Our Scat Cat floater trip 11-6-20 ...

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by awesum, Nov 13, 2020.

1. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

It was pretty terrifying handing off my setup, justin whooped that fish pretty quick.

I cant wait to get back out again haha....by the way, 4 days isn't enough time to recover between 56 hr trips

2. Jon Lewis

Jon Lewis Member

Looking at a few trips in December with Capt Fred and crew. Have some questions for anyone in group while I fine tune some of my rigs. Have a 8500 penn slammer III 65 lb. braid on a Penn carnage II heavy rod 7'6". 6500 Penn Slammer on Carnage II 6'6" jigging rod. Have been looking for a rod for INT30visw 80 lb. braid rods for this have been hard to find this year. Found a stand up Xtr heavy ugly stick with rollers 5'6, or a 6' offshore angler MED HVY, no rollers straight butt. Any recommendations greatly appreciated? Thanks.

3. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Super seeker 1x3 rail rod is a fine choice

D-C

Jon Lewis likes this.
  4. Jon Lewis

Jon Lewis Member

Thanks I’ll start looking to see what’s available.

5. John Preston

John Preston Member

6. John Preston

John Preston Member

I like the shimano tallus 5’6xxh. It has a roller at the base and a roller at the tip. Lightweight, but strong. Will pair well any 30 reel. Avet, talica, or penn.

7. John Preston

John Preston Member

8. John Preston

John Preston Member

See you guys in the galley. Was food provided for the whole trip?

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

we all bring something. pot luck-style.
    always works out great.

fillet2release and John Preston like this.
  10. Jon Lewis

Jon Lewis Member

upload_2020-11-18_11-27-49.jpeg

Thumbs up or down usually use straight green but since im getting new line for a 30W was thinking of doing this in 100. Thoughts?

11. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Green is hard to untangle in the dark... not the deck hands favorite...

D-C

lite-liner likes this.
  12. jiggingnut

jiggingnut Junior member

I’ve always been a fan of PP Depth Hunter. 4 colors at 25’ each is easier to count than those in meters.

lite-liner likes this.
  13. AndrewMarek

AndrewMarek Active Member

Was looking for the same sort of thing Tackle Direct has some Star Aerial stand ups for $150. 30/80s and 50/100s with aluminum reel seats and aftco top roller/stripper guides. Decent enough reviews. I picked up one for my Squall 30vsw which is basically the size of your international albeit in a graphite frame. Should be in on Friday. Can send you some pics if you like.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  14. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

Man, lot's of familiar faces, y'all even had both Fred's on the boat. I am gonna have to dust my chit off and get back out there.

Great reports.
    Dale

15. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

This was one of the best and most memorable trips I have been on. Thank you all for having me. I learned how nice it was just to be in the presence of friends! Being away from the craziness of 2020, out there in the middle of the Gulf, was one of the best "vacations" I have ever been on. The fishing wasn't easy, and it wasn't hard. You were rewarded with what you put into it. After my first Yellowfin, I was spent! It was very pleasurable to fight and the sleep after was heavenly! I even caught a few blackfin, and a small yellowfin, when I didn't feel like casting. I am still amazed as I think back to how well the Scat Cat powered through the waves, so effortlessly! The new engines are calm, quiet powerhouses! This vessel sure has improved tremendously by the gracious amounts of funds the new owners have utilized! The Captains and Crew are some of the best I have been around in my limited time offshore. I am very pleased with the trip overall! I can't wait until the next one! Even with the increased cost, it is well worth every penny spent! I'll have more specialized casting equipment next trip! I want to cast 2 miles- like Lawrence and Brian! See you all on the next one! I'll be hitting the gym and treadmill soon, round is not a shape that suits tuna fishing very well!! LOL!!!!

phuongph, TexasDaddy, awesum and 3 others like this.
  16. Tiffany Spencer

Tiffany Spencer New Member

Here's a little window into the fisher-woman's experience. When you guys show off pictures of the latest fishing trip, you get to talk about the lures, tackle, a particular fish, boat life, etc.

When I showed pictures of the trip to my friends, I heard this. "Ooo he's cute. Did you talk to Lawrence? Why didn't you talk to Lawrence? You were on the boat for three days! You should have talked to Lawrence."

This trip was a vacation for me too. Work and school has been the bane of my existence over the past few months. I still consider myself blessed. I've held down a full-time job all year and got to share the rail with a great group of fishermen. Can't wait to do it again next year!

17. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

The Scat Cat is not that kind of hook-up joint, Tiff..:rolleyes:
    Cant wait to do it again, y'all!!!

awesum and oldtrackster like this.
  18. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

I'm interested in sharing rail with you, when are you fishing again?
    Captain Teddy

;)

SkeeterRonnie likes this.
  19. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

I'm glad at least someone takes notice! Lots of thought and prep required to get all prettied up for the trip! The waves set me up to get all the beauty rest I needed. Haha
    Def ready to be back out on the water again, hopefully I can make next years trip.

awesum and rwc3500 like this.
  20. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Hey Dale, if you get Louis to come along let me know. Would be good to get on a boat again with you two and watch the masters in action. :cool:

lite-liner likes this.