OTI DEPTHFINDER LINE

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by HUNTER II, May 16, 2008.

1. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

I'm having serious difficulty in joining the OTI Depthfinder line (60 lb test) to a flourocarbon leader (80 lb test). I have tried a Yucatan knot, a double surgeons knot, a double uni-knot, a slim beauty, and an offshore knot and I get the same result each time the 60lb braid breaks at 35 - 40 lbs. The only way I can get even close to the rated line strength is a bimini to bimini loop with the braided end catspawed around the fluorocarbon. That arrangement breaks at 55 lbs. The double bimini is a major pain to tie and it doesn't run throught the guides very well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I thought every jigging and popping fishermen use Mid Knot or PRknot. :)
    Don't believe knot testing results and believe your confidence.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

I'm having serious difficulty in joining the OTI Depthfinder line (60 lb test) to a flourocarbon leader (80 lb test). I have tried a Yucatan knot, a double surgeons knot, a double uni-knot, a slim beauty, and an offshore knot and I get the same result each time the 60lb braid breaks at 35 - 40 lbs. The only way I can get even close to the rated line strength is a bimini to bimini loop with the braided end catspawed around the fluorocarbon. That arrangement breaks at 55 lbs. The double bimini is a major pain to tie and it does run throught the guides very well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Are you telling me your depthfinder line is breaking at 35#'s instead of 60

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I would in no way question Kil on the knots he mentions--he is much more experienced in that area than I am, but I just happen to be unable to tie them well :mad: However, using very similar line (YKG jigman), I have had excellent results tying a small loop in the braid using either a 40 turn Bimini or a 7-turn surgeons loop, and joining that to a short fluoro leader with the regular (not reverse) Albright. I have tested numerous examples of this combination (using 80 pound braid and 80 pound fluoro) to a 64 pound straight pull without breakage. I don't go any further than that because that is 80 percent strength, and I don't want to end up with a Chatillon scale and super mutu hook up my...but you get the picture.

Admittedly, this would not work as well with a long leader that you want to cast through the guides.

Russ

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Uncle,
    many guys have problems to tie Mid Knot because they pull mono and braided line apart without any angle as shown in diagram #10.
    It you pull them apart without any angle, it get slipped before getting bite.
    Pull them apart with 120 - 150 degree, then you invariably get bite.

[​IMG]

6. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

yes - that's correct the OTI 60 lb line is breaking at 35 - 40 lbs as measured on a drag scale - I actually stumbled on to the problem when I was showing a friend how to join fluoro to OTI braid - I tied up my favorite Yucatan knot and we put a scale on it to demo how strong the knot was and to my surprise it broke at 35 lbs - I subsequently tried the other knots listed with the same results

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

yes - that's correct the OTI 60 lb line is breaking at 35 - 40 lbs as measured on a drag scale - I actually stumbled on to the problem when I was showing a friend how to join fluoro to OTI braid - I tied up my favorite Yucatan knot and we put a scale on it to demo how strong the knot was and to my surprise it broke at 35 lbs - I subsequently tried the other knots listed with the same results
    I suggest to put some glue on the knot and test again. You'll see the different results. Most knot get slipped on heavy drag and it causes the breakage. That is exactly what happened when I tested knot strength with Basil. Since the test, I always apply glues on the knots.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I use depthfinder exclusively on 6 reels and I have never had any issues with it breaking at all, if anything it has consistantly broken at a higher rating. Is it breaking above the knot at the knot???

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I use depthfinder exclusively on 6 reels and I have never had any issues with it breaking at all, if anything it has consistantly broken at a higher rating. Is it breaking above the knot at the knot???

I concur. most all my knots are breaking between 55-75# on the OTI
    60# stuff. I'm sure I would get a better percentage if I tied them better:rolleyes:

just my opinion, but if a bimini works for you, then use it. I can see it being
    a bit longer to tie one, though.
    personally, a 20-wrap albright is my go-to. relatively easy to tie on a
    pitching boat, and normally tests right around 90-100% when tied right &
    glued. not really bad going thru the guides, either. course, I run shorter leaders, too.:D
    tight lines
    -Brian

10. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Uncle,
    many guys have problems to tie Mid Knot because they pull mono and braided line apart without any angle as shown in diagram #10.
    It you pull them apart without any angle, it get slipped before getting bite.
    Pull them apart with 120 - 150 degree, then you invariably get bite.

So that's the secret!! It was driving me nuts cause I couldn't get it to bite. Gonna get right on it. Thanks, Kil!! :)

11. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

The OTI is breaking at the knot - when I tie a bimini on both ends of a length of the 60 lb braid and test the line, the line breaks at 58 - 62 lbs - the braid is definetly breaking on the harder fluorocarbon at the point where it is actually choked - KSONGs knot does not choke the braid - after seeing KSONGs knot I think the Yucatan will work with the glue that he recommends because the braid won't be heavily choked at the bend in the fluoro - thanks so much for your interest - I love messing around with knots

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil:OK, I will try it again, but I bet I give up. :)

Brian: I haven't tried the 20 turn Albright--I have just used 12 turns, but will give that a whirl. Do you loop your braid first?

Russ

13. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Ichibahn: That is the most amazing sequence I have ever seen in my life! 21 steps! I doubt that the blueprints for the Empire State Building were that complicated. :)

The midknot looks easy compared to that. :D

Seriously, I mean no disrespect. I don't doubt the integrity of that knot for one minute. But I could never tie it in my living room, much less in darkness on a head boat with 6 foot seas. If I were forced to tie that knot or be executed, I would just go ahead and put my neck in the noose. But you can tell from its construction how strong it must be.

Russ

15. gman

gman Senior Member

Russ it is without a doubt the best overall knot, with that said. I have had Randy and Sami both show me in person and I still cant do it right. One day I get it

16. etan

etan Senior Member

I'm like Uncle Russ, the simpler the better. I tie a 7 turn Surgeon's loop in spectra and then do a loop to loop catspaw with a windon leader. Never checked it on a scale but never had any breakage. I used to tie uni to uni between spectra and mono but I like loop to loop better.

17. gman

gman Senior Member

honestly the uni-uni knot has always been my favorite and held up to some huge fish

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

id like to try the PR and mid-knot to see how they cast. mid-knot looks more intuitive

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I suspect it's like most things--perfection isn't required--until you need it--if you are fishing under conditions where you absolutely have to have the best--then you damned well better use the best or get skunked. I doubt that most people need the knots like the Bimini, mid-knot, or Page Ranking knot for 90 percent of their fishing. But if you are fishing huge amounts of drag, ultra-light line, for 100 KG Trevally on a coral reef, for a world record, or something else along those lines, then you better not settle for second best. And for folks like you, Ichibahn, or Kil, or Randy or Sami, (and I hear from Doug (d-a) that he uses those as well,) where you take enjoyment and pride in coming as close to perfection as possible, it is most definitely worth doing. For me at least, I stand in awe. I find you folks who tie these incredible knots to be a little like Alantani describing his work on reels. I know he doesn't make his living doing that, so he must really, really like it. Again, I stand in awe, but if I had to do it myself, I would rip out several feet of grey hair by their roots.

I have to add that I would have the same amount of deep respect for Gunsmoke--for his perfectionism in creating the Ultimate Milk Crate--if he hadn't traded it to his best friend for a gallon of rotgut, Godless demon rum, instead of making a gift of it to the only person on earth who truly appreciated it.

Russ

20. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I saw Ichibahn tie PR knots for several folks on a rocking boat with his home made weighted bobbin with no problems it's one I have to learn he made it look easy and tied them very fast.