Opening weekend report

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, with high anxiety and expectations of opening weekend, Arrived at deer camp after a grueling drive through Texas motor speedway traffic.. even all of the short cuts were horrific. Sat. morning was chilly with 15-20mph wind.
    Deer werent moving too much. Saw a doe and a couple of small bucks.
    Back in the stand for the evening hunt. not as cool but southeast wind still howling. See 4 does cross about 250yds down the sendero. Big buck follows about 15 minutes later.. I know he wouldnt be back, so I made the decision to try to get ahead of him. the wind was in my favor. I haul buns through the creek bottom to get to the backside of the tank damn. I glass for a few minutes and finally see him. Nice wide 8pt with big white horns. He comes out of the brush with his head down, still about 175yds away. He's on the trot and he wont stop, I try grunting, whistling.. nada. still going.
    Ok deep breath. stop shaking. squeeze...................................
    And a miss... Dangit!!!!!! I put another shell in the chamber hoping he would stop, but he high tailed it out of there. With my tail tucked between my legs, I headed back to camp. Bob, didnt see much either. So we put another 150lbs of corn on the back road for the pigs.. We sneak up on them once and miss. then make another round and Bob shoots this big pig with my 243.

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Looks like your little girl had a great time also. I shot two does Saturday morning. Left home at 6:15 and had a short 30 minute drive. By 10:00 I had two does quartered in a cooler. I'm going to a nice place in two weeks that has a axis and audad problem.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I am sorry about the buck. Hoepfully he will hang around for a while. With all the food on your place there should be plenty of does, hence maybe you will get another shot.

4. Argo

Argo Senior Member

sounds like fun. I enjoyed hunting with my son last year but this year I am holding out. Due to lazyness of some hunting buddies last year we lost alot of meat and I dont see the use in wasting a bunch of anmimals if it is just gonna get freezer burnt

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

It is fun, My daughter loves to get in camo and go and try and rattle up some bucks. They wouldnt cooperate with us this past weekend. I think the 25mph winds had something to do with it. I hate to waste meat as well. If I cant eat it all, my employees certainly will.

Attached Files:

6. newman

newman Senior Member

Hey Bret, Great pics and that is a nice pig! Any idea of how much it weighed? It looks like it is in the 250-300lb class. It looks like your daughter had a great time.

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Chris, I think he might have been a little better than 300. it took me and Bob to set him up straight for the pics. There are some out there bigger.. I will try and way lay some more on my next trip, in a week or so.
    Yeah, Jade has a big time going hunting with me. She got camo'd up and went with me to rattle for a while. She was with us when we shot the hog. she thought that was real cool!

Attached Files: