Panama Jigging and Popping trip in April

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I went to Panama Sportfishing lodge as a scouting trip in April and I like what I saw there.
    Coiba region in Panama truely provides world class fishing opportunities.

Marlin and tuna are the major attraction offshore. However you can go inshore for jigging bottom fish or popping roosterfish/cubera snapper if you look for variety.
    They say tuna are there year round, but big number of tuna usually start to show up in Jan, and Feb/Mar/April are the prime time for tuna based on my observation.

There is no guarantee in fishing, but I expect we catch lots of tuna on jigs and poppers on our trip in April.

The itenenary of the trip is as follows:

-Arriving at Panama airport by noon on April 18.
    -Leaving for the lodge by a bus. It takes about 5 hours to the lodge.
    -dinner and orientation after arriving at the lodge.
    -fishing everyday for 5 days from April 19-23. wakeup call at 6:00 am and fishing hours are about 10 hours from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
    -leaving the lodge after breakfast on April 24. After sightseeing Panama City go to Panama airport for the departure in the evening.

eight fishermen joining the trip are:

1. kilsong in NJ
    2-4 three fishermen from Korea
    5. monocom in NJ
    6. peter814 in NY
    7. bretbaker in Texas
    8. masonboro in NC

This is going to be very exciting trip.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

you guys should have a great time, good luck!

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Looks like an awesome trip coming together.. looking forward to the report..

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

bret
    let's get our asses down there and soon!!!!! ...rick

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wow, that will be a great trip. I would join you, but I will be there mid March.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

bret
    let's get our asses down there and soon!!!!! ...rick
    RIck, the action is twice better than in PV and cost is same or less. :eek:
    Five day fishing in Panama cost less than I fish 5 days in Venice, LA for me.
    The best month is Feb, Mar and April. If you have 3 -4 guys, call them.
    This is their first year operation and there are plenty of spots available even in prime month. I expect next year is a different story as many fishermen will find out soon the super deal.

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Looking forward to the trip Kil! Thanks for putting it together. Are there any other Anglers interested in joining the trip? If so please PM Kil or myself. Thanks!

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Peter's friend really want to join the trip.
    So I told Peter to get three more fishermen so that we could use three boats with 12 fishermen.
    I talked with the owner of the lodge about the situation.
    He said he would charter a mini van for transportation for us and is going to get another boat soon before your trip. ( they have 25 ft Persuit, but he want to provide a better boat).
    I ask Peter to arrange with three other fishermen to save my time as I am getting busy. :) Call or send PM/email to Peter if anyone is interested in life time adventure with afforable price.

9. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Wow, that will be a great trip. I would join you, but I will be there mid March.

What dates will you be down there Bellyups? I am going down with SteveDallas28 and Hardon 22' from the 12-19th of March. We'll be at Punta Burica (HookedOnPanama). I don't know if we'll make it all the way out to Montuosa or not this time, its about a 70 mile trip 1-way from where we are.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

What dates will you be down there Bellyups? I am going down with SteveDallas28 and Hardon 22' from the 12-19th of March. We'll be at Punta Burica (HookedOnPanama). I don't know if we'll make it all the way out to Montuosa or not this time, its about a 70 mile trip 1-way from where we are.

I will be travelling March 14 and 21. Fishing 16, 17, 18, 19 off Hannibal Bank and Coiba Island.

11. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

I will be travelling March 14 and 21. Fishing 16, 17, 18, 19 off Hannibal Bank and Coiba Island.

with any luck we'll see you out there, though I am not sure the boat will actually float with all the gear I am bringing...

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Sounds great. I will actually be staying on Coiba Island for 4 days.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Can you give me a link to where you are staying on Coiba Island. If you don't want to post it, PM me. Thanks.

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Can you give me a link to where you are staying on Coiba Island. If you don't want to post it, PM me. Thanks.

Coiba Adventure - Welcome

We will be fishing from a 31 foot Bertram.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Are you going with Dennis Braid ?
    I talked with him a few weeks ago and he talked about the lodge.
    I think the lodge is very close to Costa Rica. You should catch lots of sailfish along with marlin as I was told it becomes 1000 fathom deep only 5 minutes from the lodge. while I was at Panama Sportfishing Lodge, Tony Pena and his wife were there after fishing at the HookedOnPamana for a week.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

They rent a Government facility on Coiba Island.
    It is about 25 - 35 run to Hannival Bank or Montuosa from Coiba Island.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You are fishing in Prime Time.
    Good luck and save some fish for us. :)

18. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Are you going with Dennis Braid ?
    I talked with him a few weeks ago and he talked about the lodge.
    I think the lodge is very close to Costa Rica. You should catch lots of sailfish along with marlin as I was told it becomes 1000 fathom deep only 5 minutes from the lodge. while I was at Panama Sportfishing Lodge, Tony Pena and his wife were there after fishing at the HookedOnPamana for a week.

Unfortunately, no we arent going with Dennis Braid. I hope he is there when we are, that would sure be cool to meet him.

I have heard the same thing about the close proximity to fishing. I hear it is possible to paddle kayaks out (20 minute paddle- acccouring to Tony Pena) and get into some very good fishing. I can't imagine a big tuna or billfish from a kayak! I think I'll be bringing a couple of rod leashes.

The story behind the trip is that SteverDallas28 and HardOn 22' father works with the lodge (HookedOnPanama) and we are staying at the lodge but fishing in his private boat for the week. He is a guide, as I understand, for the lodge, but since its not a lodge boat we are on, we are on our own in terms of fishing gear. Hence all of our questions about tackle as we will be suppling almost all of our own gear.

Can't wait to get my hands on my order from Angers-ProShop! I have never spent 45 bucks on a lure before. I am not sure I'll be able to put it in the water...

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Bellyups,

After looking the web site of the place your are staying, I read where it's the old Club Pacifico. That was the place to fish in the mid 70's to mid 80's. A friend of mine fished there about five times. I couldn't afford it at the time.

He used to tell me the wildest fishing stories about Club Pacifico. The guy that built it was an electrician from here in the states. It took him a few years of hard swear and tears to get it going. He got a ground lease before the uprise in Panama.

The prison was his landing strip. He made a deal with the warden to use certain prisoner's for running his fishing camp in exchange for fresh fish. I think it was open for at least ten years before the uprising scared off all the U.S. customers and he had to shut it down. It was very simple and the fishing was off the charts.

That other guy that runs the Coral Star mothership operates near where you are staying. That mothership was an old navy hospital before he converted it.
    It's amazing how all these operations come and go over the years. The rainy season kills them even though the fishing is still very good for most species.

All this fishing talk about the lower Costa Rica and Northern Panama is getting me fired up. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm down there in that area very soon.

Kraken33,
    You will cry the first time you loose one of those expensive lures. Just get over it and tie on another one. I just received one those $100 poppers. It's almost to pretty to use. I even took pictures of it before I lose it. The most important factor in a good popper is the wire harness inside it. Stick to decent brands that are made of wood. The exterior of your popper will not look pretty after a few fish. You will also split a few in half when you hit a rock at 50mph with it.

The OTI komodo is not expensive and works very well down there. The newer tuna hunters are another in expensive lure that will fit work without breaking the bank. Those expensive hand painted poppers also produce fish. It's just a little depressing to lose one. Like they say, the lures catch the fisherman more than they catch fish.:D

Attached Files:

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Unfortunately, no we arent going with Dennis Braid. I hope he is there when we are, that would sure be cool to meet him.

I have heard the same thing about the close proximity to fishing. I hear it is possible to paddle kayaks out (20 minute paddle- acccouring to Tony Pena) and get into some very good fishing. I can't imagine a big tuna or billfish from a kayak! I think I'll be bringing a couple of rod leashes.

The story behind the trip is that SteverDallas28 and HardOn 22' father works with the lodge (HookedOnPanama) and we are staying at the lodge but fishing in his private boat for the week. He is a guide, as I understand, for the lodge, but since its not a lodge boat we are on, we are on our own in terms of fishing gear. Hence all of our questions about tackle as we will be suppling almost all of our own gear.

Can't wait to get my hands on my order from Angers-ProShop! I have never spent 45 bucks on a lure before. I am not sure I'll be able to put it in the water...

It will be a dream trip if I land a marlin on a kayak, but it is possible in Panama :)
    You'll find most products you want from Anglers Proshop.