360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am off to Panama in the morning, but a 6.1 earthquake lightly shook Panama about 100 miles southwest of Coiba yesterday 5.8825,-82.7454(M6.3 - South of Panama - 2009 March 12 23:23:36 UTC) - Google Maps and a 4.9 and 5.1 hit southwest Costa Rica not far from Golfito 8.4928,-83.2775(M5.1 - Costa Rica - 2009 March 13 17:33:10 UTC) - Google Maps and 8.6916,-83.1696(M4.9 - Costa Rica - 2009 March 13 16:54:32 UTC) - Google Maps

Are earthquakes common in the region and is there any effect on the fishing?

·
821 Posts
Good luck fishing Scott. I can't wait for a report. When we were in Costa Rica last year we were near an active volcano and the ground shook a lot! Good luck!

·
2,835 Posts
Yes. The day after I left Costa Rica this Jan, a large earthquake killed some people in the Northern part of CR. Most occur offshore. When I asked my Capt if they ever had hurricanes, he told me no. But, his main concern is offshore earthquakes. I really wouldn't worry about it. Most earthquakes down there are harmless. If you happen to be present when the big one hits, just run like hell and follow the monkey's up the trees or point the bow at it and pray.:eek:

My Capt has been in the Golfido area about three years and has yet to see a mountain of water coming his way. He was however always looking offshore for the "perfect storm" wave.

Good luck on your trip. I'll be down there very soon to catch all the big ones you missed.:D

What are your fishing days?
When do you return?

·
1,699 Posts
I emailed David at Panamasportfishing lodge..after the latest quake. he said he was fishing when the quake hit. no issues.. said he caught a blkmarlin and some sails.
The guys in golfito said some stuff was knocked off of the store shelves but nothing more.
Good luck and be sure and take plenty of pictures...

47 Posts
The quake hit the area pretty good. In Golfito there was no damage not sure about Panama. It might shut down the inshore fishing for a little bit. Quakes are very common in the whole area. Good news is our new lodge made it through with flying colors. Most structures in CR area built for it. They have standards that are better than the U.S., that is if someone follows them. I know Panama doesn't have as good a building standards, if there was any damage it would be more because of that.

Hey Mr Bill, how is it going? I am new here. Did realize you where here. We are still hammering the fish. Sails are in the 20 fish a day thing. Now finally our inshore fishing has turned on. Kevin had a day last week with 20 roosters. All on livebait though. I will be back hopefully in the end of June for some rooster plugging/flyfishing and I will also head out to get some black marlin. Hoping to beat my personal best of 400lbs.

Pura vida!

·
2,835 Posts
Is that you Greg?

I enjoyed my trip very much. Thanks for all the bookings. The lodge was way better than expected. Fishing was fun also. I think the Capt's were afraid to touch my spinning gear as they thought it was very expensive. I told them not to worry and just go for it. I might even stay longer or even go down the middle of next week because a friend invited me to fish with him. He's a little crazy but I haven't fished with him for over 7 months.

·
2,835 Posts
Glad to see Kevin has found the groove for the Rooster's. He's an offshore guy. I found the best rooster fisherman in CR and brought him with me one day on your boat. He was fantastic. He taught Kevin and myself a bunch and brought along his portable GPS to find all the hot spots. Kevin was very impressed and got his phone number. I'm sure they have probably talked or fished together since my visit. He's your go to guy if any of your customers want a super inshore fishing trip.

The guy even had personal GPS numbers for catching monfish. He said if a rooster or cubera is around, they can't resist a live monfish.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Well, I am off to Panama in the morning, but a 6.1 earthquake lightly shook Panama about 100 miles southwest of Coiba yesterday 5.8825,-82.7454(M6.3 - South of Panama - 2009 March 12 23:23:36 UTC) - Google Maps and a 4.9 and 5.1 hit southwest Costa Rica not far from Golfito 8.4928,-83.2775(M5.1 - Costa Rica - 2009 March 13 17:33:10 UTC) - Google Maps and 8.6916,-83.1696(M4.9 - Costa Rica - 2009 March 13 16:54:32 UTC) - Google Maps

Are earthquakes common in the region and is there any effect on the fishing?

TRANQUILO!!! forget about the ground shakin! your about to slay them!:cool:

47 Posts
Yeap it is me! Glad you had a great time. Kevin loves his offshore stuff but we are getting him hooked on the inshore stuff now. Our new mate Juan has been really helping with that. He is really starting to get into it. He is already starting to give the locals a good run for there money.

We found some great new numbers while I was there but unfortunily someone stole our chartplotter this week with the numbers in. I think we can get it back, a small town everybody knows everyone. Pretty rare occ. but it happens. The unit is the cheap part it is all the numbers that are worth a fortune. We have some offshore lumps on the chart that there is massive grouper on.

You said you were heading down, where to? Good luck!

·
2,835 Posts
I'm going to Panama this time. I'm fishing six straight days with I believe one overnighter on the hannibal bank. That should be interesting. I've never met the three other guys I will be fishing with, but they are all experienced and it should be a fun trip. I hope we don't sink the boat with all the tackle we are bringing. The goal is marlin and hopefully a few cow sized tuna on spinning gear with poppers. Roosters, cubera's, and grouper will also be on the game plan. It is supposed to be prime time. I'm thinking we will also catch our fair share of Pacific sails while on the hannibal bank.

What are your thoughts of the fishing in late March? Has it been productive for you? Sorry for your electronic loss. I didn't think there was many thiefs in CR in that Oso region. Isn't the jail in that area in Golfido? Hope you find the guy and chain him to a tree and sick the monkeys on him.

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all!

47 Posts
Stealing happens. I hate it! But, in the time we have been in CR the boat has been hit twice. The first time we got eveything back, this time we will see. Putting in perspective though. I got hit 3 times in NJ losing over 10K. People think Central America is bad for theft, but it really isn't. I have dropped things in town only to have people come and give the stuff at the hotel later in the day. Some great people there. But, there is always one idiot who ruins it for everyone else no matter where you go in the world.

March in Panama is pretty good time. The inshore if they rain holds off should be World class. The biggest problem there is the green water shutting it down. March it isn't really ever a problem, more May to Nov.. The blacks should be pretty good, not to many blues or sails though. We have better fishing for them up our way. You guys should do great! Good luck.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
HI Greg, nice to see you here.:)
Crazy Alberto told me there are very good spots for huge roosterfish and cubera snapper near the border of Costa Rica and I am willing to hit the areas for them. It is about 70 mile run from Panama Sporfishing Lodge we are staying.

47 Posts
I have not had the chance to fish them yet but on both sides of the border Cr/Panama there are a series of big rocks and small island like formations. They don't get a lot of pressure because of the distance from us and from Amuellles, Panama. My understanding is the fishing can be great there. Some quality fishing. When I am down the end of June start of July maye I can check it out. It is about 65 - 70 miles from us. I will keep you post Kilsong.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Greg, please keep me posted.
I am adventurous and love to explore new areas. I am arranging a trip on a 100' boat out of Cape May, NJ with 25 guys to fish Norfolk Canyon, Virginia for snowy grouper, wreckfish and tilefish. It is about 120 mile run and nobody made such a trip before.

·
2,835 Posts
Greg,

Do you guys ever catch any cow size YF tuna out of Golfito?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts