OTI rod Xtreme 3101 5'6" tested on a 400 +lbs. Black

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by panamasportfishinglodge, Apr 7, 2009.

1. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

TJ of OTI sent me a few rods by Wacker & Mr. Bill ,I wanted to add a little challenge to my game , " To catch a Marlin on spinning ", so I order 2 OTI Ocean Xtreme model 3101 5'.6" jigging rod , I paired it with brand new Shimano Stella 20000 and loaded it with braided , fishing have been really good at the Island of Ladrones the last three weeks , but things died down Sunday and Monday so most of the other boats abandoned the area , there was not a single boat there this morning , but the condition looks really good ,(skipjack) baits was balling at the top really tight , we so a couple of big splash, we caught a few baits and rig the two spinning gears with live bait, we started trolling and within 5 minutes , a nice Black inhaled the bait and just the sound of the reel screaming was demoralizing ,I was hoping for a fish under 300lbs. with this tackle , cause I know it will be a long fight , specially we have been catching fish over 500 lbs, the last few weeks , the fish gave as a really good show ,jumping so many times, I was really surprise how the OTI rod handle this fish , I was able to pull on the fish with the rodand felt under control the whole time, In fact I was able to bring this fish in , under 23 mins. the fish is easy 400 lbs, the fish was caught and release, I am very impressed with the tackle cause I saw last Saturday another boat hooking up on a Marlin with spinning tackle and lost the fish when his rod broke,well after all the high five's, we rerig and within a few minutes we had another fish on , this one was a tad smaller but nevertheless this tackle was in for a workout , 2 Black Marlin in one day or less than one hour, what a day , for anybody that would like to try this , we have the tackles available for you, Thanks to OTI for an awesome rod , enjoy the Pics. Panama Sportfishing, panama fishing charters | Panamasportfishinlodge.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4767.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4784.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4814.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4900.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4928.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4986.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_4994.jpg
    http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/panamasportfishinglodge/DSC_5002.jpg

2. panamasportfishinglodge

wow very impressive footage there , you got to love OTI quality rods . Great job Tj does with his products.

More than impressed!!!

3. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

What line were you using?

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Congratulations John,

If you only knew how many hours myself, Wacker, Alban and his buddy spent trying to get one hooked on a spinner. The fishing God's didn't want us to catch one on a spinner.:mad: I think I was to prepared. The marlin sense it.

I knew it was just a matter of time. Great catch. Especially two in one day on spinning gear.

5. panamasportfishinglodge

What line were you using?
    80 lb. blue diamond Momoi

6. panamasportfishinglodge

Congratulations John,

If you only knew how many hours myself, Wacker, Alban and his buddy spent trying to get one hooked on a spinner. The fishing God's didn't want us to catch one on a spinner.:mad: I think I was to prepared. The marlin sense it.

I knew it was just a matter of time. Great catch. Especially two in one day on spinning gear.

Thanks Mr. Bill ,I was wishing myself for you guys to get one on spinning , i think the key was putting 2 identical rods out , so the fish don't have a choice

7. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Amazing! I've been dreaming of catching marlin on a spinning setup. Congrats!

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

tahts just plain out wicked. panama hot spot for big marlin on spinnign gear!

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Congratulations John,

MrBill, I think I spent thousand hours to hook up a bigeye on jigs without success. When I fished on the Canyon Runner out of Point Pleasant a few years ago, I jigging for tuna for several hours for nothing. So I went to the cabin for rest. Eddie,mate of the boat, used my jigging setup and hooked up a bigeye within 5 minutes after I went to the cabin. :eek:

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Awesome pics John. see you in a couple of weeks.

11. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

That is wild, got to love seeing something like this. I guess this ups the stakes and will set the bar way up there in the nose bleed seats. Figure this one out and name your price on gear, and tackle.

12. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

That's just insane! What a day fishing. A great day in Panama and I believe a first for OTI.

Fred

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Wacker nailed a huge Black Marlin on an OTI 7'6" 60-80 popping rod two weeks ago. His was a conventional rod using a Hoo-X. The reel was brand new and he took it apart and greased the drag with Cal's grease. I think that was the key. Those Black Marlin aren't whimps either. They pull and pull and pull. The key is constant steady pressure.

14. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Remarkable !!!

Please tell me about the drag you used. Also was that Momoi 80lb Hollow core?

15. panamasportfishinglodge

Wacker nailed a huge Black Marlin on an OTI 7'6" 60-80 popping rod two weeks ago. His was a conventional rod using a Hoo-X. The reel was brand new and he took it apart and greased the drag with Cal's grease. I think that was the key. Those Black Marlin aren't whimps either. They pull and pull and pull. The key is constant steady pressure.

Your excatly right Mr. Bill , constant steady pressure

16. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Freaking awesome, nice pics!

17. panamasportfishinglodge

Remarkable !!!

Please tell me about the drag you used. Also was that Momoi 80lb Hollow core?
    I have it set around 30 + lbs. but I thumb it from time to time when I feel like I can apply more pressure , because the way Marlin can take off,(I actually have a burnt blister on my finger} , could not get it out of the way fast enough, i was afraid that I will not have enough time to adjust the drag, Yes it is Momoi hollow core 80lb

18. panamasportfishinglodge

time to catch a bigger fish on spinning :(

19. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

sensational photos of a sensational catch!!

20. bigchris

bigchris Junior member

I,ll have one on the wall one day!