360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the drags with Carbontex on my Saltist 20H. Everything was installed back correctly (I actually tripled checked my work).

I mounted the reel on my rod and got out the mechanical scale. I held the rod at a 45 deg angle and had a buddy hold the scale as I pulled. The scaled measured 11lbs locked down. Does this sound right to anyone? Alan Tani? I thought this was suppose to get around 15lbs?

I replaced he drags on my SA30T and SA50 and they both held over 2Xlbs so I am familiar with the reels.

I think I am also going to try another scale to see what it pulls.

·
170 Posts
did you measure the drag with the factory washers? my saltiga 20 gets 15lbs with the star snug. i can probably get 17lbs if i really get aggresive with the star. carbontex didnt really increase my drag. just made it smoother. good luck

·
5,457 Posts
Your (()) washers are backwards

d-a

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you measure the drag with the factory washers? my saltiga 20 gets 15lbs with the star snug. i can probably get 17lbs if i really get aggresive with the star. carbontex didnt really increase my drag. just made it smoother. good luck

I wished I did. :(

Did you grease the drag washers?

Yep. Used Cal's drag washer grease.

do you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?

I am using spectra but its backed with 16# mono on it.

Your (()) washers are backwards

d-a

I actually triple checked those washers to make sure they are in that position and they are.

My guess is maybe the scale I am using is not as accurate as it use to be.

·
1,386 Posts
I don't own this reel but I a couple of Penn 49Ls that are similar. On that reel there is one drag spring, a cupped washer. I noticed a big difference in drag depending on which side of the washer was up. I got the most drag when the cupped side was toward the top drag washer, and when the collar (see parts diagram) was on the rounded side.

Your reel has two springs that look like they might be the same. It's a pain to get them in and out and experiment, but that might make a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts