360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a couple backup options if the tuna get picky next weekend on the Big E. Hope I get a chance to try them out.

6" Black sparkle Flying Fish
(Ebay. Very soft and supple bait, nice hook pocket)

12" Cape May Glow/Pink Dot Squid with CM220 hammered slab inside
(So bright you can read by them in the dark by them after charging them up with a bright light!)
Decided to go with the ST66 3/0 after trying single hook as well. The treble surpisingly did not get tangled in the tentacles.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Looking very tasty there mate. that squid is very nice, any of the online dealers carry that?

·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking very tasty there mate. that squid is very nice, any of the online dealers carry that?

Cape May Tackle. Got them from Dan.

·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good back up's what's your main game plan?

OTI and Strike Pro poppers, Jigs, and chunking. Will be my second time out for GOM tuna and first time for deep bottom fishing. Looking forward to it. Getting to try out my new xmas gift, Accurate
665N with OTI G3 400g rod.

Last deep bottom fishing was off Merrimac Mass for cod. Pulled up a nice 48# from 200'.
GOM 500'-600' sounds interesting.

·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just free line it out I guess. Not sure at this point but willing to experiment or hear techniques.

·
821 Posts
Most people cast and retrieve the flyers. I understand that some of the Venice guides just drift them behind the boat. They can be good at times.

·
4,723 Posts
OTI and Strike Pro poppers, Jigs, and chunking. Will be my second time out for GOM tuna and first time for deep bottom fishing. Looking forward to it. Getting to try out my new xmas gift, Accurate
665N with OTI G3 400g rod.

Last deep bottom fishing was off Merrimac Mass for cod. Pulled up a nice 48# from 200'.
GOM 500'-600' sounds interesting.

Don't see the infamous Shibuki/Brabus on your list of lures. You definitely don't wanna get on the Big-E without a couple. Daiwa Saltiga Sliders are also great alternatives as well as Smith Runbohs.

Saltywater Tackle - Brabus

Saltywater Tackle - Daiwa Slider

Saltywater Tackle - Runboh

·
4,723 Posts
Just free line it out I guess. Not sure at this point but willing to experiment or hear techniques.

I was told by some that drifting a floating artificial flyer into the chumline when flying fish are around is productive. Never tried it or seen it done myself yet.

·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
4,723 Posts
Yeah, I wasnt to specific on those. Got my new xmas Shibuki and sliders with me. I hope that sucker sails this weekend.

Good luck, post a report when u get back for us fishermen stuck at home. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts