all!

After reading heaps on this forum and getting good advice I've now finalized (almost) my setups for Panama next year. I'll also use these back home for halibut, cod etc so they will be used fishing the Arctic Sea before and after that trip.

Popping
    OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60
    Twinpower 10000FC

Jigging
    Blue Rose B183H
    Alutecnos Gorilla 12

Both reels will be spooled with JB Hollow 60#. I might get one more setup to act as backup but can't decide on what. Maybe get a better spinning reel for the OTI and a lighter jigging rod for the 10000FC?

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

In my limited experience there I would say that the spinning set up would be a joy for near shore and random offshore if the fish are running small in a given school. But I think there would remain a significant probability of getting spooled when a mixed school suddenly turns large as I interpret the line capacity of the Twinpower 10000FC (about 250yards of PE4?). I would think that setup might have trouble with 150lb+ Tuna?

No one set up is perfect and if you want the joy of a lightweight set up and can handle the down side if you get into larger model YFT then you will be happy.

What outfit are you fishing with as they probably have you covered with heavier gear?

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

the above post is a good recommendation. save your dollars because if you have never been there before you will probably want a return trip and with the dollars you save on buying heavier gear you will have almost enough to return to panama. i know i can't wait to get back there....rick

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah you really wont need a ton. less is more IMO. For my Jan trip I'm gonna bring 2 jigging rods and 2 popping. thats all. i'll bring 2 or 3 on the boat. overloading the boat with gear ends up being annoying.

5. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

The lodge provides gear for trolling. Jigging and popping gear is up to you. The operator (Scandinavian) recommended 10000 class reels for popping. I'll give it some more thought, it's still a year away from now but I am a bit nuts about good fishing tackle :D

6. johndtuttle

7. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Maybe I should save up for that 18-20K Stella ... ;)

8. johndtuttle

9. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Just curious what part of Panama are you fishing at ? tackles requirement depends on where you are fishing and with who can put you on the fish to test the tackle that you are bringing. Panama Sport Fishing Lodge

10. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Just curious what part of Panama are you fishing at ? tackles requirement depends on where you are fishing and with who can put you on the fish to test the tackle that you are bringing.

very true. I have been down there with my stella 20000's and only caught bonito with them...in that case I think my gear was a bit more than was needed.

11. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

shhhhh..... I caught a nice rainbow runner on mine! He was severely overmatched!!! We will have our revenge!!!

12. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Hardon :D

I don't have exakt locations for the lodge. The owner of the lodge is Pascal Arteida.

If only I could shop in the US without shipping and tax, a Stella SW18K costs 1600 US$ locally :( From a few shops in The UK and Germany I can get it for just 1200US$ :rolleyes:

13. johndtuttle

very true. I have been down there with my stella 20000's and only caught bonito with them...in that case I think my gear was a bit more than was needed.

Sad times man, sorry your trip was a bust. There should always at least be deep jigging and near shore action that is red hot.

14. panamasportfishinglodge

Hardon :D

I don't have exakt locations for the lodge. The owner of the lodge is Pascal Arteida.

If only I could shop in the US without shipping and tax, a Stella SW18K costs 1600 US$ locally :( From a few shops in The UK and Germany I can get it for just 1200US$ :rolleyes:
    Hey Wachtel,
    you can buy a Stella 18K or 20K for $1,100 in Panama , I think you are going to fish the Pedasi Azueros area , your tackle should be plenty , The Tunas for some reason are not big in that area( football) they have good Snapper and Roostefish , it is mostly inshore fishing gauging from the size of there panga boat , this area is pretty productive during rainy season

15. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Thanks, then I will stick to my original plans.

If something happens to the TP I will buy a new reel in Panama for a better price than I can get over here.

Roosterfish is very much on my wanted list :)

16. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

How has the fishing been John?

17. panamasportfishinglodge

I have not fish since the other week with the 4 men crying report , extreme high tide last week 18+ feet, I try to avoid those tide , it happens twice a year , too much debris on the water , really busy finishing the additional 6 rooms / 12 beds , tripling the size of the dock , fuel pumps right at the dock ,bringing in 3 additional boats , just improving at lot of things here at the lodge , I will be fishing this weekend and I have a few die hard groups in October , I will definitely put out a report either way , when are you coming back down ?

18. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

October 6th through the 16th....... What do you guys usually wear for clothing in the rain? The reports have been awesome btw...great detail! WOW!!! Thats alot of work........ Are you guys gonna do the OTI jigging and popping tourney again next year?

19. panamasportfishinglodge

that's great ! we will be fishing that same week , i am sure you will here us on the VHF , a very light but very waterproof rain gear is what you need , top and bottom , Yes we will have the Tournament in May 2010 , I will be posting all the details soon , we will have more capacity and larger boats as well

20. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

Look forward to it! We will probably be lurking around Ladrones I would guess... How far of a run is it for you guys to Ladrones and Montousa?