Opinions on these cheap jigs please

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by YMMV, May 18, 2009.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

2. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

They are out of Harker's Island and they are excellent as far as customer support.I have never used their jig's but plan trying them out soon.When the wind lay's down I will give a report as to how they work.They seem to be good as far as customer support.

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I've never seen this site before, they have jigging rods for cheap too.

4. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Definitly replace split ring's and hook's,but the jig's look alright.

5. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Definitly replace split ring's and hook's,but the jig's look alright.

Exactly what I was planning to do. :)

I think I'm going to try these jigs myself. For $5 a piece, how can you really go wrong ya know? (knock on wood)

6. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Hey Toneyc,
    I have one of their jigging rod's, will post report soon as the wind lay's down.
    David

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Actually got a box of these today believe it or not!

The 153 is a decent looking Nagamasa copy and cheap... Split rings are Very heavy-duty, really more than what's needed if using assist on solid ring. But the "solid rings" are actually just washers, and the assist cords feel like nylon! :) The hooks seem OK and could be retied with your own cord. But they're all a little on small side for my taste.

Also got the 117 to try bottom bouncing. They look nice too, same hardware as above. (Note though that the purple back one is not glow belly like page shows.)

The finish seems OK. But I have no reason to think they'll last like OTI, River2Sea, Smith, etc... But that's OK when toothy critters are around because they won't last long enough to matter. That's why I carry some cheapo's in the bag. ;)

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i wonder if the rod blanks are any good.The jigs look like they would work just fine.

9. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Hey Toneyc,
    I have one of their jigging rod's, will post report soon as the wind lay's down. David

Cool, thanks David.

10. DanS

DanS Senior Member

They look good. It's about time the Japanese got some 'price' competition. They also have other types of lures as well.

11. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I wonder if those rod guides will handle Spectra? It doesn't say on their site.

12. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I got some of these in the mail today and look like they will work good after an upgrade on hooks and rings.

13. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I also got 20 of them today. Although they're imitation jigs, they look exactly like the expensive jigs. However, you'll have to replace the hooks and rings.

14. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

On a scale of 1 - 10, how do you rate the finish? Seems pretty thick and durable?

15. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

For what they cost the finish seems as good as some name brand jigs. Only way to find out is to feed em to the fish.

16. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

They seem to be of good quality but as mentioned above you need to replace atleast the solid rings as they will fail if you hook a fish with any weight behind them.

17. Squished

Squished Senior Member

Can you guys state why you need to replace the hooks and rings? What's actually the issue?

[​IMG]

^^Interesting looking jig

18. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Per previous post...

...the "solid rings" are actually just washers, and the assist cords feel like nylon! :) The hooks seem OK and could be retied with your own cord. But they're all a little on small side for my taste...

19. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

They look purty alright!..I think I'll get some and do a field test withem, I'll post my results when i do.

20. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

We have used them for almost a year finish is very good,price hard to beat on some the spit and solid rings are decent mostly the smaller jigs and on the larger jigs the hardware is better all hooks are good I've had no problems.
    The company has been great to deal with.