Owner ST-76-what size for Shibuki and what size Owner hook keeper?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by bluedude, Sep 12, 2009.

1. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

I have some 3/0 and 4/0 ST-76 hooks that I've never used before and would like to know which size would be best suited for Shibukis. Maybe 3/0 on belly and 4/0 trailer or something else? Also, as big as they are, will the Owner hook keeper size 1.5L, rated for up to 3/0, fit them? I can't seem to find any of the larger Owner 2L hook keepers anywhere.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Use 3/0 for both belly and tail, I've tried 4/0 on tails and the swim action of shibuki's seem to be affected by the larger treble. Stick to the smaller ones. Your hook keeper 1.5L will fit those 3/0 perfectly.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Though I carry 4/0 St76 at my shop, I don't recommend ST76 for Shibuki as it seems it affects the action of the lure.

4. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

If anything I'd go with larger belly hook and smaller tail hook. Doing the opposite is more common but go against balance of most plugs. Also many fish hit from underneath.

5. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

Though I carry 4/0 St76 at my shop, I don't recommend ST76 for Shibuki as it seems it affects the action of the lure.

If not ST76, should I just stick with ST66 on Shibukis? I do have some 4/0 ST66 hooks but I only used Shibuki once last year and don't remember what hooks worked best with it.

6. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

If not ST76, should I just stick with ST66 on Shibukis? I do have some 4/0 ST66 hooks but I only used Shibuki once last year and don't remember what hooks worked best with it.

THe ST66 is still a really really good hook! There is no reason not to use the ST66, especially on really fine tuned plugs like Shibukis

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR