OTI vs. Shimano....Etc.....rods?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by yellowtail67, May 25, 2008.

1. yellowtail67

yellowtail67 Member

Hey all......

Looking for your experience, good and bad, regarding OTI and Shimano jigging rods.

I recently got a Shimano Trevala TVC-58XH and was testing drag pressures, at 16#'s it wants to twist laterally, at 20#'s it absolutely has lateral load and twists. (not stable whatsoever) This rod is rated at 80-200# braid! Is this over rated? I typically fish roughly 20-24# for the bottom dwellers.

What has your experience been with both OTI and Shimano jigging rods with lateral twisting? Do the OTI rods have this problem? Any suggestions?
    Unfortunately, I am unable to pull on any at a shop here, so I do not want to dole out the fun tickets for a rod that's going to twist.

What sort of spinning rigs are you using in the 50# class?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

really no compare OTI to Shemano
    the oti will handle more drag better
    the 80-200 rating is always funny to see :rolleyes:
    but as you have seen yourself..it may be overrated,,
    either oti should work for you, the 600g may be a better choice if you are using heavy drags more often
    OR
    you can do what the owners did.for customs ACID OTI ;)
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f77/oti-blanks-custom-wrap-jpr-rods-1896/

3. gmack

gmack Senior Member

In my experience you it will be hard to fish the XH Travela with 20# of drag. Mine was only good for about 15 if I remember correctly. My scale is not the best so it may be off by a couple of pounds. I'm stringing up my Accurate/OTI 600 today so I'll let you know what it looks like with 25/26 pounds of drag. It sure is a sweet rod. Can't wait to put it to the test.

Gary

4. yellowtail67

yellowtail67 Member

Thanks for the info!
    How are the short 5' 3" or 5' 8", vs. 6' and 7' 6" actions?
    Much rather have a FAST tip with back-bone than a parabolic noodle.

Very interested to see how your Accurate/OTI performs gmack......

Great stuff.
    Matt

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info!
    How are the short 5' 3" or 5' 8", vs. 6' and 7' 6" actions?
    Much rather have a FAST tip with back-bone than a parabolic noodle.

Very interested to see how your Accurate/OTI performs gmack......

Great stuff.
    Matt
    the rods we have cut down to "short" jigging rods seem to work very well
    most are acid wrapped
    but can be built either way

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

OTI 600g is 5'6" fast taper action with plenty of backbone

7. gman

gman Senior Member

there is no comparasin on back bone and fighting ability the OTI rods are by far a better stick to use. Night and day, you will be lucky getting 15 #'s of drag out of the Trevalas without twist, nice rods just not for big fish. Not even in the same league

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Well, I have pulled on the OTI-600 and own one, and it handled the advertised 30 pounds of drag with no problems that I could make out.

One thing I have always wondered but never cared enough to find out, is what the warranty on Shimano rods is. If it is advertised as an 80-200 pound rod, then if you split the difference between those two numbers, you come up with something like a 140 pound class rod. So if you take 1/4 of that, it comes out to max drag of 35 pounds. Quod et Demonstradum, (as one of my professors used to say before they kicked me out of school), you ought to be able to don a Kevlar suit and a welders helmet, strap a 50W on that sucker, crank the drag up to 35 pounds, and bend it over like cheap hooker on Saturday night until the drag starts slipping. And if the rod pops in half, I'm sure Shimano should be willing to send you a new one. :)

Or maybe not. :mad:

Russ

9. gman

gman Senior Member

you ought to be able to don a Kevlar suit and a welders helmet, strap a 50W on that sucker, crank the drag up to 35 pounds, and bend it over like cheap hooker on Saturday night until the drag starts slipping.

Man you kill me, that was a good one. Shimamo has a great warranty ... you break it bring it back and get a replacement. Those rods aren't suitable for big fish IMHO as I've used them. its a work out, all they need is more backbone

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, gman. You set me straight. I didn't realize they had that kind of warranty. I have a couple of Stellas (SW) that do not have a U.S. warranty, but I can't gripe about that because I bought them knowing that was the case.

Russ

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, gman. You set me straight. I didn't realize they had that kind of warranty. I have a couple of Stellas (SW) that do not have a U.S. warranty, but I can't gripe about that because I bought them knowing that was the case.

I'll tell you where I got that idea about the Kevlar suit, though. A number of years ago, I bought a Winston 12 weight flyrod with a blank made partially of boron. I wish I could remember the humongous weight that I saw in a video where a Winston employee was lifting it with the 9 foot rod. He was wearing a leather apron and welders helmet just in case it broke. But it didn't.

Russ

12. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i think that the anology of a cheap hooker bent over on a saturday was very humorous. i like your sense of humor uncle russ.....rick

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, Rick. I appreciate the good words. My sense of humor has gotten me into trouble a few times, but I find that a little fun along with everthing we need to be serious about, goes a long way. And you can usually get away with it--as long as you are careful to laugh at yourself as well as at everything else.

Russ

14. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Unfortunately like everthing else there are no "cheap hookers" or cheap quality rods.

15. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

bend it over like a cheap hooker on Saturday night until the drag starts slipping

If you completely remove the topic of fishing from any part of that statement, the visual is interesting.

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

You boys have never heard tell of a "cheap hooker." But then I'll bet you never bought gas for 15.9 cents a gallon either. ;)

Russ

17. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I'll bet you never bought gas for 15.9 cents a gallon either. ;)

Russ

I'm not sure what would be more painful: buying gas at $4/gallon and not having experienced $.15c/gallon.....or buying gas at $4/gallon and being able to recall $.15c/gallon gas:confused:

I read somewhere yesterday that diesel is $11.50/gallon in parts of the UK. That would have an effect!

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

There was some bad news and some really bad news about that 15-cent-a-gallon gas. First, I filled the tank with money I made jackhammering solid rock for a buck an hour, and worse than that, I was pumping it into an extremely uncool 1948 Chevy that not even a cheap hooker would would want to ride away with me in. :D

Russ

20. RI Popper

RI Popper Senior Member

Man you kill me, that was a good one. Shimamo has a great warranty ... you break it bring it back and get a replacement. Those rods aren't suitable for big fish IMHO as I've used them. its a work out, all they need is more backbone
    Hi Glen,
    I just picked one up for a great price the same one TVC58XH and I'm really happy with how it feels I'm gonna be running just a TLD20 loaded with 75pound braid and i think I'll handle most anything. up to the 200 pound class until I get a different reel.

Armand

21. trlrman

trlrman Senior Member

There was some bad news and some really bad news about that 15-cent-a-gallon gas. First, I filled the tank with money I made jackhammering solid rock for a buck an hour, and worse than that, I was pumping it into an extremely uncool 1948 Chevy that not even a cheap hooker would would want to ride away with me in. :D

Russ
    uncle russ you and myself must be about the same age, i remember pumping eythel for 10-11 cents. of course a coke was a nickle & a good burger was a dime. two bit gal's was what we worked all week for !