Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Earl, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl Senior Member

How was your opening weekend? I had an opportunity to hunt on a place in the hill country (Bandera) where they are wanting to thin their deer herd. No real trophies so to speak, just typical hill country deer. I took this high rack 8 opening morning. First buck for me with "crab claws". He's no monster but he'll eat good and I thought he had charachter.

Next weekend I'm back to my place in Young County.

Earl

Attached Files:

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Nice little buck! I am glad you had a nice opener!

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

nice deer Earl.. I was TMS all weekend.. Good thing as it was too warm for me...

4. Earl

Earl Senior Member

It was pretty cool in the hill country - at least Saturday morning...as for "little" he was big enough to put me in the hospital overnight :) I went in with chest pains yesterday afraid for the worst but after all tests were run it appears I just strained something dragging him out. I didn't weigh him but he was well over 100lbs. Time for one of them game dolly thingy's I guess. Funny thing is the chest pains didn't start till I was at work yesterday and getting stressed out again..
    Earl

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

darn Earl, watch out for those chest pains.. Glad it was nothing major..
    you didnt miss much up in our area.. Bob said it was hot and nothing but small bucks and yrlings moving..

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Dragging a deer sucks. I once took off on foot for a stalk. I was about a half mile from the road when I busted a nice buck. Dragging that beast through thick mesquite brush without a trail sucked. With all the breaks I took, it was about a 2 hour ordeal. Packing a gun, binoculars and dragging a un-gutted deer because you left your knife behind really sucks. It field dressed 165 pounds. It was probably over 200 lbs with the guts. That damn near killed me. I'd rather grab onto a pole and let someone give me licks for an hour with a wood paddle than do that again.:eek:

After that horrible adventure, I started carrying a little compass with me. That straight line 1/2 mile back to the truck was probably over one mile with all the lefts and rights and bad guessing of where the road was located.

In fact, I didn't shoot anything for a few years unless I could drive up to it.:)

7. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Yeah tell me about it. I suspected it was nothing - hoped so but since I have a history of heart issues in the family the doctor recommend going in and getting everything checked out...First time I've ever had a stress test done...think I can do without another for a couple of years :) The wife said I shouldn't go hunting this weekend, yeah right... :) I'll be out there with the cooler temps. The landowner shot that big boar on the place Saturday.

Earl

darn Earl, watch out for those chest pains.. Glad it was nothing major..
    you didnt miss much up in our area.. Bob said it was hot and nothing but small bucks and yrlings moving..

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Yeah tell me about it. I suspected it was nothing - hoped so but since I have a history of heart issues in the family the doctor recommend going in and getting everything checked out...First time I've ever had a stress test done...think I can do without another for a couple of years :) The wife said I shouldn't go hunting this weekend, yeah right... :) I'll be out there with the cooler temps. The landowner shot that big boar on the place Saturday.

Earl

Getting rid of that old boar might help the deer hunting a bit... Good luck this weekend.. I gotta work.. I might sneak out on monday...

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I killed a couple of pigs last week. One was a tender 25 pound female and the other was about a 75 pound sow. Both fell right in their tracks. As we were looking at the second one right after I shot it....my dog, (the boxer), took off after all of the other pigs onto my neighbor's ranch. After a couple of minutes we heard her barking and shortly after we heard a young pig squealing away. Needless to say....she came back with a mouthful of blood and had blood all over her face and chest.

That dumb dog didn't bring home the catch and I haven't seen the pigs since. I hope that they show up again.

I was out checking the feeders yesterday and we drove past about seven turkeys, (gobblers). I can do a pretty good turkey call and started my female call. They all stopped in their tracks and started heading towards us. They were all pretty big and look ready for the bbq pit. It's great to see turkeys again....it's been a couple of years since we have seen them.

A friend and his wife sat in the blinds on Sunday and saw lots of does and one little buck. It looks like it's going to be a pretty good hunting season. I can't wait for it to get colder down here. Good luck guys.....

10. Earl

Earl Senior Member

What kind of dog do you have? I envy you. I wish I could do that with my dogs. But they'd probably never come back! :) One of my Shepherds just likes to pee on everything and the other failed obedience school and would probably keep running to Jack county.

I should have shot a turkey last weekend but like the idiot I was I didn't check the regulations for the county I was in and didn't want to risk there not being a fall season (there was). Had a group of nice sized ones come through but they scattered when I shot the 8 pointer.

I have them on my place in Young County too but for the second year in a row they seem to flee before the season starts up.

Earl