OTI foregrip slipping (how do I fix it?)

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by bigfishjaeck, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

Hello to all that can provide some feedback... My OTI 3101-60S has a confortable foregrip rubber cover (over the foam foregrip below it)that is very comforting when stuck on nice fish (OTI did good in puting it in)... Mine however is coming undone... the adhesive that bonded it tightly to the foam foregrip has " lost" its adhesive properties. It is rolling itself downwards when I hold on to a strong fish. The issue came worse today when I put some good pressure on a foul hooked 150# shark (pectoral fin). All the rubber cover rolled itself down all the way to the reel seat. I have fished this rod hard (Tuna, Marlin, big wahoo, groupers...you name it)... and it has held up great.... But I need to get this fixed at it is a " nondesired" distraction when hooked up.

Any idea on what adhesive to use??? One that will not affect the rubber and stick to the foam...And remain stuck when rod is arching...

Any other foregrip padding available out there that could replace the one that's slipping on my rod?

Thanks to all in advance for any suggestions...

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

3. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

A public reply might be more useful for those others who may experience this problem!:)

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Canyondiver,

Yes, it would and I should have reply his post to begin with:) . thanks

I was suggesting him to cut open the heat shrink tube and replace it with 4:1 shrink ratio heat shrink tube.

5. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Perhaps just try adding heat from a blow drier at the high setting. This may shrink the tube down tightly enough to keep it in place again. I am not familiar with 4-1 ratio heat shrink as the ones that I use are 2-1 at best.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

3M make a 3 to 1 heat shrink

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

8. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 6' OTI jigging rod but since I found the grip slippery whenever I got fish slime on it, I just removed it. The foam (Hyphalon?) grip works better for me and I'm happy with it :)

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Only one thing to say: 3M-Cold shrink--expensive but incredible. It is thick and might change the feel of the handle, but you could use it as a gun barrel.

10. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

Thanks to all for the feedback... Will try out the 3M heat shrink.... Thanks to OTI for offering to fix it... but I guess its something I'll do myself (cannot afford to let the rod go (i'm afraid I'll miss it!!).

Besides the foregrip issue.... The rod has seen a LOT of bend in Puerto Rico... I believe I got the 1st one down here... then my dad got one... and I baught one for my best buddy... The rods are kicking butt down here!! Congrats on the product...