OTI 80 lb. spinner prototype

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by STx Fisherman, Jul 29, 2007.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

DBG (Tom) and Minnow (TJ) dropped by my house this morning so that we could check out the 7.5 ft. OTI 80 lb. spinning rod prototype. Attached are a couple of pics.

We later met up with Snagged, Etan, Ragman, and had lunch in Port Aransas. We got to check out the OTI 7.5 ft. 50 lb. prototype...(I like that one for poppers). They are both very well built and very strong rods. We also went to check out a World Cat 330TE ... I might be snagged.....very nice boat.

Attached Files:

2. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

nice house!!!!!!! omg i almost forgot to look at the rod that tv kinda got me off subject my god thats huge.. but very nice cant wait to get my hands on that rod :D

3. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Nice rod! You gotta bring that on a trip I can try it on TJ! :)

Thanks again Richard for letting my son and I fish at your place the other night. Even though we didn't catch alot we had a fun time. I'd love to see it sometime when you can just see the trout swimming in the greenlight :)

Earl

4. Ratherbfishing

Ratherbfishing Member

Hey Minnow Under your screen name I notice you live in richardson. I live in rowlett, Im going on a 60hr tuna trip on aug 11. I would like to stop by and checkout your rods. Im looking to pick up one soon. Thanks Tony

5. stickbom

stickbom Member

Guys, I noticed that the prototype comes fitted with high frame (HV) guides. Any particular reason why? Trouble is, they have a bad habit of collapsing when your braids get caught in it during casting. The high frames also take up a lot of space in rod tubes when travelling! Maybe you can consider MN frame guides for the production model? Just a suggestion :)

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

STickbom,

We were just testing with different guides, production rods will have Fuji MN frame.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

7. stickbom

stickbom Member

Thanks for the heads up Minnow. The rod looks really promising and the bend looks nice in the photo too! All the best for your rod's acid test :)

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Hey TJ, any chance the 80#, 7.5', butt-joint prototype
    will be available in a conventional version?
    Trying to find something for that Accurate I bought:rolleyes:
    something for pitching bait/lite iron.
    -Brian

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey TJ, any chance the 80#, 7.5', butt-joint prototype
    will be available in a conventional version?
    Trying to find something for that Accurate I bought:rolleyes:
    something for pitching bait/lite iron.
    -Brian
    That is why I ordered two 7.5' 80 lbs blanks when tj posted. One for spinning and one for conventional. As airline regulations are getting tougher, they don't accept free check-in luggage longer than 7' anymore on most airlines.