360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my OTI 7'6" 80# rod and was curious about the stripper guide placement. I am using a MNSG 40 flipped so the single leg is towards the reel. At 24" from the front of the reel seat (10" foregrip, 1/2" winding check before the reel seat), I was getting a good amount of line slap. I have it now at 28 or 29" and it casts much nicer! I am using a Saragosa 18000 with Daiwa Metered 80# line (use the reel for jigging, too!). I used an Albierto knot to tie on 80# seaguar fluoro, but will be using the Pamet wind ons when I really fish. How far from the reel seat do you guys have that first guide? It just seems odd to have it that far away from the reel, but this is my first popping rod. I gotta do more testing since I am standing in the street, casting across my yard and getting caught up in trees 60 yds away with a 4 3/8oz popper! I am using a 40-25-16-12-12-12-12 12tip top for my guides, all MNSG's.

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it! I have those size guides, I will try them out hopefully tomorrow and compare the 2 setups to see which one work nicer. I usually prefer the quicker step down, maybe I will go 40, 30, then 20, 16, 12, 12, 12 12 tiptop.

There is another reason for the quicker step down, too! I have been playing with a "hybrid" wrap. Take a normal popping rod with a detachable butt section, flip the butt so the reel is up and set up a spiral wrap setup!

It worked with the guide at 24", dunno about the new setup! I gotta finish tuning this one as a spinning rod, then play with the spiral setup once I get the guides spaced for the spin! With the 25mm guide, I gotta be careful that the line doesn't hit the outer legs of the guide as it transitions down!

·
675 Posts
I am working on my OTI 7'6" 80# rod and was curious about the stripper guide placement. I am using a MNSG 40 flipped so the single leg is towards the reel. At 24" from the front of the reel seat (10" foregrip, 1/2" winding check before the reel seat), I was getting a good amount of line slap. I have it now at 28 or 29" and it casts much nicer! I am using a Saragosa 18000 with Daiwa Metered 80# line (use the reel for jigging, too!). I used an Albierto knot to tie on 80# seaguar fluoro, but will be using the Pamet wind ons when I really fish. How far from the reel seat do you guys have that first guide? It just seems odd to have it that far away from the reel, but this is my first popping rod. I gotta do more testing since I am standing in the street, casting across my yard and getting caught up in trees 60 yds away with a 4 3/8oz popper! I am using a 40-25-16-12-12-12-12 12tip top for my guides, all MNSG's.

Are you getting slap with the braid or the FC leader? If the latter it could be from the stiffness of the FC.

Most of the ones I built are in the 24-26" range depending on the reel seat and don't see that much of a problem but I use either taper hypalon or small OD EVA for the foregrip.

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting slap with the braid. I first casted it with the braid direct to the lures and was getting slap. I know the leader will cause more slap, so I tied a 12' leader on to test it with that. The 28" casts pretty nicely for me so far, but I gotta do some more testing with it tomorrow. Saga had a good point about the quicker step down slowing the line down and causing the loops to bunch up more, so I will try it with a 40, 30, 20, 16 step down tomorrow!

The slap I am getting is the line bunching up at the stripper guide and hitting the area of the guide foot, not slap on the blank between the reel and the stripper guide.

I looked at Mr Bill's post about jigging and popping rods and it looked like his first stripper guide was around 28-30" away from the reel seat and I think his rod has the quicker stepdown like mine does.

·
675 Posts
The slap I am getting is the line bunching up at the stripper guide and hitting the area of the guide foot, not slap on the blank between the reel and the stripper guide.

I looked at Mr Bill's post about jigging and popping rods and it looked like his first stripper guide was around 28-30" away from the reel seat and I think his rod has the quicker stepdown like mine does.

Ahh, I thought you meant on the foregrip.

I'm 99% sure I used on 40,25,16,12,... layout on the rods I built for him. You could probably remove one the #12 guides out of the layout but only a deflection test and cast testing will tell you for sure.

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally had 3 of the 12's and went to 4. I keep going back and forth with the spacing and tweaking the setup. I have a supply order arriving tomorrow for a rod and a gaff for Christmas, so I have tomorrow AM to play with this stuff until that order comes in, then I gotta knock those out for the holidays!

I scared my neighbor today; I launched a River2Sea dumbell popper and it landed on the stone wall on the property line while he was 20' away from it walking his dog! He was behind trees like 20' to the right of the wall when it hit. :)

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figures, Fed Ex showed up a day early for once!!! There goes my play time until these Christmas orders are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts