360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,030 Posts
Can not speak for the conventional but I have the 400 gr spinning and absolutely love it. I wish I had a 400 gr conventional also.

·
3,165 Posts
I recently aquired a conventional 300g OTI split grip and can't wait to use it! I'm also having a custom split grip spinning 400g built and will post after I break it in. Spiney, what reel u got on that spinning rod?

·
94 Posts
Girlfriend landed a BFT around 130 on a 400grm and Pe 4 combo.. Thats about max for the rod as it was torqued over on the initial run.. but she landed it..

We use this combo for Striped bass jigging deep. A little overgunned but at 30 oz for the combo; its a nice all day rod.

·
2,030 Posts
I recently aquired a conventional 300g OTI split grip and can't wait to use it! I'm also having a custom split grip spinning 400g built and will post after I break it in. Spiney, what reel u got on that spinning rod?

I have a Saragoosa 8000 on my 400 gr.

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. I saw a good deal on this rod and thought it might be what I need.
here's what I'm looking for: i just bought a TN40N and am looking for a rod to catch grouper and AJs around rigs. Is this heavy enough or should I be looking at a 600g? I'm fishing 200-300g jigs and I fish from a belt instead of under the arm. are these rods going to have enough action or are they going to be too stiff for my style of fishing?

my fishing partners either use my stuff or have trevalas like me so I don't have the oportunity to fish with anything better to see what I like.

G

·
400 or 600 would be fine but i prefer the current 400 due to the better action. the newer rods should be great though, the 500g should be a monster buster.

·
2,030 Posts
I can tell you that the 400 blows away the Trevalla. Not even in the same league. You will have to put some butt behind the fish but the 400 should do you proud.

·
5,457 Posts
thanks for the input. I saw a good deal on this rod and thought it might be what I need.
here's what I'm looking for: i just bought a TN40N and am looking for a rod to catch grouper and AJs around rigs. Is this heavy enough or should I be looking at a 600g? I'm fishing 200-300g jigs and I fish from a belt instead of under the arm. are these rods going to have enough action or are they going to be too stiff for my style of fishing?

my fishing partners either use my stuff or have trevalas like me so I don't have the oportunity to fish with anything better to see what I like.

If you plan on using 25+ lbs of drag all the time at the rigs then I would go with the 600g. The 40n with upgrades can obtain 50 lbs of drag. 30 is the most I've used at the rigs and only once had an AJ take any drag.

d-a

·
975 Posts
400 or 600 would be fine but i prefer the current 400 due to the better action. the newer rods should be great though, the 500g should be a monster buster.
Have both 400gr & 600gr - prefer the 400gr - great backbone - use jigs from 200 - 400gr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts