oti 300 or 600?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by bdfishguy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

After lots of reading I think I will go with a Saragosa reel (14000 or 18000).
    I will be fishing mainly for BFT up to 100 lbs. Maybe a few sharks in the mix as well. Thinking most of my fishing will be jigging with a few short casts here and there. Water depth 100-300' typical. Thinking about the OTI 300g 6'. Would this be a strong enough rod or should I look at the 600g. I would really like to pop and jig with one setup but am realizing that is not an option. Downside of using a popping rod (OTI 7'6")for jigging? I understand the leverage thing. What line?

2. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

PM "Minnow" - he may give pro & cons on OTI 300 vs 600 gr rods

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I wouldn't want to catch a 100# BFT on a 300gr rod. I'd highly recommend going with the 600gr.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The size of tuna matters, but the choice of rod is depending on how much drag you use.
    If you use over 22 -23 lbs drag, I recommend 600g OTI rod.

5. JayP

JayP Member

I haven't used the 600g but have two of the 300g OTI jigging rods (spinning and casting) for the same application and water depths and love them. The 300g rod is rated for 40-60lb line and 20lb max drag but it has good backbone and mine have 65 and 80 lb braid on them. I went with the 300g over the 600g because I was concerned that the heavier rod might be too stiff to impart good action on lighter 5-8 oz jigs, and after using it wouldn't want anything much stiffer. A 10 oz / 300g jig is starting to bend it a bit more but it's still within its range, and fishing a jig heavier than that is more work than fun for me.

6. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

YayP
    What reels do you have on those 300g OTI's?

7. gman

gman Senior Member

the 600g rod is great but its a beast and made for really heavy jigs that you wont use up there. If you like some action to your rod I would suggest waiting for the 400g rod.

8. JayP

JayP Member

YayP
    What reels do you have on those 300g OTI's?

The spinner currently has a Stradic 8000FI (which I plan to swap out for a Saragosa, but I already had a spare 8000 sitting around) and an Accurate B2-870N on the conventional. It helps to alternate between spinning/conventional when one arm or the other gets tired. I've been using 16 lb drag on both reels but may bump that up a bit this year to maybe 18. On the conventional 300g rod the line gets pretty close to touching the rod at 16 lb drag. I see the merits of using 20+ lb drag to shorten the fight and get the fish in as quickly as possible but as someone relatively new to tuna fishing that's not my main goal just yet.

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'd second the 400g rod. Hope it's coming out soon. Good action for working the jigs, light, and strong.

Fred

10. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

Any thoughts on using an OTI 7'6" 300g popping rod for jigging? Still trying to find 1 go-to setup....

11. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Any thoughts on using an OTI 7'6" 300g popping rod for jigging? Still trying to find 1 go-to setup....
    * I used my OTI 7'6" 300gr for jigging before - definitely would won't recommend it for deep water
    * For jigging, the max length is 6' or less IMHO

12. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

How would the 6' 300g OTI spinning cast if you had to. Primary use would be jigging with the occasional cast if necessary.

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You can cast with it, it just won't go as far as the rods designed for long casting, like 8'6" tuna sniper. Heck, you can cast with any rod, doesn't mean it'll go very far that's all, lol! Since your primary use would be jigging and you're absolutely bound by 1 rig, go with the 6' OTI 300g and see how that fares out for you. Take a look at this:

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f4/big-oti-fish-4079/

14. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

300g rod should be able to handle less than 100lb tuna.
    600g rod will work fine with 200g jig but sweet spot will be with 300g jig.

400g rod will be available after ICAST 2009.

7'6" rod will work well with slow up and down jigging style.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The size of tuna matters, but the choice of rod is depending on how much drag you use.
    If you use over 22 -23 lbs drag, I recommend 600g OTI rod.

exactly :)

the 600g rod is extremely strong as everyone mentioned. but if you'll only use 18 lbs of drag you won't stress it enough for the proper action and may think its 'too stiff'.

also i think the bluefin up there should be larger than 100lbs this year. at least thats what im hoping!

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I got questions whether 400g or 500g rod are too stiff to give proper action to jigs, when I said 400g or 500g jigging rods are recommended for tuna jigging at my jigging seminars. I ususally answer back what kind of action they want to give to jigs jokingly. :)

Some jig fishermen think 300g rods are for jigs upto 300g and 500g rods are too stiff for 200 g - 300g jigs.
    I know many fishermen here used Hot Wei World 48XXH for AJ jigging in NC, but I don't think anyone who used the rods say the rods are too stiff for 200 g - 300g jigs though the rods are rated as 500g rod.
    I tested the flex of Hot Wei World 48XXH and OTI 600g rod and they have similar action and stiffness of tips.
    Here is a picture of OTI 600g blanks and other tuna jigging rods I use.
    As you see, the diameter of OTI 600g tip section is thinner than other usualy tuna jigging rod. I've never had problem to give all action I want with other usualy tuna jigging rods though I use 200g - 300g jigs for tuna.

The lure ratings of each rods can give general ideas, but you can not buy it just based on their ratings as lure ratings of jigging rods vary among different jigging rod brands.

[​IMG]

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Maybe you can compare the rod thickness but I dont think you can compare the action of the OTI 600 and the Hots as I have used both and they are totally different bends IMHO. The Hots is a more whippy tip and bends easily back to the grip as it is parabolic where the OTI 600 is much more stiff

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi Glen,
    my intention of the post is not to compare Hot Wei World and OTI 600g rods.
    I should say flex of tip rather than action not to make any confusion. :)
    So, how do you think of Hot Wei 48"XXH ? Do you agree with me the rod is not stiff for 200g - 300g when jigging AJ in NC ? :)

19. gman

gman Senior Member

Hi Glen,
    So, how do you think of Hot Wei 48"XXH ? Do you agree with me the rod is not stiff for 200g - 300g when jigging AJ in NC ? :)

Its not too stiff at all for 200-300g jigs, normally I will chose a rod that is slightly over my intended jig size so for 250-300g jigs a 400-500g rod is fine

Personally I like a slightly longer rod like 5'2" i feel it imparts better action on the jig but you should find a rod as you described with nice tip action

20. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hi Glen,

Kil i agree ,i have used 185g jigs for bft in Cape May with great success and
    felt that the Hotts is not to stiff, but not all rods perform the same no matter
    what the ratings say.

21. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Kilsong: I know you have a lot on your plate, but could you possibly bring a 600g OTI Conv. Rod to the Mohegan Sun CRunner seminar? I never held one before and wondered how it feels and flexes.

I bought a Shimano Tiagra 16 and want to get an idea of how the reel would fit on this rod.

John