OTI...where to buy?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by spearnreel, Jul 10, 2009.

1. spearnreel

spearnreel Member

Hey fellas,
    New to the forum and new to the jigging. Jeremy BTW. I know my local shop is gonna be a bit upset at me...as yesterday I had him order me in a Trevala TFS58XXH to pair up with my Penn 8500ss. I have been turned onto the OTI brand rods. I have noticed a new version (G3) has recently been released. I was wondering if any online distributors would have the older version OTI-3101-56S at a discounted rate? I was looking to spend around $200 on a rod so maybe this is a possibility. If not I may be leaning towards the G3 OTI-3103-52S. If the older version is out of the question, where is the most economic place to purchase the G3? Thanks! Jeremy

Then again...I just read that the reel seat will not be compatible with my Penn?

2. simpleman

simpleman Junior member

I just got my custom OTI in today from Paul at J.P.R you my want to call or p.m him before you buy one online. I have a G3 too cant go wrong with and OTI

Attached Files:

• jpr.jpg
      jpr.jpg
      File size:
      171.9 KB
      Views:
    • jpr1.jpg
      jpr1.jpg
      File size:
      180.6 KB
      Views:

3. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Simpleman, I am new to Jigging/popping scene, but I can't help notice that the eyes on that rod are offset, what is the reason?

-BFT

4. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Thats an acid wrap for a conventional reel. The guides start out on top of the rod and rotate to the bottom a la a spinning rod.

5. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Hmmm in 360tackle Malta does not exist:( . from where else can I buy OTI popping rod that ships to Malta ( Malta is found in Europe)

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Hmmm in 360tackle Malta does not exist:( . from where else can I buy OTI popping rod that ships to Malta ( Malta is found in Europe)

:D I don't think ALL Americans are ignorant. :D

Yes, we will make numerous jokes here.

Contact Minnow on this board, he may be able to ship to you.

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Wow, learn something new on here every day!!

8. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Okay, if anyone has any acid wrap pics, especially with a fish-on.. I gotta see it!! I knew I was naive to the scene, but I would have never guessed!

9. Argo

Argo Senior Member

look up billystix too..... he wraps this way. I have 2 acid wrapped rods or sprialstix...... That OTI rod looks mean....

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The big advantage of the acid wrap is the lack of torque when fighting a fish. Your hands do not need the very tight grip to keep the rod from twisting.

11. spearnreel

spearnreel Member

Well, seems like my OP got a tad bit sidetracked but thats OK. Thanks to those whom have helped me out and sent me the PMs. Kinda curious as to will my Penn 8500 fit onto the reel seat...as the OTI specs state Penn and Cabo reels do not sit on this style reel seat. Any input? I would like to start out with my Penn and I thought the Cabo would have made a nice upgrade. Thanks!

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I suspect neither reel will hold up for long.

13. spearnreel

spearnreel Member

I suspect neither reel will hold up for long.

Thanks!

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Thanks!

Just saw an 8500 fail on a darn good fish last trip. Notice most people using spinners use Shimano or Accurate with Shimano the leader in numbers.

16. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

acid/spiral rod = less blank torque/twisting, less angler fatigue by trying to keep the rod upright by gripping the fore grip tightly and resting the reel against your forearm, allowing the line to go to the bottom of the rod where it wants to be, the line only hits the top or bottom of the guide ring. reel gets pushed back up at the angler under load so no need to balance the reel while fighting fish. there are not many reasons why i build a "conventional" rod w/o spiraling it today. too many advantages for it.

my question is unless this is a wire line rod, what's with the carboloy guides?

17. spearnreel

spearnreel Member

Well, out of the 19 posts so far, 4 dealt directly with my OP. I came on here because I knew this forum was loyal to the OTI gear and thought I could get the most clear cut responses. I do thank those that kept me post on track and helped me out. I'll reiterate my questions one last time if anyone would like to take one last stab at it. Being on a budget, I was wondering if any online distributors would have the older version OTI-3101-56S at a discounted rate? If not, where is the most economic place to purchase the G3? So far I have been told that Puglias Sport in La has them for around $239. And last, it is noted that the reel seat used on OTI will not fit Penn, Cabo, or Fin-nor. Being that I plan on starting out with a Penn 8500 I was curious if anyone had any input on this note? I know I don't have the ends to provide myself with a top tier outfit but I am hoping I am able to work with what I have for now until the time comes I am able to upgrade. I am wanting to make the best decision at this point and I hope with your help that decision can be made. Maybe I do need to move to another reel? Perhaps there is an equivalent quality affordable rod I should consider? Thanks guys! Jeremy