OTI 7'6" Popper 60/80 Castability??

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nikonfme, Sep 24, 2009.

1. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

I looked at one today and was a bit surprised that the tip was pretty stiff. I compared it to a Calstar 700H and the Calstar had quite a a bit more flex than the OTI. I need a rod to hold me over until I have a couple of customs built this fall/winter. I am casting 2.5-3.5 oz plugs. It does not look like I could load up the OTI too much for distance. Any input would be appreciated. Some will say go with the 40/60 but that is not an option for me right now. Would not mind hearing though if there is quite a bit of difference in the 40/60 casting wise.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

there is a difference in the 40/60 - it will throw the 2.5-3.5 oz weights better than the 60/80 will.

have you looked at a tuna sniper as well - or are you wanting to keep the length down a bit?

3. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

there is a difference in the 40/60 - it will throw the 2.5-3.5 oz weights better than the 60/80 will.

have you looked at a tuna sniper as well - or are you wanting to keep the length down a bit?

No, did not have a chance to see any in the MA area. Do you own a 40/60? This rod is primarily for large tuna in the Chatham or Stelleagen area so I could easily expect a 150 to 200# tuna. I know there are trade offs. 40/60 vs 60/80. One cast better and one can reel in a slob no problem.

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

if you are in the north shore area first light anglers carries all the oti rods and some ocean revolution rods as well. i dont know what they have in stock but it is well worth the trip. they are in rowley right on 1a but before route 1.

5. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

if you are in the north shore area first light anglers carries all the oti rods and some ocean revolution rods as well. i dont know what they have in stock but it is well worth the trip. they are in rowley right on 1a but before route 1.

That's where I was today and they only had the one 60/80

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

oh. sorry, i would hold out for a 40/60 for lighter lures.

7. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

oh. sorry, i would hold out for a 40/60 for lighter lures.

Would that still have enough backbone for a 200 pounder?

8. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Here is a shot of the 7'6" OTI in action
    [​IMG]

it caught this. 69"
    [​IMG]

9. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Here is a shot of the 7'6" OTI in action
    [​IMG]

it caught this. 69"
    [​IMG]

Which one? 40/60 or 60/80?

10. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Sorry that was important. Its the 40-60. It handled 22lb drag. Mike was throwing a 1oz slug glo that we made. It cast great, Sands will be using the rod now. He just bought it off me. I'm trying a new prototype blank now. I did not like the 60-80 that much.

11. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Sorry that was important. Its the 40-60. It handled 22lb drag. Mike was throwing a 1oz slug glo that we made. It cast great, Sands will be using the rod now. He just bought it off me. I'm trying a new prototype blank now. I did not like the 60-80 that much.

Thanks for that input. Was there a reason for not liking the 60-80 that much?

12. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Thanks for that input. Was there a reason for not liking the 60-80 that much?

It could use lighter tip for better casting yet still have the power. Also it killed your back fighting fish. Yes its better for those bigger fish, but most times for me casting is more important. Many times just a couple feet make difference in getting bit or not. WOrry about the rod after it hooked the "too big" fish for what it is rated for...LOL

13. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

It could use lighter tip for better casting yet still have the power. Also it killed your back fighting fish. Yes its better for those bigger fish, but most times for me casting is more important. Many times just a couple feet make difference in getting bit or not. WOrry about the rod after it hooked the "too big" fish for what it is rated for...LOL

Very good points and am feeling the same way. Just seems to stiff for a 7'6" rod when you really want to get yor plug into the fish. I guess if the fish is too big for the rod, well it's time to display your good fishing skills and land that slob.:D

14. jig

jig Senior Member

What is the heaviest lure you would be comfortable casting with the 40/60 (the 7.5, not the Tuna Sniper)?

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What is the heaviest lure you would be comfortable casting with the 40/60 (the 7.5, not the Tuna Sniper)?

120g would be the heaviest I would use. Most I use are in the 60-75g range.

With my 60-80 I only cast 100-120g lures(shibuki's) and can cast as far if not farther than everyone else on the boat.

d-a

16. Fin Addiction

Fin Addiction Site Sponsor

I've got two of the OTI 60-80 7'6" popping rods and couldn't be more pleased with them for Cape Cod bluefin. We whipped a 69" fish in 10 minutes on one the other day paired with an 1800 Stella SW. I generally throw Ocean Lures and big rubber with these rods and I have been pretty happy with the distance. Used with Pametfisher windons gets me even more distance compared to using the PR knot. These rods are puuuuuuuuurfect for the size of fish out there right now IMO.....I wish I had two more!

17. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

I would only be casting up to 3oz plugs/sticks

18. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I would only be casting up to 3oz plugs/sticks

I've been using the Tuna Sniper 40/60 all year. It casts plugs in the 2.5 oz. to 5 oz. range, 80-90 yards, with effort. 70-75 yards is easy. It is a long rod but in my experience, manageable. One of the things I like about the OTI rods is the long grip section, over 32". That lets me wear my belt low and then get decent leverage. I went with the 40/60 to get a softer rod. If you don't high-stick it, it will stand up to 25 lbs. drag.

Although I haven't used it, I would agree with Fin that the 7' 6" rod would be a good rod too, and certainly easier to handle.

19. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I can cast my heavy oti 7'6" with a komodo popper about 65yds.....on 80lb. power pro hollow and WITHOUT one of pametfishers leaders.

I expect that to increase significantly when his leaders arrive today and even better when I swap out the line for JB 60. Those rods cast very well.

I'll add that with lighter line, I expect to be able to throw a weighted sluggo bout 75 yds as well. I would not step down to the lighter version. I'd be interested to try casting them each, side by side, with the same line and lures....I bet there isnt much difference in distance, even with 2-3 oz lures.