Opinions on Daiwa Boat Braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by YMMV, Feb 2, 2009.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Anyone use it? Was thinking about using the daiwa line on my OJ. Even considered the new Sufix metered line. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I switched all my reels to Diawa Boat Braid. Its a very tough line that is extremely soft and durable even the PE8 (100) is soft and is easy to read. Everyone I jig with an a ongoing basis has switched as well. It also casts like a dream as well so if your ever using a double duty line it works great.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

glenn how much more difficult (if at all) is it to notice the color changes? I had the zenaq jigger trust on one reel but the markings were tougher to notice than the varivas or OTI. i know daiwa has markings ever 1m in addition to every 10m or whatever....just wondering if it gets confusing.

i used it once on chips reel but we just dropped to the bottom so i didnt pay attention.

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Anyone use it? Was thinking about using the daiwa line on my OJ. Even considered the new Sufix metered line. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

I got a sample which I used last fall. Very smooth, almost silky, knots up very well. The 55# Boat Braid tested between 55 and 60 lbs. so I'd say it doesn't overtest by much if that matters to you.

5. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

I have seen it offered in a variety of sizes in 300 yard spools, but do they offer the 500 yard spools in smaller sized like PE6 (80#)?

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Smallest spool for 500m is 100lb (PE-8). It's basically similar to Sufix 80lb test performance braid, since Sufix will break at higher test than 80lb rating they give it. The PE-6 daiwa is similar to Sufix 65lb test or so, and I've only seen it in 300m or 1800m.

7. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

I am thinking of spooling a 20000FA with it. Perhaps the PE-8 would be a good choice then. Can I get 500M of PE-8 on a 20000FA spool?

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I am thinking of spooling a 20000FA with it. Perhaps the PE-8 would be a good choice then. Can I get 500M of PE-8 on a 20000FA spool?

That is what I have on my stella 20kSW. You will not be able to fit 500m of it on your 20kFA. Depending on how tight you pack your line on the reel, you will most likely have anywhere between 60-100m of that daiwa line left over from the 500m spool. You don't need that much anyway, do you think you'll need more than 1300 ft of line? If you hook up to a monster that strips you of 1300 ft of line, you should be proud and let the thing go it's merry way, lol. Just my 2 cents. :D

9. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Smallest spool for 500m is 100lb (PE-8). It's basically similar to Sufix 80lb test performance braid, since Sufix will break at higher test than 80lb rating they give it. The PE-6 daiwa is similar to Sufix 65lb test or so, and I've only seen it in 300m or 1800m.

How do you think this may compair to the sufix metered braid? I know and have use sufix and have never had a problem with it.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Prior to using Daiwa Samurai and Boat Braid, I've only used exclusively Sufix performance braid. Sufix line is very strong, and I've never had it break on me from fighting a big fish before. Sufix braids are not soft and supple like the Daiwa samurai or boat braid, in fact the neon fire sufix 80lb braid I have is stiff like wire and the color coating comes off real easily and gets on everything. There simply is no comparison between the two as the Daiwa is a much better line. Seeing as the current prices for Sufix metered braid (check it out at basspro online) is actually more expensive than Daiwa boat braid available on ebay, it's a no brainer to buy the daiwa stuff. It's not worth buying the sufix line unless it's significantly cheaper and you're on a budget.

11. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

After seeing a couple of folks using it in NC (Glenn included) I bought a large (1800m) spool of the 100lb (pe8) and spooled my jigging reels. Am pleased so far. Pricewise there is no metered lne out there nearly as inexpensive. I got the spool for $207 which works out to a little over $10 per hundred yards. I think it's rated closer to it's advertised strength than lines sold in US (100 breaks near 100) but I like that. I'd really be happier if US lines were rated more accurately so you'd know exactly what you're buying.

Fred

12. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

That is what I have on my stella 20kSW. You will not be able to fit 500m of it on your 20kFA. Depending on how tight you pack your line on the reel, you will most likely have anywhere between 60-100m of that daiwa line left over from the 500m spool. You don't need that much anyway, do you think you'll need more than 1300 ft of line? If you hook up to a monster that strips you of 1300 ft of line, you should be proud and let the thing go it's merry way, lol. Just my 2 cents. :D

lordhell, you are probably right. I just want to make sure I get as much line on there as the spool can hold so I have some room to trim some off the top as it becomes worn. I was just thinking the 300 spool wouldn't quite fill the spool.

I too would happily salute the monster that takes 1300 feet of line. I hope I get the chance some day!

13. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I used this stuff for most of the season without any issues, the markings do get confusing no doubt but for the money it's great stuff.

Like most other line's they do/have had there problems. My shop in Queens had to send back 60 spool'd due to mysterious break-off's. Personaly I had no problems nor anyone I know has had any problems. I guess it all been worked out since all my local shop's now are all stocked up on this stuff.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

maybe i'll think of some. the goofy markings were the only deterrant. i liked it when i used it in terms of smoothness.

15. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

The markings are easy. Each color is 10 meters/33 ft. 3 colors is about 100 feet. Easy.

Fred

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

its got interim markings as well though doesnt it? every 5m?

17. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yes it does, just ignore that one if it confuses you and look at the main color changes. It's relatively easy to just focus on those.

18. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

About 1 1/2 years ago I put it on Torque 200 and 300. 300yds 65 and 80 lb each both had room for top shot also. These are fitted to OTI rods 6ft and 5.5ft.

I only have fished the 300. With the spool adjustment set right.
    (just like a bay reel) I was pleased how far I could cast a jig. both under handed and side arm. The line did not act up. Even with 6 -8 oz jig and short jigging rod.

I have also put 500 yds of 150 lb on Avet EXW 4\2 with 150lb top shot and 80 floro leader for chunking. As I like to also know how far out my chunk is.
    I did not like these results so much. But I feel it was more to chunking with
    150 lb braid than the brand of braid it self. Is it the best of the best, No I don't think so. Do I prefer it more than say a line like power pro. Yes for sure.

K2

Attached Files:

• penn.JPG
      penn.JPG
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Haven't put the line to a fish yet but the line is very smooth and flexible colors are bright and seem as if they would be easy to read. I liked working with it.

20. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

its got interim markings as well though doesnt it? every 5m?

Yes, they have made it too complicated. A simple straight up color change is all that is needed.

That being said, it is what is on all my setup's except one, and I wish it was on that one.