OTI 7'6" popping rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Aug 29, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Would the heavier model be overkill for smaller BFT, like 40-50 inch fish? I'm about to buy one (today), and just don't want to get one that is too heavy for the majority of fish. The majority of fish won;t be 65+ inches forever, maybe not even next year

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to rods. Both the 40-60 and 60-80 will handle 20lbs of drag. I would base it off what weight lure your wanting to target the blue fin with. The 40-60 will cast a lighter lure farther than the 60-80.

d-a

3. hamptonsurf

tried to cast a light lure with the 60-80....no problem at all, so I added it to my pile. Just wish it came in a "non-gold" color scheme.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

tried to cast a light lure with the 60-80....no problem at all, so I added it to my pile. Just wish it came in a "non-gold" color scheme.

I cast 90g shibuki's with mine. You could have a custom one made any color you wanted.

d-a

5. hamptonsurf

that will be the next step, for sure....once I find all the rods I like best, they will all be custom to match....can't wait.