One Assist Hook or Two?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by merlot, Nov 22, 2008.

1. merlot

merlot Guest

Do you use one assist hook or two when rigging your knife jigs? What are the advantages of either setup?

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If you use 2 hooks you have the possibility of catching 2 fish at the same time. You also have a chance to drive the second hook through your hand when you are unhooking your fish. So there are pros and cons to both. I have doubled up on fish countless times with 2 hooks.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i use one assist hook. i dont see any advantage to two assist hooks at the same height. i do see some reasoning behind one bottom, one top assist hook

4. gman

gman Senior Member

One Huge Wide Assist hook

5. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

You also have a chance to drive the second hook through your hand when you are unhooking your fish.

Very true :) but.... gotta use two IMO as the hook-up ratio seems to be a little better and when your working so hard I need all the help I can get !!!

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Very true :) but.... gotta use two IMO as the hook-up ratio seems to be a little better and when your working so hard I need all the help I can get !!!

I agree 100%, I also use 2 but you do certainly have to be carefull when unhooking the fish or fishes.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

if you need to use two, I would suggest using two different lengths because 2 assist hook same length tend to get fouled and caught on leader. If you use a big enough hook you wont miss any strikes

1/3 length of jig

[​IMG]

WIDE ... so you dont get stuck on jig and so it locks around fishes jaw

[​IMG]

8. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

nice to know this is great information for someone like me, but what about the hook on the end? what kinds do you reccomend?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

gamakatsu siwash hooks in 8/0 work well...you can try other regular jigging hooks or treble hooks. ive used all 3 and had them all work.

10. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

gamakatsu siwash hooks in 8/0 work well...you can try other regular jigging hooks or treble hooks. ive used all 3 and had them all work.

I think after reading quite a bit I will use a single assist hook , but what size jigs what brand, etc.... soo many questions.. also when you fish this way do you forgo the hook on the bottom all together?

I wish there was a video of someone jigging for tuna, it would answer alot of my OCD questions lol

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I don't use the hook on the bottom, I just use one or two from the top.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

there are lots of ways to do things. you never know what will work on a given day. there are several methods for jigging and everyone has their own unique style. sometimes one style, lure, etc will work and other times another works. the more you go the less you know ;)

if i am slow jigging then i use a hook on the bottom generally. speed jigging i generally use an assist hook. depends on what i feel like doing and what is working that day.

the fish in my avatar was caught slow jigging an OTI 300g jumbo jig with a single treble hook on the bottom.

13. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Bret,

After reading your post I know what I will be trying next time! Thanks.