360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t need another reel, but I’ve always wanted a Stella — just something more smooth than my Saragossa SW’s.

I can‘t justify $1k for a new 8000, but I have a chance to get a like-new 01 8000PG for well under $500. Any significant cons to getting one that this old? I’m not entirely sure I understand the versions, but I assume it’s from the early 2000’s?

thx!

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
No parts available from Shimano if it goes to hell.
That said, I have a 2001 8000FA that I've used regularly with no problems for over 15 yrs..

·
Registered
163 Posts
As mentioned, No parts. I’ve heard of ppl using aftermarket parts and parts from different reels. If you’re buying a reel that’s been passed around you may end up the a Frankenstein reel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the oldest Stella that's currently supported? With most of my reels I rarely get them professionally serviced anyway, and just try to keep up with DIY maintenance, and trash when they get really crunch or sell on eBay for parts. But a Stella would be an order of magnitude in expense from the Sustain's and Stradic's and Saragossa's I currently use.

I also did some reading and it seems like the '08 version was lighter and stronger.

What would y'all look for if you wanted a used Stella?

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I hear Shimano usually keeps parts for 5-7 years after the model has been discontinued. You could probably get the older Stella serviced by a 3rd party repair service, but I don't believe Shimano will do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Stella 1st gen SW is the oldest US model still supported through Shimano.
If you own a Stella (shimano top-tier class) it is covered under Shimano's Platinum service.
just send it in to Irvine HQ. Cost is $35 and they fix EVERYTHING, Even rotors and main body pieces, as long as abuse is not suspected.
Back in 2010 or 11, when Shimano announced they would no longer support the FA models in the US, I sent my 8000 in and got it back in a week with a new rotor asm, bail asm, and side cover along with all bearings, etc. Cost- 35 bucks!
There was nothing wrong with these parts, they just needed to dump the inventory. Yay me!!!
You can still find FA parts on EBAY.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@lite-liner - it's $35 for a full service?? Wow. Does this apply to 2nd owners and/or Japanese models? A lot of the used, lower-priced/older Shimanos are being sold directly from Japan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx all -- passed on this deal. I think I'd like something newer and larger than 8k anyway, which I already have covered. If I get serious about a YFT trip in 2022 -- either chartered, or from my own boat -- I'd probably want...a 10k-14k reel size? At some point, with fuel costs and everything else, a couple hundred bucks on a reel one way or the other on a fishing reel is a rounding error.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
There's a 10k SW for sale here for a good price.....
Seller has a good rep here for years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm…they all seem sold? There’s a 14k TP and 20K Stella, but the latter is a but larger than I’m looking for

·
6,521 Posts
Just an FYI- I have a bunch of the 1st Gen Silver/Gold Stella 8K/10Ks & the bodies are the same size & the spools are interchangeable... 10K is HG & Spool is deeper & holds more line...

·
38 Posts
Which year/model 'Gosa do you have?

I just got a 2020 10K and it is buttery. Alan Hawk actually rates the '20 Gosa as a bit better than the '19 Stella, shocker.

I only have an '08 18K Stella for comparison and they are comparable in smoothness; the humble 'Gosa has come a long way. Will probably plunk down the 3 bills for a 14K for Xmas, a bargain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an 8000 SW Saragosa that I bought in 2019 and a 6000 SW that I bought early this year - the reel definitely looks different so it’s a 2020 or maybe a 2021 model?

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but neither is as smooth as my old Sustain 6000 FJ, which has been an awesome reel. I notice the bail doesn’t automatically close consistently, either, on the Gosa 6k. I also replaced a couple bearings on the 8k Gods with ceramic, and from time to time it makes a horrible sounding “whhrrrrr” when I’m cranking.

I’m assuming ( a mistake?) a Stella will be butter smooth or easily able to be returned to butter smooth.

·
38 Posts
Shimano might have skimped on the new Gosa 5K & 6K which share the same body as the 2 smallest models of the line.

The 8, 10 and 14K are the midsized members of the line, likely different internals. Keep in mind that these are basically $300 reels so they really won't ever be exactly as buttery but after an extensive teardown Alan Hawk feels this class within the line has overall bested the corresponding Stellas.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Am I the only person who doesn't get all hung up on "butter-smooth" operation in a tuna reel?
Newsflash- catch about 5 or 6 good tuna's to break in that Stella and see what you feel. It ain't butter.
Maybe I'm off-base here but I use Stella's for their STRENGTH, not "butter-smoothness". I actually like a good gearing feel, lets me know everything is good. All my Stella's are over 10 years old, including a 20yr old 8000FA. Smoothness has never factored in the reel's ability to turn a large tuna when necessary.
Just sayin...... :)

·
12 Posts
I agree with the above post, if you're going to get an older generation Stella the 2008 SW Models (silver body with gold accents) were great reels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts