Pac Bay Eliminator Roller Guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Dec 26, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Does anyone have any experience with these guides? I was considering the Jr model for a stand-up rod for use with a 30W and 100 or 130# spectra. I figured the Jr models would save some weight over the HD's, especially since there wouldn't ever be any large knots going through the guides.

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I've got a set of the regular Eliminator guides on a Calstar. The guides themselves seem to spin more freely than the Aftco with less start up pressure needed. Additionally they are pretty lightweight for their size with good knot clearance if you're not planning to use a wind-on. I have not had a chance to test these out on the water yet so I'm still not sure how well they'll hold up long term. They should be ok hopefully.

The Aftco HD guides aren't that heavy if you're putting them on that size rod and they're proven guides. They're both roughly in the same price range though depending on the finish you get.

3. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Better check the specs.. if you plan n usingline above 80#

4. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Pac Bay Jr Elimiators are 50 - 80# Guides so use a rod blank and drag setting in that range.

5. red34

red34 Guest

Pac Bay Jr Elimiators are 50 - 80# Guides so use a rod blank and drag setting in that range.

The blanks I was looking at were the Rainshadow RCTB66XXH and the Calstar 6460 XH. I'd probably cut the Rainshadow a little so they're both 6' and both rated around 50-100#.

The spectra is obviously rated at the top end of the guides' optimal rating, but the line's diameter would be of a much lower rated mono. Thats why I figured I could get away with the smaller guides. Am I not correct in this???

I just think a 30W sized reel would feel really weird on a rod that would be actually built for 100-130# mono.

6. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Yes the line diameter is fine.. you just want to stay in the sweet spot being 60# for the guides so you dont over power them torque wise with too much drag.

As long as you stay in the Mid 20's on drag you should be fine with the Pac Bay Eliminator Jr rollers and either of those blanks. :D

7. red34

red34 Guest

Yes the line diameter is fine.. you just want to stay in the sweet spot being 60# for the guides so you dont over power them torque wise with too much drag.

As long as you stay in the Mid 20's on drag you should be fine with the Pac Bay Eliminator Jr rollers and either of those blanks. :D

perfect...i'd say mid 20#'s of drag would be near the top of that setup's capabilities. at least for any period of time. i think the jr's will be a nice fit since the whole idea of this set-up is to have the line capacity of a 50, but be lighter. i plan to fill the reel with spectra and use a topshot of normal sized mono so there shouldn't be a clearance problem.

also, the color scheme of both the rod and reel are blue and silver and those are some of the only rollers i can find like that. hopefully it'll turn out to be a nice build.