OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by pametfisher, Jun 6, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

For the last few weeks I wrestled with the choice of popping rod to match with one of two Stella 20Ks I have. (The other 20K is on a JM500). Although I could have bought a Stella 10K for the popping setup, I don't own a lot of equipment and I like to be able to mix and match. So both 20Ks have JB 60# hollow Spectra, which performs like PE8 line (which is to say it's stronger and thicker than its rating).

Finally it came down to the Tuna Sniper 40/60 versus the 60/80--a good argument can be made for either. I ended up with the 40/60 because it's designed for lures in the weight range I use and, I think that my personal "MAX DRAG" drag on a long popping rod is about 20 pounds.

I ordered it a week ago from JigNPop and it arrived a few days later from OTI. Although the rod is rated for a fighting drag of 17-18 pounds and a maximum drag of 20 pounds, I conservatively (rod tip never brought above the butt) test lifted 20 pounds. This is a strong rod and it could go further than 20.

The rod has a 34" grip and I've got 37" sleeves. But even with a low belt, the greatest practical distance I can reach out and have leverage over the rod is about 32".

Here are the efficiency specs I measured:

20 pounds
    Grip length 32"
    Bent length of rod (measured out horizontally): 77 inches
    Efficency: 42%
    Top Hand Load: 48 pounds

(Under the same 20 pound conditions: JM500 Top Hand Load: 37 pounds; St. Croix SWS 7' Top Hand Load: 54 pounds)

I took it to a football field and tested Casting distance with 4 ounces. Again, this was with the Stella 20K, the 110 pound actual breaking strength line, a 12' 160# Spectra pre-leader, and a 9 foot, 80 pound fluorocarbon leader. Without busting a gut, the casting distance was over 85 yards. With lighter line and a smaller class reel, 100 yards would be easy to achieve. (For reference, I get about 70 yards with 2 ounces on the 7' St. Croix.)

Lastly, I got out fishing yesterday and had the chance to cast at some distant breaking fish (no joy for me) with a 2 ounce lure. I guess-timate the distance at 70 yards and I easily cast over the school.

For me, this is a good rod for the money. Thanks to TJ and Kil for the good service.

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I do congratulate you for choosing this rod. I have been able to lift things and cast things but not fight with it yet. plan to have it bent while out of cape cod this month...

Thanks for the post

3. pametfisher

A couple days ago I got to try out a new OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60 that I've got rigged with an older model Stella 20K. I did a lot of casting over 12 hours and was finally lucky enough to connect with a 60" fish that weighed 135-140 pounds. The rod is 8'6" long and it casts the 2 - 4 ounce plugs I was using well. The drag was 18 pounds (set with a scale). The rod had plenty of backbone and some muscle still left. I was able to boat the fish in about 8 minutes. Overall, I'm very pleased with the rod and think that it would be fine for even larger fish.

4. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

PFisher,
    Just got my 60-80 Sniper today. Man what a beast of a rod. I am just wondering though why they couldn't put a nice Alps Triangular reel seat on this thing to match the nice gimbal???? My guess is cost but I think an aluminum reel seat needs to be on these not the weaker graphite. Other than that I like the rod and it cast in the salt pond behind the house farther than any other rod i now have for tuna easily. Hoping to get out maybe Wed. if the planets align properly.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

PFisher,
    Just got my 60-80 Sniper today. Man what a beast of a rod. I am just wondering though why they couldn't put a nice Alps Triangular reel seat on this thing to match the nice gimbal???? My guess is cost but I think an aluminum reel seat needs to be on these not the weaker graphite. Other than that I like the rod and it cast in the salt pond behind the house farther than any other rod i now have for tuna easily. Hoping to get out maybe Wed. if the planets align properly.

metal seat makes the rod heavier. the graphite seat will hold fine. ive used the rod with high drag and the seat isnt a problem........i was worrysome a while bac about graphite seats on jigging/popping rods but now i prefer them as ive never seen any issues as long as its a good seat (the OTIs use Fuji)

I had a jigging rod built last year with a metal seat (see below) and its great, but a graphite wouldve been fine as well.
    View attachment 7347

Attached Files:

6. papio

papio Senior Member

I too prefer graphite seats. I'm sure graphite seats have failed on anglers no question, but none has busted on me yet. Whenever I'm on the islands I target Large eyes and so far graphite has hold up.

Bret, nice powerful looking rod. What blank is that? N I C E !!

7. pametfisher

PFisher,

Glad you like it. You can see the abuse it can take here: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/65-bluefin-landed-oti-tuna-sniper-40-60-lbs-rod-5447/index2.html. Chris did a great job on the fish but took the rod "deep into overtime". I don't see a problem with the Graphite seat. And at 6' 3" I've got very large hands so the grip is fine for me too.

The hardest part of this strong rod is that it is long. It casts great, but unless you're Superman, 20 pounds drag is about all you can pull from below the boat when a fish has sounded. (That comes to 50 pounds force at 2 1/2 feet out from your body. Try it for a while. ;) )

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret, nice powerful looking rod. What blank is that? N I C E !!

Its the original OTI 600g, custom wrapped by JPR rods

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

A little birdie told me on the street that the difference between a dps fuji graphite reel seat and an aftco aluminum reel seat was less than an ounce of difference.

I do like the look of graphite better though

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Its the original OTI 600g, custom wrapped by JPR rods
    and also shortened:D

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

A little birdie told me on the street that the difference between a dps fuji graphite reel seat and an aftco aluminum reel seat was less than an ounce of difference.

I do like the look of graphite better though

you may be right, its prob not a ton. i also like how the graphits feels for extended periods of jigging

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have a few jigging rods with Aluminum reel seats and I don't like them at all. When all expensive Japanese jigging and popping rods have graphite reel seats except a few heavy models, there are reasons for it.
    I found rod builders love aluminum reel seats than fishermen for a good reason. :)

13. pametfisher

Given the strength of graphite, its ability to withstand physical abuse, and its corrosion resistance, I prefer it over aluminum--although aluminum can look nice.

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I have a few jigging rods with Aluminum reel seats and I don't like them at all. When all expensive Japanese jigging and popping rods have graphite reel seats except a few heavy models, there are reasons for it.
    I found rod builders love aluminum reel seats than fishermen for a good reason. :)
    Kil. i did a survey of alot of rodbuilders a while ago, and also posted a survey on the boards for fisherman to take.
    and what i have found, is that some builders have had more problems with metal seats than composite. for various reasons.
    and the fisherman tend to over tighten the composite seats.

quite possible the "expensive" production rods use graphite seats because they are alot cheaper to use than the good metal seats.
    might be about making more money. just my .002

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil. i did a survey of alot of rodbuilders a while ago, and also posted a survey on the boards for fisherman to take.
    and what i have found, is that some builders have had more problems with metal seats than composite. for various reasons.
    and the fisherman tend to over tighten the composite seats.

quite possible the "expensive" production rods use graphite seats because they are alot cheaper to use than the good metal seats.
    might be about making more money. just my .002
    If you do a survery of fishermen, the results would be different.:)
    Many rod builders are skeptical about graphite reel seats from the start.
    Some breaks graphite reel seet by tighting too hard, but I don't have any report anyone break reel seats fighting fish. I treat any tackles very roughtly. If I can not break them, they are OK. :)
    I caught literally over 1000 tuna upto 250 lbs for over 25 years without single problem of graphite reel seat.
    I don't think Japanese jigging/popping rod companies use graphite reel seats to save a few dollar as they care less about cost when they make high qualilty rods. At least I don't.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are three different Aluminum reel seats I use.
    The second and third reels seat from the top are similar to normal graphite reel seats. If I really have to use Aluminum reel seats they are my choice.

[​IMG]

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

OTI Tuna Sniper 40 - 60 lbs rod in action with yft in Alijo Rock on the American Angler out of San Diego.

[​IMG]

18. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

It must be the angle, but the tuna sniper in the picture below looks like a much faster action even though they are both 40-60. What should I be looking for? A popping rod with fast or medium action.

[​IMG]

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

could be drag amount, angle of the rod or angle of line.....or combo of all three :)

the angle of the line looks pretty similar - though the pic from the cape looks like its going under the boat a bit more.......the angle of the rod is much less in the LR pic though.

tough to say :)

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

the angle of the rod is higher in the second pic. both fish seem to be straight down.