OTI - Tuna Sniper 40/60 or 60/80 ??

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by SAND, Jul 16, 2009.

1. SAND

SAND Member

I need some advice from the experts here, I'd like to buy a popping rod and my choice is OTI-Tuna sniper.
    Which one is better the Tuna Sniper 40/60 or 60/80?
    Mainly I will use this rod for GT popping but I'd like to use it for Tuna Popping as well.
    The 60/80 feel very strong but little bit stiff, I'm not sure if it can cast well with 100-130 gram lure.
    I like the 40/60 it feel more responsive but don't know if it strong enough to stop the GT in the reef.
    Any input will be appreciated, Thanks.

Sand

2. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I went to cast both rods yesterday and the 60-80 lb rod with a komodo popper (no hooks) casts very very well. I didn't try any lures less than 90 grams, but I can easily cast a shibuki 100+ yards with the 60-80 lb. If you are going to cast a lot of 70 gram lures, I'd go 40-60, but if you are doing 90 grams and up you can sling them a mile with the 60-80

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

I am sure both would do the trick, but seeing as how I can only fish "head boats".. I want a stiff stick(hehe) to beat the fish as fast as I can and keep them from jacking up the other angler's lines. If I had a private boat, I would rather use the 40/60 as I love a good fight. :) I guess its all relative as to HOW MUCH DRAG you want to use :)

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

5. saddaharu

saddaharu Junior member

Hi Sand,
    GT's do not fight like tunas.
    more information on where you will be fishing? lure weight? and the GT's weight range will help to determine what rod will be adequate.

Cheers mate.

6. saddaharu

saddaharu Junior member

Hi Sand,
    more information on where you will be fishing? lure weight? and the GT's weight range will help to determine what rod will be adequate.
    i remembered posting a reply did i not click on submit??

Cheers mate.

7. SAND

SAND Member

8. SAND

SAND Member

Hi Sand,
    i remembered posting a reply did i not click on submit??

Cheers mate.

I'm going to Indonesia Island where the GT weight from 30-50 Kg.
    Lure weight between 70-130 grams.

9. SAND

SAND Member

I went to cast both rods yesterday and the 60-80 lb rod with a komodo popper (no hooks) casts very very well. I didn't try any lures less than 90 grams, but I can easily cast a shibuki 100+ yards with the 60-80 lb. If you are going to cast a lot of 70 gram lures, I'd go 40-60, but if you are doing 90 grams and up you can sling them a mile with the 60-80

Thanks for the info that really help, now I know both rod cast great, I need to decide which one better suite for me.
    My popper weight between 70-130 grams.
    Mainly I will use this rod for GT but I'd like to use it for Tuna as well.

10. SAND

SAND Member

To quote myself: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f67/200-lb-bluefin-oti-tuna-sniper-40-60-a-5729/

I believe that because the 40/60 and 60/80 are both long rods, most fishermen would be better served by the 40/60 because it is somewhat more flexible. The question is not only how much the rod can take, but how much drag you can hold on a long rod.

The 40/60 is a very strong rod.

I don't think I can handle drag more than 20 lbs for long, so that makes me go to 40/60 then instead of 60/80

11. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Thanks for the info that really help, now I know both rod cast great, I need to decide which one better suite for me.
    My popper weight between 70-130 grams.
    Mainly I will use this rod for GT but I'd like to use it for Tuna as well.

If you are going down to 70 grams I would do the 40-60 lb. It will work well for those lure weights

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If the average size of GT is 30 - 50 kg, I'd rather use 60 - 80 lbs Tuna Sniper.
    While we don't use heavy drag for tuna though they are big, GT fishing usually requires heavy drag as you have to fight GT as well as shallow structures.

When you look around for GT popping rods, you'll notice they use pretty heavy rods for them.
    Smith Komodo Dragon popping rod is desinged for big GT.
    See the spec. of the rod. 30 - 50 kg GT are not small. :)

Specs:
    Length: 7'6''
    Rod Weight: 430g
    Line: PE12
    Lure Weight: 300g
    Grip Length: 770mm
    Max Load: 10kg (45degrees), 5kg (90 degrees)

13. saddaharu

saddaharu Junior member

Hi Sand,
    i would go with Kil on this one. (Komodo)
    30-50kg range GT's are brutal, are you going to Komodo Island?
    if you are then you will have to look into stronger rods, there are a few rods that will do the job.
    poppers 70g will be a little too light to load these rods.
    you need big chuggers to get their attention.
    Smith
    Komodo, Tokara, Kerama or the Keyolhu.
    Zenaq
    Fokeeto Trevally 83-7, 80-10
    Fisherman GT monster, TRSH, Big Game, CC (if money i not an issue)
    there is also a new brand Ocean Revolution, they look pretty sweet looking at the specs.
    what you need for big GT's are not small poppers, they have to be big!! at least 130g to 250g!!

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

What do you all feel about the Ripple Fisher 79GT Reversal? Didnt we forget one of the best?

15. saddaharu

saddaharu Junior member

yup, that will do the job too.Nomad uses them on their charters.
    you won't go wrong with the Yamaga blanks ;)
    looking back at the topic, Mr Sand did made up his mind with a OTI :rolleyes:

cheers.
    What do you all feel about the Ripple Fisher 79GT Reversal? Didnt we forget one of the best?

16. SAND

SAND Member

I just bought The Tuna Sniper 60-80 yesterday then went to the beach to cast with 130 gram popper and it really cast great maybe about 80-90 yards, I believe heavier lure will cast ever farther.
    I'd like to thank you everyone in this forum for their suggestions, I'm happy with this rod this is a great rod for the money

I have checked all the rod that you guys suggest at angler's pro shop; smith komodo, zenaq, ocean revolution,etc. from the spec I see, they all look good and strong but little bit pricey, I might buy 1 of those for my second popping rod but not sure if they are 2 piece rod?
    I haven't made my mind yet, I'm still searching because what I need is a 2 piece rod so I can easily bring it with me to those remote fishing locations.

Answering saddaharu : I'm not going to Komodo island since the fishing ground there has been destroyed by illegal fishing
    But fortunately there is some islands not too far from komodo that still good for fishing, like Sumbawa, Timor, Alor, Nusa Tenggara, Papua island,and so many more.
    I read in other forum on the trip to those island a group of fishermen cause one stella 18000SR broken, and shimano caranx kaibutsu PE12 snapped off by huge GT.
    here the link: Big Game GT - Ulua Fishing Indonesia, popping trip dec 2008 - Sport Fishing Forums

But I'm not going to those island I mentioned above instead I'm going to Weh Island located at the western most part of the Indonesian archipelago.
    I heard there is alot of fisherman caught monster GT and Dogtooth Tuna and black marlin recently.