Panama Colors?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Pope, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Which color of poppers do you guys recommend for Boca Chica? I also remember someone mentioning 320g jitterbels being the hot jig. Which colors were best?

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Mahi-mahi color wombat work best for me.
    Clownfish, Blue hawk Komodos work just as well.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Thanks TJ. What about jigs? 200g, 320g, etc.? jitterbels?

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if i was going for tuna id use jumbo or jager.....jiterrbels are great for ajs

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

short glow in the dark jigs...

6. gman

gman Senior Member

poppers .... bright bold colors worked best. Jigs .. small and glow

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

had my best luck on white topwater blue stripe. Plain old hammered diamond jigs did serious damage on the bottom fish

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

had my best luck on white topwater blue stripe. Plain old hammered diamond jigs did serious damage on the bottom fish

yep, caught all my jigged fish on them

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Thanks. Who is the supplier you use which has upgraded swivels and hooks on the hammered diamonds?

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i was using mainly the flat hammered diamond jigs that Kil sells. I don't know what swivel comes on them, but I haven't changed it. For hooks I used either 8/0 siwash or 11/0 jigging master hook.

11. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

I went with Brett,Peter and Kil in April.As far as jig's are concerned,make sure you bring Hammered Diamond jig's.I took and used 48 lb.s of every different kind of jig you could imagine. I ended up you using the Hammered Diamond jig to catch fish.The other jig's were used for fishing,the hammered jig's were used for catching.The hammered diamond jig was not only used for bottom species but Brett caught YFT and Kil hooked Black Marlin on Hammered Diamond Jig.Trust me, take a few of them with you!
    Another lure that worked really well for us was the "Robert's Ranger". Blue/white,Red/white and Blue/chrome.Many differerent specie's,very affordable,and easy to fish.Also you can throw them a long distance and cover a lot of water.
    Next time I go to Panama in january I will also have some Tady's.I am not familiar with these lures but Peter was catching fish when everyone else was not.The color he was using was Blue/chrome or silver.
    Bret and I casted popper's all morning one day at Coibia and the only hit I got was off a Purple and white popper I made myself.
    This is what worked good for me on our trip.
    Hope this help's.
    Shibuki worked good also.
    David

12. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

In addition to "what they said" which is right on the money - I'd bring some casting surface irons. Like Tady's - they got hits some mornings when the Rangers and Poppers did not...

13. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Hey Dan, check your p.m.'s.

14. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have two surface irons, so I will look into grabbing some more. So far, from what I already had and ordered, I have the following:

3 surface irons
    6 100g in glow and blue/silver
    5 200g in glow and blue/silver
    6 poppers
    8 8oz hammered diamonds

I figured we would be bump trolling skippies and I wouldn't need hordes of iron. I am trying to travel light as is. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Edit: Found a few others I thought were lost. Getting this house ready to rent and misplacing gear.