360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an arrangement with Capt Dom for bluefin jigging/popping every Friday. If anyone from GOM is interested in bluefin jigging and popping in Cape Cod Bay, let me know. There is no fuel surchage and they don't charge fuel extra. :) If you want to fish multi days, it can be done.
Here is the detailed information.

Capt: Capt Dom, RI
Boat: 27 ft Whiptail center console with 9 1/2 ft wide beam and twin 225 Mercury. It runs upto 60 miles.
Dock: Green Harbor, MA, but it can be changed depending on where to go.
Rate: $250 per person including tip for four guys
$300 per person including tip for three guys.
Fishing Hours: at least 10 hours.

I can join the boat from July 6 after the Big E trip, TX, but he can sails any Friday from now on if there are at least three guys.
If weather is bad on Fridays, we have option to switch to other weekdays.

Let me know what dates you want to go.
Full fare has to be sent to Capt. Dom at least one week before the sail date.

Popping bluefin has been great with 100 - 150 lbs range last 10 days.

·
1,579 Posts
That sounds great, I will keep you posted. How long does the run usually last and do we have to go far out to fish for them?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah so tempting.
Bret,
Tempting ? I know you and Rich can not resist. It is a must trip. :) It is amazing you catch big tuna only a few miles from shore.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds great, I will keep you posted. How long does the run usually last and do we have to go far out to fish for them?
I usually last until Oct. But this is time for tuna popping. Later on we don't see them much popping and we jig them. Right now fish are at the tip of Cape Cod, but you have to across the bay and the distance is about 10 - 20 miles depending on where you sail.

·
1,579 Posts
I usually last until Oct. But this is time for tuna popping. Later on we don't see them much popping and we jig them. Right now fish are at the tip of Cape Cod, but you have to across the bay and the distance is about 10 - 20 miles depending on where you sail.

Your right this is a must do trip. I will check my calender to try to get the earlier date possible.

G

·
kil, how will we get from cape may to cape cod? my parents live in king of prussia area as you know, but they are far apart. as of now i can do july 25 weekend. would you want to do that? i think my dad may be interested.

·
1,579 Posts
Looks like I will have to miss out on bluefin popping this season. I have more things coming up than expected.

·
40 Posts
i live here in mass and can tell you that last year we had fish till nov 11 in the bay. The action is real nice right now but will only get better as times goes on. The bait is starting to change and the pogies are moving out and we are now seeing sandeels out there. The past two days have been slower because of the full moon but will pickup any day now where we left off. I am usually on the water mating for offshoreanglercharters atleast three days a week or own my boat. i will try to keep you guys as posted as possible to the action up this way. Good Luck and Happy Hunting out there

Tim

·
1,086 Posts
timothy11.

Thanks for the post ,

All though from the Texas gang I am spending this summer just hours away
from the Nor East Ports

And need to learn more about which baits to toss as the season
moves forward.

So please keep posting.
Thanks

K2

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went tuna popping out of Cape Cod Bay yesterday (06-19).
The fishing condition was perfect with calm weather and excellent visibility. I saw lots of whales and birds, but I didn't see single tuna popping all day.

However today fishing by Sami's group on the Blackrose was different.
They fished exactly same areas I fished and had three bft and lost four on poppers. I heard Sami was accounted for most hook-ups. He must did right things. I heard stickbait worked better than poppers.

G

·
how heavy were most jigs you were using? i have a lot of lighter jigs in the 150-250g range, but not many 350g+. Not sure what I need to get :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kil - from what I've heard, the popping is more reliable in sept/oct. have you found this to be true?
Yes. Normally the popping is more reliable in late season. Last year was an exception.
But you never know. I think it is something to do with what they feed on.
We catch bluefin out of Cape May almost near bottom now as sandeel stay near the bottom. They feed on sandeel in Cape Cod Bay too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts