OTI Tuna Snipper vs OTI Popping rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Panama, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Panama

Panama Junior member

I am looking for a Popping rod to use year round inshore fishing Panama for 50# cuberas, Bojalas (Almaco Jacks) and others, but at the same time to be able to handle my once or twice a year trip to Hannibal Bank for the YFT in the 100-200#.

I usualy use Yo-zuri GT Bull 3.5Oz, Williamson 4Oz, or Frenzy Poppers for the Job. This is why I was thinking of a 40-60# rod, but I dont know how will the handle the YFT

Please advise....

BTW.... rod will be match with a Quantum Boca 70 or a Shimano Saragosa 14000 with 80# braid

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

oti 7'6" 80lb rod is very versitile and user friendly. tuna sniper 40-60 would be a good choice also. either would work

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thats somewhat of a tall order.........the 50lb (40-60) tuna sniper is great inshore and i think would be fine for fish up to about 120lbs or so, but is ideal for fish between 50 and 90lbs. if you're really going to hook into a 200lb tuna you'll want the 80lb rod.

4. Panama

Panama Junior member

KidFlex,

Does the OTI 7´6¨ 80# have a soft tip for casting and working 3.5 to 5Oz poppers?

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I used both the 7'6" 80 for poppers and the 8'6" 40-60 for swim baits in panama. I like the stiffer tipped 7.6 for ripping the big face popper thru the water for more splash. With a soft tip it will give first and then splash so the effect isnt as strong. The stiffness of the tip dont matter for swimbaits...

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

KidFlex,

Does the OTI 7´6¨ 80# have a soft tip for casting and working 3.5 to 5Oz poppers?

I wouldn't say it has a soft tip, but it casts a 3.5 oz to 5 oz lure extremely effortless for me.

d-a