P-Line Spectrex IV

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SpecialK, Feb 16, 2008.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Anyone have any experience with this line.
    P-Line Spectrex IV
    Good or bad comments?

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I believe I posted something about this line last year. I have it on my light (freshwater and inshore rigs) and love it. It is very round and casts well. If I found some which was heavier than 20lb, I would buy it. I have 10lb on my crappie rigs and 20lb on my inshore rigs. Good stuff!

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I am trying to find out what it compares to.
    Is it wax coated?

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

It is not coated with wax. I believe it is more limp than Power Pro and it packs on the spool very evenly with binding on itself. I wish I had some heavier line so I could compare it to Izorline or Jerry Brown, which is what I have on my two heaviest outfits.

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

If it's colored it's coated.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Ya I actually found a guy in little little fishing shop in Austin who has a coupld of 1500 yard spools. He somehow ordered the wrong line as he owns a Bass fishing shop. He said he would sell them to me for $65 per spool. It looks like a good deal.

7. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

that's a great deal
    a lot cheaper than powerpro

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Ya I actually found a guy in little little fishing shop in Austin who has a coupld of 1500 yard spools. He somehow ordered the wrong line as he owns a Bass fishing shop. He said he would sell them to me for $65 per spool. It looks like a good deal.

What lb test is the line?

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

ONe is 65# and one is 80# I think I am going to buy both of them.
    Just wanted to make sure somebody has used some of it before.

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

the color comes off and clumps on your reel. it did it very badly to a bass reel I have. I wont use it again.

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Another friend of mine jsut told me that he had the same thing happen with his inshore reel. He told me to get Power Pro.:(
    I guess I will just get some spiderwire for it... Was just looking for a deal.

12. SkeeterRonnie

powerpro is the devil! I rate it up there with scopolamine.

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

powerpro is the devil! I rate it up there with scopolamine.
    HAHAHAHAHA

I had some loaded on my Calcutta. I kept casting a Top Dog and having to go get it. The line had a weak spot every 2-3 feet and would just fray apart... I was so pissed you have no idea!!!:mad:
    One of those days I just went in early cause I could do it...:(

14. SkeeterRonnie

thats a normal occcurence with power pro.. you dont know how loyal I was to it for years.. then it went to shiet. I lost SOOOO many bass in tournments with it breaking halfway down the line...... money fish! No problems what so eva with spiderwire.

15. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA

I had some loaded on my Calcutta. I kept casting a Top Dog and having to go get it. The line had a weak spot every 2-3 feet and would just fray apart... I was so pissed you have no idea!!!:mad:
    One of those days I just went in early cause I could do it...:(

are you sure you didn't have a chipped guide that was cutting the line? I've had that same thing happen, and only realize the guide was chipped after I bothered to check

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've had the same problem with PP.

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

are you sure you didn't have a chipped guide that was cutting the line? I've had that same thing happen, and only realize the guide was chipped after I bothered to check
    Nope...stainless steel guides. Its a waterloo rod, my favorite. I still use it most of the time.

18. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have not had a problem with it. I have it loaded on my inshore reels for this weekend. I will be hunting reds and trout. I will see how it performs in the salt.