opening weekend report

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, my wife had to work at the Ft Worth EOC for Gustav evacuees.. so i loaded up my daughter and headed to deer camp.. it was hot.. ended up catching a 130lb boar in the trap.. he got us $50 from the hog buyer.. so that will fill a couple of feeders.. Stepped out of the truck and nearly stepped on a rattler. I dang near sharted.. Popped him in the head with my 22mag and one more that took his rattler off.. You guys be careful and watch your step... we have seen a few snakes this year..
    We saw some decent deer coming to the feeders.. but nothing special. We fixed some feeders and stands. did a little mowing and fishing.. Jade caught a nice perch...
    We woke up at 4am on monday and headed down to weatherford for dove opener.. pulled in the pasture and there were at least a dozen trucks allready there.. not a good sign.. The birds werent flying too good. we got 3 and after getting peppered several times, we figured it was best to get my 5yr old daughter out of the field and head to the house.. There was one guy that was blasting the crap out of the pigeons.. I guess he thought they were giant dove.. here are a couple of pics

Attached Files:

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Those snakes are great filleted out so that they are boneless. Bake them in some butter, garlic, salt and black pepper.

Man that tractor brings some memories back. No telling how many hours I have drove with no power steering and brakes that might work.

3. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Hey Bret,

I got out to my place for the first time since March this weekend too. Didn't see any birds flying. Took care of some feeders like you and checked the cameras. Since I hadn't been out they pretty much had filled up the memory sticks before the antlers came back so this weekend will hopefully have some pics, hopefully of something besides...HOGS, and more hogs...sheesh. I am going to do some trapping and shooting too. If I'm lucky the little bastages left when the corn ran out a couple of months back for greener pastures...they knocked over my tripod feeder to show thier displeasure in not being fed anymore...grrrrr

I am really, really hating hogs...Oh and of course I didn't ever get out there to hunt turkey but what do I see on the cameras all during turkey season (other than hogs of course - yep, a big ass gobler).

Thanks for the reminder on the snakes...I need to really watch that. Had the whole family tromping around the place yesterday, I had guns but of course they were in the truck...will be sure to keep the pistol on me the rest of the summer.

Earl

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Yeah, them snakes will be in the last place you would expect them.. Nearly stepped on one a couple of years ago. got up to pee in the middle of the night.. just got a good stream going then ttttttttttttttt! he was about 5ft from the camp trailer.. I guess he was eating the mice..
    Good luck this season.. you ought to bring the boys over some afternoon and catch some bass..

5. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I'd like that. It's getting to the time I'll be going out there alot.

I meant to try out stock tank last weekend but we never did. Wife was too tired after driving back from the parents in Lubbock.

Earl

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man, we caught 12 in the trap last night.. 4 or 5 ham sammich sized and the rest 80-110 lbs.. There was another 12 or so around when Bob pulled up to check the trap.. so That makes 13 in the past 5days.. Looks like we will be having some fresh roast piglet this weekend!!!!!!