Oregon Inlet Big Eye slams on the OBX 400 with pictures!

Discussion in 'Saltywater Tackle' started by Saltywater tackle, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Reelhappy1

Reelhappy1 Member

Awesome job! congrats to all

2. Saltywater tackle

Saltywater tackle Site Sponsor

Congrats on the Big Eye! That is a beautiful fish.

Did the OBX 400 feel under gunned at all anytime during the fight? Or did it handle it the whole time no problem?

Nice job guys! I would have been stoked with the Yellowfin.

Thank you JIGMEISTER.
    The OBX felt great and never felt undergunned.
    As long as you follow the specs on the rod, there will be no problems handling big fishes.

Sami

3. mtbrider

mtbrider Senior Member

Strong work guys...let me know if you want to try that fishery again...I was out earlier in the year for the yfts and knew someone was going to get into the fish with jigs

4. ateupwitit

ateupwitit Senior Member

Always impressive to read a post from you cats, awesome job on the catch and showcasing the equipment

5. JIGMEISTER

JIGMEISTER Senior Member

I guess Sami can speak for his experience, but it did not feel under gunned to me; it had the right combination of power but enough bend to make it not too tough on my body; my body as a whole was feeling pretty good at the time I asked Sami for assistance, i.e. my back, shoulders, legs etc., but what gave for me in the end was my forearm/wrist. The lack of strength in my forearm might be due to a minor forearm injury I sustained about a year ago 'or it could be I just need to hit the gym. Either way, the fact that a big eye of this size could be landed in around 30 minutes, two anglers or no, is a testament to its strength.

Although if you have the capabilities of an angler like Sami, I think you can put a bit more of a hurting on this type of fish using the OBX 500.

BTW, we shot some video of this trip and the Big Eye fight, so keep an eye out for that. You'll be able to see more of the rod in action.

That is great to hear. Just what I was hoping to hear. Nice bend so it doesn't hurt and enough power!

Sounds like an incredible blank with a lot of range.

Thank you JIGMEISTER.
    The OBX felt great and never felt undergunned.
    As long as you follow the specs on the rod, there will be no problems handling big fishes.

Sami

Awesome Sami! Sounds like the OBX 400 is amazing. You rated it for 50-150# fish and it handles a 256# BigEye in 30 minutes without being undergunned.

And it can jig a 150g jig and still be fun on the 50# class fish. Incredible range. Definitely on my short list for a 400g rod!

Once again, congrats to both Evan and Sami on an incredible fish! Congrats to Saltywater Tackle on bringing an incredible rod to market, again...

Inspiro likes this.
  6. Triay85

Triay85 Senior Member

The smile on your faces say it all! Nothing like accomplishing a mission like this, Congrats!

7. brant

brant Junior member

Congrats
    Great video
    what type of large hook are you using in the pic of the yellow fin Sami is holding upside down