OTT OTI

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by saqa, Nov 24, 2009.

1. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Who wants to see OTT?, I can tell you now this wont see the rock ledges Unless someone greased my palm very very well :D

6 hours went into the handle, there wont be another like it!

This is the my personal use stick and is based on the 40-60lb OTI popper blank

Handle

17 separate parts went onto the handle section! At retail pricing those 17 items come to AU$170, and this is not including the blank and guides

Guides
    Fuji Lowriders with chrome frames and SiC rings. I undertook extensive test casting to set this up to cast 200lb mono leader wound through the guides and onto the spool. Knots that will work are the PR, midknot, FG or 15-20 turn nail knot

Test Performance
    Using Lures from 100-150g, every cast was over 80m, this was using 80lb braid that is marked every 20m. I did not record any max distances as this will come in a later test using the full range of lures this one is rated for

This stick was also tested for extreme loading. The drag setting was taken to 18kg and line steadily pulled out at this setting. Then keeping the same pressure on the load was surged to beyond 20kg. This test was performed with the rod held at 45 degrees as well as VERTICAL. This stick held these pressures without turning into a pretzel

Hope you enjoy the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/GTP/LL/Saqa/LL011.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/GTP/LL/Saqa/LL012.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/GTP/LL/Saqa/LL013.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/GTP/LL/Saqa/LL014.jpg
    http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/dakaurods/GTP/LL/Saqa/LL015.jpg

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

NICE ROD, GOOD WORK

i like those buttcaps.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Wow, that's a beauty! Great job. That butt cap is cool. Can you give more info on the components used

4. macka17

macka17 Member

NICE ROD, GOOD WORK

i like those buttcaps.

YEP.

Put a proper reel on top of it.
    and you'll have a reel good setup,

Yes.
    Nice stick.

Macka17

5. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

NICE ROD, GOOD WORK

i like those buttcaps.

Thanks Paul. I hope the cap lasts as well. I havent put one of these ones through long term test yet

Wow, that's a beauty! Great job. That butt cap is cool. Can you give more info on the components used

Thanks, Pacific Bay channel lock slim seat, Pacific Bay Alu cap, Fuji Alu dress parts, Fuji CLCSG lowriders

YEP.

Put a proper reel on top of it.
    and you'll have a reel good setup,

Yes.
    Nice stick.

Macka17

Indeed, a Z4500H will be on this very soon

6. satkunas

satkunas Senior Member

Beautifull. I like when the rod matches the reel colors.

7. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Beautifull. I like when the rod matches the reel colors.

Me too. A customer once brought in an older model Emeraldas once thinking it would be a challenge, he was surprised

8. twentythreefive

twentythreefive Senior Member

Excellent job on the rod! I like to know how those lower riders work out, i always assumed that a knot would have problems going through at the first guide. I always wanted to test these guides on my surf rods.

9. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Excellent job on the rod! I like to know how those lower riders work out, i always assumed that a knot would have problems going through at the first guide. I always wanted to test these guides on my surf rods.

Thanks

Re the lowriders, I had to do a long test casting session to get the placement to the point where a long 200lb leader that had been wrapped onto the spool a few times would cast over 80m perfectly. I used a 15 turn nail knot to attach this to 80lb braid. I used scales to break the braid at the knot at 23kg

10. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Very Nice as usual!! I like the woven carbon fiber... I've thought of doing similar but haven't yet...

Jason

11. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Nicely done as usual:)

12. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Thanks Jason, I only had the amount of EVA visible in the pic. I was short a few inches and thought of inlaying a piece cut of a black matrix handle CF tube

Thanks Andy

13. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i saw a pimp in new york that had a walking stick just like that....lol...just kidding beautiful looking rod that will throw a popper a long ass way!!!....rick

14. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

don't dat purdy.........

15. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

that' s the prettiest rod I've seen for a long time.

I like the carbon fiber. I have several St Croix with that carbon fiber
    near the grip and just absolutely loved the way it looked with a black
    rod and a few red threads

If you were to sell that rod , what is your price ?

16. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

Great work! Yeah, those butt caps are great and will last just fine. They are also nice because they are a bit heavy and work well as a counterweight.

Kevin

17. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Sounds like a pimp with the right type of taste there Rick :)

Thank

18. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

that' s the prettiest rod I've seen for a long time.

I like the carbon fiber. I have several St Croix with that carbon fiber
    near the grip and just absolutely loved the way it looked with a black
    rod and a few red threads

If you were to sell that rod , what is your price ?

I got asked that yesterday during the test session and today while taking the pics outside and I made up a figure to see if I could get a reaction. I did and it was very funny. Since its a personal use stick, I wouldnt sell it unless I needed rum money badly but it is something that i would consider swapping with someone elses love, a well used Z4500H or 10K SW would be nice swap

19. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Great work! Yeah, those butt caps are great and will last just fine. They are also nice because they are a bit heavy and work well as a counterweight.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

20. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I did and it was very funny. Since its a personal use stick, I wouldnt sell it unless I needed rum money badly but it is something that i would consider swapping with someone elses love, a well used Z4500H or 10K SW would be nice swap

that's a fair price (trade)