OTI Tuna Sniper Update

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by pametfisher, May 19, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I'm down to the final choices for a popping rod to match up with a Stella 20K for BFT in the CC area. It's got to be able to handle 150 lb. fish, maybe, if I'm lucky, 200 lbs. (Or who knows, maybe some small ones will show up.)

One of the final contenders is the OTI Tuna Sniper 60/80. Any thoughts or comments or a current update on the rod would be much appreciated.

PF

2. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

Tuna sniper does look interesting but I just dont know about using a rod that long on a smaller boat. It does have the lifting power I have to admit. Personally I would go with the heavy 7' custom rod that the guys at First Light have. BTW they also carry OTI now.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Tuna Sniper 60/80 would be a great fit for the 20k. Nothing wrong with using long rods on small or big boat. I got the 40/60 match with 8000 series, both are strong rods.

4. pametfisher

Tuna sniper does look interesting but I just dont know about using a rod that long on a smaller boat. It does have the lifting power I have to admit. Personally I would go with the heavy 7' custom rod that the guys at First Light have. BTW they also carry OTI now.

Thanks. I've got a couple of 7' rods, although not with the backbone of the Calstar. Where do you think the longer length gets you into trouble?

5. pametfisher

Tuna Sniper 60/80 would be a great fit for the 20k. Nothing wrong with using long rods on small or big boat. I got the 40/60 match with 8000 series, both are strong rods.

I second that, I am building a 60/80 very happy with those blanks:D

The OTI site says Medium flex/taper and that's what I'm looking for. I'm hoping that the rod that I choose bends enough to have better leverage for lifting fish that sound. How do you rate the blank in that regard?

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Thanks. I've got a couple of 7' rods, although not with the backbone of the Calstar. Where do you think the longer length gets you into trouble?

Pamet,

I prefer the longer rod personally. It makes it a lot easier to get around an outboard when the fish is under the boat.

7. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The OTI site says Medium flex/taper and that's what I'm looking for. I'm hoping that the rod that I choose bends enough to have better leverage for lifting fish that sound. How do you rate the blank in that regard?

It bends and yet has power. Just look at below pictures.

Attached Files:

9. pametfisher

It bends and yet has power. Just look at below pictures.

Thank you. I now remember that you posted these before. This is very helpful.
    PF

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is a picture of the heaviest lift I've ever done on a spinning rod. At this time, I won't tell what rod or how much was lifted. This rod was not designed for catching bait.:D

Attached Files:

11. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I know which rod that is but how bout the weight lifted?????