Over 250lb Cow landed

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by Minnow, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

i just received a call from SpecialK.
    His group caught a tuna over 250lb.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I lost a beast yellowfin today in PV on a popper but managed a nice Blue Marlin

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

awesome glenn

and congrats to specialk's group.

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

I lost a beast yellowfin today in PV on a popper but managed a nice Blue Marlin

marlin are trash fish. tells us what happened with the yellowfin on the popper.....rick

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

marlin are trash fish. tells us what happened with the yellowfin on the popper.....rick

Rick, I know your joking, right?
    As I do often...:(
    I did not fish this week and only invented a new knot. It is just like the
    Page Raken only not as smooth......150 Dendoh to 100 Floro,
    I'll call it TRASH KNOT. LOL.
    Lets here more from SPL K and Glenn's trips,,,

Kev.

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Gman,

i hope you land a cow on popper.

Kev,

Marlin fisherman called tuna is trash fish and Tuna fisherman say MARLIN IS A TRASH FISH:D :D

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Glen where were you fishing today?
    We were at corbateña all day and it went well.
    The short report for the day is.
    First pick up two nice dorado.
    We got to the rocks and caught 3 tuna to 30# on poppers in short order.
    After about and hour of casting and jigging with nothing to show, we busted out the cabbies.
    We had a double hook up. First tuna a hit the deck after about 30 min. Was 85-90#.
    After another hour and watching my dad bust his ass with this fish we got color. It hit the deck about 15 min later. Taped out and 267 I believe. The captain sword up and down that it was closer to 300.
    Eitherway for all of us it was epic.

I'm typing this from my phone. I'll post a full report after I get home.
    -k

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I will start this thread by saying even for the most intense of fisherman today was extremely hard wit HOT conditions it was like 96-97 degrees out and I found myself having to drink like crazy because I felt weak you cant escape teh sun here

I love fishing PV ... but I hate fishing anywhere during a massive tournament. There was a huge tournament today and all the boats were out in force which kept the tuna down low

Met Captain early and made our way to Corbintina Rocks home of "grande eltuna". They wanted to start trolling for bait but i insited on dropping down my jig and within seconds I had the first followed by many of our baits ... you guessed it. Pink Andamans jig

Loaded up on bait to slow troll while I casted up front on the deck, great panga with plenty of room. So off we go slow trolling at 2 knots i jump up front and decide my first outfit will be the Ocean Revolution 8' rod with the Ocean Revolution Popper. No fish surfacing but bait and birds everywhere for miles ...

Incredibly long cast, pull, pull, pull whatthe****isthat ......

SPLASH!!!!!!!! Not one but two HUGE 200+ class tuna are competing for the popper

PULL, PULL, PULL ... PLEASE JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY PLEASE Take it !!!!!!

SLAMMMM, Airborne 3 feet out of the water and I am tight to a big massive tuna, calm down Glenn think. Set the hook, not once but 3 times rod is still under my arm and line is now screaming, I mean SCREAMING out of my stella. Loda asks me if my drag is loose becuase my spool is melting away and I answer its way over 25 pounds.

I make my way off the casting platform and down the side where I settle in for battle. Making some headway when the fish goes absolutely crazy diving straight down vertical WTF just when I thought I was good

Straight down screaming and then I just feel THUMP a little head shake and then just dead weight ... then it just comes loose. Like the fish ran straight down into the bottom which was only 250 feet below. Very Frigging weird and just like that my joy is over. I check the hooks, fine, I check the popper good. No explanation

OK next .... very dead all day until we find a floating box with good sized 25+ pound Mahi. Picked them off one by one with a skagit and live bait.

So now Im casting my popper and then we hear a huge splash of water, we look and there is a Marlin. Before I could re align another pass Loda skillfully pitches a bait to it and hands me the rod except he hands me a 30 with 40 line on it. set the hook and this thing puts on a show of a life time for me. Completely air born for a good 4 minutes then goes deep and I am fighting a big marlin with 15 pounds of drag and getting absolutely no where

I put the drag up to 20 and now Im making some progress but whenever she wants to go there is no stopping a fish of this size with this gear. I finally have the fish boatside and 5 feet under us its tailwrapped so we want to get her released fast when she decides to make a last run.

CRACK!!!! EXPLODE!!! PAIN IN MY FACE!!! WTF just happenned the fish must have popped loose. Nope the rod broke and now I have a pissed off Blue and Im fighting under my arm with 2/3's of a rod FU**

We get some underwater video of her and some pictures and then she is gone. While she was boatside and we were trying to figure it all out she came un buttoned but we leadered her so she is a caught fish

Rest of ay was spent casting my ass off in 97 degree hot sun dreaming of the cow that got away. I will be chasing big roosterfishes on Wednesday

thank god they made it

[​IMG]

Corbentina Rocks
    [​IMG]

Birds anyone ... unfortunately they were chasing black skipjacks

[​IMG]

Weapon of choice today Ocean revolution 8' rod with stella 18000 and Ocean revolution popper

[​IMG]

settling in for the fight

[​IMG]

She was big and beautiful and I dont normally speak about my women that way Ha ah

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture023-6.jpg

Goodbye

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture025-3.jpg

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Glen now that I think about it, that was you I asked about the new Stella at the ramp in punta mita wasn't it?
    The captain and mate were cleaning our fish when you were coming by.

10. NEMO

NEMO Member

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Glen now that I think about it, that was you I asked about the new Stella at the ramp in punta mita wasn't it?
    The captain and mate were cleaning our fish when you were coming by.

ha ha ha ha thats so friggn funny yes that was me I had all the spinning gear and 5 stellas ha ha nice fish BTW and congrats

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Funny... I have seen pictures of you with fish before and as soon as you left I was think you looked familiar. We tried to book lora for both days but you had him yesterday and wanted to have the same captain both days...
    Next time you go by yourself me know if you want to share a boat.