optimum line fill for casting on 18000?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Apr 30, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

OK, so I got the saragosa in and I thought I had it nailed by ordering a 330yrd spool of 80lb diawa boat braid. I know yall said it was thin but damn its thin. I feel like I shorted myself leaving a lot of room left on the spool. How full do yall consider perfect for casting? Anyone know how much 80lb boat braid you can fit on an 18000? Wondering if I should pull it off and order the big spool so I can fill it up or be happy the way it is cause wind knots wont be as big of an issue?

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

1/8" from spool lip. if you think its overfilled, just do some practice casts. if wind knot occurs, cut it and then you should be perfect

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

1/8" from spool lip. if you think its overfilled, just do some practice casts. if wind knot occurs, cut it and then you should be perfect

Thats about what it is on the top of the spool. The gap is much larger on the bottom. One thing I noticed pretty quick is the reel seemed to stack more of the line towards the top and less towards the bottom.

There is definately less line on it than the pic of the stellas in gmans most recent NC pics found here.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/nc-jigging-again-mating-call-5047/

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thats about what it is on the top of the spool. The gap is much larger on the bottom. One thing I noticed pretty quick is the reel seemed to stack more of the line towards the top and less towards the bottom.

There is definately less line on it than the pic of the stellas in gmans most recent NC pics found here.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/nc-jigging-again-mating-call-5047/

I always fill mine to the spool lip, and then let it out behind the boat to pack it on tighter and wet. Once i am done with that its usually below the spool lip.

d-a

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I always fill mine to the spool lip, and then let it out behind the boat to pack it on tighter and wet. Once i am done with that its usually below the spool lip.

d-a
    This is what I do also. On my saragosa i filled it until it was even with the inner side of the tapered lip and then let it out the back of the boat to pack it.

6. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Casey how are you spooling your reel ? did you mounted on the rod and them spool it.

Yep. Just like the diagram in the shimano paperwork that came with it.

7. HWK

HWK Senior Member

You should have a bag with small washers in it that came with the reel. If the line does not lay on the spool right, you can add the washers to lift the spool. That should fix your problem.

8. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

You should have a bag with small washers in it that came with the reel. If the line does not lay on the spool right, you can add the washers to lift the spool. That should fix your problem.

Sweet. thanks!

Now I just need to decide if I want to pull this off and order a big spool that I will never use all of. I sure wish they sold this stuff in 500 yard spools. As thin as it is do yall think 330 yards of 100 would be an option or would that kill my casting distance?

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

just add a washer or two to get an even line lay. then i would gustimate how much extra line you would need to fill the rest of the spool andput that amount on the bottom of the spool, then use the rest of the line you already have. not much action in the bottom 50-75yds of your spool anyway. i often haveto use "fillers"

10. gman

gman Senior Member

I definately don't brim up when using a spinning reel it leads to wind knots even if its packed tightly. Personally I like at least 5-8 wraps of leader around the spool and I like to keep all line atleast a 1/8" back from spool lip. So I just back out accordingly

Its the best way to eliminate wind knots and make sure your casts are as long as they can be without issues

11. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I had mine done recently. We did a short, 20 or 30 yd of mono for a back filler, and then 352 yds of 80# Boat braid. It's to the brim, but it's not under much tension, line is spongy on the reel, so I will wind it onto my Tekota 800 and then spool back on the Saragosa wet and with drag. Should pack down nice and tight, then I can do the top shot and be all set for jigging!

12. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I've just loaded four spinning reels with the Hybrid method I described (Spooling). The reels are loaded pretty full but I agree with gman and kidflex, keep the line at least an eighth of an inch in.

A couple thoughts: Since Spectra absorbs no water wet or dry makes no difference. Also when you put line on a reel and take it back off and then put it on again you could introduce more line twisting so if you used your reel to crank it on, open the bail when you wind it off. If you machine spooled the line, leave the bail closed and reduce the drag to zero while you wind it off.

13. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

It was machine spooled, just by using the spool, very little tension and not an even back and forth motion. I did my Stradic 8000 using the Tekota as the filling spool and it worked great!! Packed nice and tight!!

14. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Has anyone tried casting the 100lb boat braid? If yall think it will cut down on distance I am going to uni to uni some 80 lb PP under it. It just drives me nuts to rig stuff and not take max advantage of my gear.