360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Okuma Vsystems 65a reel which is really a very nice reel for the price .....I hear that the oiled felt drag washers have a habbit of squashing down and not lasting ....Has anyone upgraded these washers to Carbontex washers ? .... Any idea's on this from you reel mech's out there ? ....Thanks, Jim

·
168 Posts
Let me know what you find, I was thinking about buying this same reel. What rod are you putting it on?

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I have a St Croix SWS76MHF but will end up putting it on a 7'6" OTI when the new blanks come out ....Jim

I had a chance to talk to Capt Rich from the Black Rose Fishing .....They have been using the Okuma gear and he says that he is not updating the drags , and says that they work just fine for him with the felt washers that they come with and they use their gear every day when the Tuna are in ...He has been using the largest Salina reels ...My Vsystems 65a is one size smaller than the largest ....I wanted to stay as light and small as possible ... I'll probably pick up a Vsystems 80 if the 65 works out ....

The conventionals that Okuma has out now are pretty nice too !!.... They're not the old Okuma that we have all been use to in the past .... Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts