OTI 5'6" 600gm spiral wrap rod report

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by STx Fisherman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I got out to Southern yesterday and had a chance to try out the OTI 5'6" 600 gram spiral wrap rod that I built. The rod worked WONDERFULLY!

I was concerned that the blank was a bit too stiff for jigging, but when coupled with my Accurate 665NN reel...it is definitely the best rod/reel combo that I have jigged with to date. I was catching fish on most every drop. I jigged up lots of snapper, a couple of bonita, a nice AJ (was not quite a keeper) and a beeliner. I am very impressed with the sensitivity of the rod....you can feel all of the bumps and changes that prompt you to set the hook. The rod is so sensitive that I bet that you can feel a feather brushing the line. Needless to say, I was very pleased with my new fishing weapon.

I also caught a couple of Scamp, (one right after the other), on live pin perch on the bottom that weighed 5-6 pounds. (Now I have to figure out how I'm going to cook up that Scamp this evening).

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Nice report, What jigs were you using?

3. STx Fisherman

Williamson Benthos Pink/silver 7 oz. jig.

4. etan

etan Senior Member

How far is it to Southern from your house?

5. STx Fisherman

51 miles from the boat lift.

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

post a pic of your rod please. :D

7. STx Fisherman

I guess I need to take a picture of the entire rod....here are some pics that I took to show the spiral wrap.

Attached Files:

8. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Richard,

Glad you like the rod, I picked up the same blank at the 360Tackle Warehouse this weekend so I could wrap one just like yours. I'm thinking about using the Avet HX for a while, maybe getting an Accurate 665 NN someday.

Yep, I'll be doing the spiral wrap too!! All black wraps for me though. Hope to have it ready for the July 4th Big E trip!

Tom - DBG

9. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to post! I just got back from my inshore trip and catching up and working on the report.

But, how did the boat do?! If you've posted it somewhere else, I'll remove this later.

10. STx Fisherman

The boat did FANTASTIC! I love this boat. We went out in sloppy 3-5 footers...washtub type conditions. The best cruise speed that was comfortable was 26-29 mph. We made it to Southern from the Packery Channel jetties in 1 hour and 45 minutes. The boat is built for fishing.

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The boat did FANTASTIC! I love this boat. We went out in sloppy 3-5 footers...washtub type conditions. The best cruise speed that was comfortable was 26-29 mph. We made it to Southern from the Packery Channel jetties in 1 hour and 45 minutes. The boat is built for fishing.

Let's fish it!!!!