Packery trip 6/22/08

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by STx Fisherman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

We went out Sunday morning and headed out towards South Baker area.
    We stopped on the way for some snapper and caught a few. Nate, (etan) jigged up a nice 15 lb. snapper that certainly made his day. We also jigged up a few blue runners.

We then headed to MU 111A and jigged up numerous undersized AJ's, a Jack Crevalle, and a few half fish. (Half of a bonita and half of a barracuda).
    Buckshot (Tom) dropped a live blue runner to the bottom in hopes of bringing in a huge AJ but ended up with a four foot sand shark.

We then headed over to South Baker and jigged up a few more snapper...Nate jigged up a fish that I have never seen before...I believe that it was ID'ed as a Sandy Tile fish. I jigged up a personal best Kingfish....it weighed 46 lbs. (with the 7oz jig still in his jaw) and was 53.5 inches long. I also jigged up another four or five smaller kingfish and did not get cut off! I might mount that jig and hang it on the wall.

We trolled at South Baker and only caught a bonita. We also trolled a nice forming weedline on the way home with no luck.

We had lots of fun and put a few fish in the box. It was a rough ride out but a very calm ride home...the seas flattened out nicely.

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice fish in the pictures. You must take care of your fish with lots of ice. They still look very fresh.

What jig did you use to catch that big old kingster. That's a nice one. The biggest one I've caught this year on a jig was 28 pounds.

3. STx Fisherman

It was a pink and glow colored Williamson Benthos (7oz.)
    We had plenty of ice in the fish box.

Bellyup said that I should have joined the STAR tournament....and if I had I could have won a 21' Contender. I would have joined the STAR tournament this year but I am not happy with CCA's stance on offshore fishing issues.

Here's a pic of the kingfish with the bent jig still in his mouth.....

Attached Files:

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I would have joined the STAR tournament this year but I am not happy with CCA's stance on offshore fishing issues.

Good for you. I feel the same way. They haven't gotten a nickle from me in over 20 years.

How do you like your new Cape Horn?

5. STx Fisherman

The Cape Horn is a great fishing boat. It is simple and easy to clean when you get back in. The boat is a very good ride in calm conditions...we headed back in from South Baker at 42 mph....(36.5 knots). In sloppy seas you will get wet and bounced around but if you find the right speed you can minimize the pain.

One thing about the boat that I do not like is that the fish box has two latches that are about 3 feet apart that you have to open in order to open the door. If you have a fish to put in the box you have to either put your fish down or get someone to help open the box....a pretty major pain in the ass while fishing. Other than that...I love the boat!

6. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

nice king!, biggest one ive seen on jig...

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Way to go Richard!!

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i am with you on the cca issues.

9. STx Fisherman

I forgot to mention that Nate jigged his 15 lb. red snapper on a hammered jig. We thought that would add to the recent discussions on hammered jigs.