Okuma Salina/used rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jb2c, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Any feedback on the Okuma Salina 80 reels? Anybody tried one? They're said to have 80lbs max drag capacity. I certainly don't need 80lbs, but wondered how they hold up under heavy drag.

Have considered the Saragosa, the Cabo 80, the Spheros, the Stradic, the Penn Slammers and the Penn 750-950SS. Have read negatives on all of them. But can't seem to find much on the Salina, good or bad. Anybody used one for awhile?

This will be my first jigger setup, so I'm going with something low budget until I see how I like it. No Stella type pricing for me at this point! It'll have to be something under $200. And about the same on the rod. BTW, leaning towards a used OTI, if anyone is thinking of selling one. Or other suggestions for used rods in the $200 or less price point.

JB

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you have patience, you may be able to get an OTI rod for a good price, depend on who is selling them.

out of the reels you mentioned id recommend either a cabo or saragosa. saragosa had some drag cap issues but you can get an updated one from shimano. otherwise the one i had has caught tuna to 90lbs and ajs to 90lbs without any problems. i say 'had' because i sold it to my dad since he used it more than i did :)

3. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Bret, I'm about out of patience! If I don't see something in the next couple days, I'll just buy a Trevalla locally and cross my fingers. I'm ready to go fishing! Did have a PM from someone advising me to try a shop in La for good prices on OTI rods. I'll call them tomm and see.

What about the Okuma Salina. Specs sure look good. Any word on them?

JB

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i had a salina 45. paint chips first day. second day bail warps. third day the bail breaks. fourth day i tossed it. it looks real good on paper but in use it let me down. the drag is oiled felt like cloth. i liked the drag but on a big fish that stuff will burn. the main shaft is paper thin and seemed real flimsy.

saragosa is a tank. cabo is a very close second and the ssm are a distant third. i have or had all four. pm me if you want specifics on any.

def. wait and get an oti rod. a 300g spin rod is an awesome rod and fun to use. you will like the trevala until you get a decent fish on. then you will immediately want to sell it and get a stronger rod. i have used every budget rod out there and learned valuable lessons. again email or pm for specifics.

Andrew

5. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Andrew, thanks for the reply. But the bail problem is a well known one, which Okuma supposedly corrected. What year did you buy the Salina 45? Had not heard about the paint chipping though.

Actually, I was mixed up. It's not the Salina, but the V-80a Okuma I was looking at. Would be nice if the model numbers weren't that close. But maybe that's on purpose!

I've read more negatives on the Saragosa than on the Cabo. It's ranked over the Saragosa on my list right now. But that V-80a is at the top of the list right now.

I hear ya on the OTI rod. But a new one is over my budget. And I just haven't seen anything used within my budget in two weeks of watching for it. I'm giving it 2-3 more days, and if I don't see a used OTI that's priced like I need it by then, I'm going Trevalla. Might regret it, but at least I'll be out fishing when I do! And if it breaks, the local tackle shop can replace it same day vs having to mess with shipping, then waiting (weeks?) for a replacement OTI. Wish they sold the OTI rods locally here in NC., so I could walk in and get a replacement same day. But I also understand if I get a good rod, then not near as likely I'll have to even worry about a replacement. No question that's the best option.

JB

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I've read more negatives on the Saragosa than on the Cabo. It's ranked over the Saragosa on my list right now. But that V-80a is at the top of the list right now.

I think you see more negatives on the Saragosa because more ppl bought and used the Saragosa vs Cabo. Of course if more Saragosa's are out there, you'll see more feedback on it. I would rather have a reel that has been through many users and know what it's capable of and what it's not, than a reel that hasn't been through as much, IMO.

If OTI is out of your price range, then good luck with the Trevala, it's an inshore rod suitable for inshore snapper fishing and that's about it.

7. papio

papio Senior Member

Go get a Hopper and stay away from the Trevala.

8. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Maybe you could try one of the barefoot rods. They are cheap and i've heard decent comments on them considering the money you pay for them. I've seen them on ebay for $50. You could save the rest and keep your eye out for an OTI. Worse you could be out is $50 or look at the hopper rods or sea magic rods. They are both reasonably priced, but you could never go wrong with the OTI if you can find one. I love mine.

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the only negative ive heard about the saragosa is the drag cap melting. and both times it was on a really big fish that tore lots of line off. my cabo 80 had anti-reverse problems shortly after purchasing. i have heard of many problems with the bigger cabos. i have a cabo 60 and love it however.
    i have many trevalas and love them. i also have hooked into fish with them that i coulnt handle. if it fits the budget get it. treat it well and it will sell on ebay when you are ready to upgrade. have fun with what ever you get!!

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Shimano will provide a drag cap replacement to fix the melting issue. Just send them email to ask for it.

11. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate the input.

One thing I just noticed... the OTI rods say max drag of either 20 or 30 lbs. I had wanted to get a reel that was capable of alot of drag, then see what drag setting worked best. Heck, that V-80A Okuma is supposed to do 80lbs! If I deided to go with the drag really heavy, at least on the strike for bottom fishing, is there another rod that can handle something like 40lbs at stike? And still keep me at that $200 price point?

I'll ck out the Hopper rods. Seems like I had looked a a couple pics of those and thought they were ugly though. Fish don't care, but I do. I don't need pretty, but I don't want ugly either.

JB

12. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Checked out the Sea Magic rod. Their site doesn't say anything about warranty or blanks used, and they aren't close to me. Like the looks, price seems good, but seems they don't have any heavy jigging rod.

Looked at the Hopper again, and I didn't see much in the way of pictures. Amazes me that a company that doesn't put rods in any of the local tackle shops doesn't have bunches of pics out there. They might be good at building rods, but they suck at web site marketing. They need both to get their product sold. Unless they have a whole lot of years for the word to get around. I need to go into business marketing for some of these guys!

The one picture of the Hopper I did see didn't impress me much. Guides look sort of flimsy. No info on blank or warranty that I could find easily. That Trevalla may break, but at least I know I can go get a new one, no questions asked. That means something. And it looks OK. Without good info on other choices, still seems like my money goes to either OTI or Shimano. I've heard the digs against Trevala, but I'm just not seeing another good choice for the price I have budgeted. Unless I can find the used OTI. Definitely needs to have a good warranty with it. Does the OTI warranty transfer with the rod?

Rod and reel will be for offshore bottom fishing mainly. 75-150' for the most part. Want something that will handle those big AJ's we get here in NC though!

JB

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Checked out the Sea Magic rod. Their site doesn't say anything about warranty or blanks used, and they aren't close to me. Like the looks, price seems good, but seems they don't have any heavy jigging rod.

Sea Magic Dragonfly rods are good low budget jigging rods. The 600g Dragonfly is a heavy jigging rod.

14. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

have you ever fished a reel using over 25 lbs of drag? if you plan on fishing 40 plus you are an ironman!! i use 18-25 max and it pulls anything off the rigs here.
    no okuma even the lever drags will produce 80 pounds of drag. ever

that being said im not hating. i wanted a okuma v series when i first started. for the money even if it only produces 20 lbs of drag consistently with out completely exploding id be happy with it.
    i had a sea magic rod. very nice rods. the 600g rod is very heavy duty. not very fun to use all day, but , if you plan on using heavy drag it might work for you.

15. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

What are you trying to catch with that high of drag?Anything higher than 25-30 your gonna need a harness after a while.Most fish would be fine on 20lbs of drag.I say saragosa and from what i here there warranty dept.should take care of any problems.

16. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Couldn't sleep. Must be thinking too much about this rod and reel decision!

Thanks again guys. Lordhell, your and Andrew's comments on the Sea Magic made me go back and look again. I had assumed that Dragonfly would mean saltwater fly rods, so never clicked on that link. They look ideal, from what I can tell from the piss poor selection of pictures on their web site. (Guess I shouldn't get hung up on this, but how hard can it be to put up multiple pictures on your own web site, so the customer really knows what they're about to buy? How much stuff do most people buy nearly sight unseen? They spend all the time to build a good rod, then don't really show the customer what they're buying. They have way more pictures of fish caught than they do of their rods!)

Two other questions... does it make any sense to see if they can install the guides that are on their conventional reels onto a spinner? I just like those style guides much better. Since I'm not typically going to be casting this rod, what difference does it really make? They may not be stronger, but they sure look to be. Bracing looks stronger. Also, 400g or 600g? I won't be using 600g jigs, but I do want to put the heat to 'em. I'll probably be using 4-10oz jigs. But I'd like to run a pretty heavy strike drag. Then crank it up a bit from there. So do you buy a rod based on the jig weight you plan to use, or the drag force you want to use? I'm thinking 400g for more jigging action, and easier on me for the day. But thinking 600g if I want to crank up that drag. So which way to go?

I'll use a plate to fight. Already got that. I can't see any reason to wear myself out without one. And add a 'Get Strapped' or similiar bracket as well. Probably install a line counter on the rod too. Yes, I've fished heavy drags. We run 28lbs strike drag for BFT. I won't fight the fish at heavy drag (unless necc.) but do want to be able to set it heavy for that first few seconds to get em off the bottom. Actually am going to try to set it reasonable for the strike, then immediately go heavy to pull them up some, then back off. That's what I want to try anyway. I'd think fish it 10-12, then get the gimbal into the plate (plan is to wear it the whole time) and crank it to 20-25lbs for 10-20 seconds, then back off to whatever feels right for the fish that's on. Only time I'd ever go beyond something like 25lbs is if the fish is winning. Nice to know more is there if needed. If I ever put 40lbs drag on it, it will be out of a 30d swivel rod holder. Would that be considered to be high sticking? I need a rod that won't explode with 25+lbs of drag on it. Will the Hopper or Sea Magic or Trevalla handle it?

Andrew, at least Okuma claims the V-80a will do 80lbs of drag. It supposed to have a dual drag system that allows it to get that kind of drag. Their marketing dept claims 99lbs, but when pushed, they said it was probably ONLY capable of 80lbs. Read a review where one guy supposedly tested it. He broke 60# Suffix with it, so sounds like it at least does 60lbs. Then he tried to break 100# PowerPro (anyone know what 100#PP really breaks at?). The drag started creeping and would not break the PowerPro. He then palmed the spool for additional pressure and broke the PowerPro, as he wanted to also test the bail and roller strength. Said it held up fine. Dunno if true. I wasn't there. Could have been someone that works for Okuma, for all I know. But it's got me looking at the reel anyways. Anybody got a recent one? They say the older ones, like over a year or so old, was not the same reel as the current one. They supposedly listened to consumer complaints and went back and fixed the issues, so careful to ask the age if you hear a bad report. But I'm still debating Saragosa, Cabo and this Okuma V-80a.

Anybody know the warranty on that Sea Magic rod? Lifetime? A few years no questions asked type? Nada? If it has warranty, I'll call and ask them to email me more pics. Thanks again for pointing it out to me (again).

Sorry for the long post.

JB

17. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Since you're on a tight budget, you might also want to check out the Daiwa Saltiga Deep Range Jigging rods. I think they have spinning model with the heaviest action at 5'9" length, line weight at 80 - 200lb and lure weight rating of 9 1/2 to 11 5/8 oz. I think it retails for $150. Good luck on your gear selection.

18. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Thanks Castmaster. Anyone else that can comment on the Daiwa Saltiga rods? My local tackle shop does carry them and they also have lifetime warranty, I believe he said. About the same price as the Trevala I think. But I didn't look at them that closely. Are they in the same league with the Trevalas, or more like the OTI's? Are they a better choice than Trevala, if I can't find something else?

JB

19. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I own most of the rods mentioned on this thread. If you ask me to pick between a Trevala and the Saltiga, I'll go with the Saltiga hands down. I like the Saltiga's bias construction blank. They're light, slimmer, and have a parabolic action. The OTI is a much stronger jigging rod. You shouldn't compare the 600 gram rated OTI with the Trevala or the Saltiga. Both don't have rods at the 600 gram rating the OTI rod is capable of. The OTI is a beast and it's going to be hard to find a similar rod at that price range. 600 grams is about 21oz, that's alot of jig weight bro.

20. papio

papio Senior Member

Trevala is a great light action rod regardless what the rating is. However they are weak offshore sticks that I beg you not to purchase unless u plan on using for freshwater in near future.

Nuff said about Trevalas. If u are so budgeted then here's what u should browse around for. Hopper, Sea Magic, Barefoot, Boca, and Saltiga. All have good strong backbone that won't hurt ur wallet.